29 replies to this topic

#1 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 10,344 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:02 AM

My favorite time of the year, especially now that the Flyers are back in the Finals. Brushed aside the Canadiens to set up a Philadelphia - Chicago series. Should be a good one. Being a homer, I'll say the Flyers in 6 or 7.

image001.png

Lou

#2 edhunter76

edhunter76

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:55 AM

I go for Flyers also. It's a bit suprise that they got this far. Flyers has two Finnish players, so hopefully they win this. Leino was basically crap when playing in Detroit, but now he's been playing quite well. Timonen has been Flyers defence's back bone for long time and now with Pronger their defence is very strong.

Chicago has a Finnish goal keeper Antti Niemi, so this year there will be at least one Finnish Stanley Cup winner also.

It's going to be exciting final series.

#3 macrusk

macrusk

Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:02 AM

Sentimentally, I hope Chicago wins. They were one of two top teams in their division. Habs ran out of steam from their underdog wins, Flyers may have done the same by the time they play Chicago.
Regards, Michelle

Oliver Goldsmith, "I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." :flag_canada_ww2: :flag_canada: :flag_uk:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• 20,310 posts

User's Awards

Posted 26 May 2010 - 02:56 PM

I wished to see Selänne-Koivu (Anaheim) in the finals but it will be great to see some "new" teams in the finals anyway. For me it´s enough that another Finn will definitely win the cup, however I prefer the goalie Niemi for some reason. Maybe it´s because it´s him instead of the big-money goalie doing the goaltending... ;)
Posted Image

#5 Spaniard

Spaniard

Dishonorably Discharged

• Dishonorably Discharged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 03:28 PM

What a game last night, the Hawks won :dance4: by the Score of 6-5 over the Flyer's. 11 Goals The Guns were out in full Force.:D

GO Hawks GOOOoooooo
Those that have Evolved will sooner or later
run out of Ammo, and will be at the Merci
from the One who still carries as back up a
34" Warrior Wakizashi Knife!

#6 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• 20,310 posts

User's Awards

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:35 AM

Always good to see goals although the goalies don´t like it... ;)
Posted Image

#7 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:52 PM

The Flyers aren't doing too well so far, and if I'm not mistaken the team that wins the first two home games almost always wins the Stanley Cup. The Philly team will really have its work cut out for it.
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#8 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• 10,344 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:55 PM

Until Chicago gets 4 wins, there is still hope.

image001.png

Lou

#9 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• 20,310 posts

User's Awards

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:51 AM

If Philadelphia wins both home games it will be 2-2. So nothing lost yet for Philadelphia. If they lose even one home game then it´s pressure time as Chicago takes the advantage. I have a feeling this might not end until game seven...
Posted Image

#10 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• 20,310 posts

User's Awards

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:58 PM

Well, now the games are tied in 2-2.

Check the "incredible" Ville Leino goal 4-1.

Ville Leino scores yet again Video - NHL VideoCenter
Posted Image

#11 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• 10,344 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:50 PM

Kai, my wife and I watched the game on the edge of our seats. I think Chicago is a bit rattled. With luck, the Flyers win on Sunday, then seal the deal at home in 6.

image001.png

Lou

#12 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:33 AM

When you figure the "hawks" only beat your Flyers in Chicago by a goal each time (right?), they might be in real trouble in the long haul.

Here's hoping for ya!
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#13 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• 10,344 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:46 AM

That's my hope. From my perspective, the Flyers could have won either or both of the first two games. I'll be glued to the TV tomorrow night.

image001.png

Lou

#14 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• 20,310 posts

User's Awards

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:43 AM

If Chicago loses its home game advantage then I think Philadelphia will take the cup.

Either way a Finn will be celebrated as a crucial part of the winning team!! ;) ;)
Posted Image

#15 Spaniard

Spaniard

Dishonorably Discharged

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

Could be the Hawks lost their Mojo :rolleyes::D. I guess we'll see Tonight, if they Loose, I would Still not count them Out.

But the Flyers are on a Roll as ridding a High Horse, since they won those 4 straight games after being down by 3, KA the come back of the century.
Well Never been done before.

#16 Spaniard

Spaniard

Dishonorably Discharged

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:52 PM

Well the Blackhawks are back and with vengeance, Wining 7-5 what a Game the Big Guns Where out last night.
Not that many shoots on net a total of 55. 28-27 The Flyer's only out shot them by a Goal.

Well back to Phili :D we Goooooooo!

#17 Biak

Biak

Adjutant

• 5,625 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:51 PM

Are you guys talking about that sport where a bunch of people ice skate into each other while whacking a snuff can with a stick between the boxing matches?
  • brndirt1 likes this

Happiness is nice but it can't buy money.

Kilroy_Was_Here_by_catluvr2.gif

#18 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:01 PM

Biak, that is so true sometimes. Wasn't it Rodney Dangerfield who complained that he went to the fights and a damn hockey game broke out?
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#19 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• 10,344 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:12 PM

I understand your views, but believe me there is much less fighting now than there was 30-40 years ago. And, there is almost none during the playoffs. I've been a hockey fan since 1967 (when the Flyers came into existence). I was a season ticket holder for ten years, beginning with the 1973 season. My wife, then five year old son and I were at the Cup winning game in 1974. I don't think I've ever been in a more electric crowd than the one that day. I still get chills thinking about it.

I think the Flyers win on Wednesday, then it's a tossup for game seven. I hope for another Flyers Cup.

image001.png

Lou

#20 Biak

Biak

Adjutant

• 5,625 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:20 PM

I gotta' be careful, I forgot I'm living the North Land now and Hockey IS the National Pastime here. Actually it's more a Religion than a sport. I went to a game one time and never did see the puck (moved too fast) and wondered what all the Hoop-Lah was about hitting a little round disk into a net? I much prefer to hit a little white ball and go find it before hitting it into a hole in the ground. You don't see too many fights on the course unless Adam Sandler or Bob Barker (Happy Gilmore) are playing through.

#21 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:27 PM

I played a bit of "hockey" in my youth, on open rinks in the winter, but never got into the sport later in life. I did enjoy a few games of the minor league we have here in Montana, but lost interest eventually when I couldn't afford the time or the bucks to go to the games anymore. Never really cared for televised hockey for some reason, I mean the playoffs are something all together different. I spent Sunday night switching between the two stations when both NBA and NHL were playing at the same times. Time-out called in L.A., click Chicago/Philly is on. Back and forth all night.

As to golf. Hmmm. I have a great number of relatives who play and enjoy the game. I never saw the attraction somehow. I always felt like "hit the little ball, find the little ball, don't hit the damn little ball again. Put it in you stinking pocket and go to the bar." If I'm going to take my time to try and put a ball in a recepticle, you can bet it will be pocket billiards not golf.
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#22 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• 10,344 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:48 PM

I played some hockey as an adult (in my30's and on) until my knees betrayed me. We played pickup games at some really odd hours (2-4 AM on Saturday morning). Now I golf, after a fashion. George Carlin had a really great bit on golf that is not meant for polite company.

Biak, my theory on golf is, on the first hole, you should whack the best golfer in the group behind the knees when he is on the tee. Tell him that's a "gotcha" and you are allowed two a round, whenever your need them. He'll spend the rest of the round waiting for the whack, and his game goes to hell.

image001.png

Lou

#23 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:14 PM

I played some hockey as an adult (in my30's and on) until my knees betrayed me. We played pickup games at some really odd hours (2-4 AM on Saturday morning).

I played a bit of "semi-pro" basketball well into my thirties. By semi-pro I mean that a company paid for the transportation to the games, our meals and lodging, our uniforms (with the name on the back), and our ace bandages.

Played in a couple of Western Invitational Tournaments here in Montana, and while we were eliminated pretty soon, we did get to play with/against some future real "pros". My knees didn't leave me from that, but the motorcycle wrecks and past football and skiing had a cumulative effect.

Nate Archibald, and "Chocolate Thunder" D. Dawkins are the two later pros that come right to mind. But there were others. That tourney was "jungle rules" b-ball in many ways in the seventies and eighties; No blood? No foul. But exciting none the less,to both watch and play in.
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#24 Biak

Biak

Adjutant

• 5,625 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:35 PM

I played some hockey as an adult (in my30's and on) until my knees betrayed me. We played pickup games at some really odd hours (2-4 AM on Saturday morning). Now I golf, after a fashion. George Carlin had a really great bit on golf that is not meant for polite company.

Biak, my theory on golf is, on the first hole, you should whack the best golfer in the group behind the knees when he is on the tee. Tell him that's a "gotcha" and you are allowed two a round, whenever your need them. He'll spend the rest of the round waiting for the whack, and his game goes to hell.

Uh Lou?
I don't want to brag, (well maybe I do I'm tired of the PC crap), but I usually golf with guys that are not quite as good. So most times I'm considered the 'best?' in the group. I'll be sure to NOT mention your Theory!
One I can't and have never beaten is my Uncle who turns 90 in July. He still shoots in the mid 80's to low 90's and I just wouldn't feel right whacking him behind the knees. His complaint is he just doesn't get the distance he use to, but every shot is straight down the fairway. Luckily we only play for quarters.

#25 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:32 AM

One I can't and have never beaten is my Uncle who turns 90 in July. He still shoots in the mid 80's to low 90's and I just wouldn't feel right whacking him behind the knees.

Doesn't a guy like that just piss a person off to no end? Clear into his mid-seventies my Dad could sink a hook shot from the top of the key with hardly a miss. I never could beat him at a game of "horse" if he got the lead and started draining those buggers.

I mean he was starting to show signs of early onset Alzheimer's and he would still just take two steps to the side and "whang" nothing but net.
Happy Trails,
Clint.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users