Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

ideas for a novel?

Discussion in 'Fiction' started by Not One Step Back, May 31, 2010.

1. Not One Step Back

Not One Step Back Member

im working on a ww2 novel

i've got a couple of ideas- tell me what u think

1) the life of a disgraced red army officer in a penal battalion having to deal with the guilt of deserting his men (the reason he was placed in the penal unit.) One thing though: his memory of the battle is blank, so he doesn't know if he actually did desert them
    Main themes: caught between two totalatarian monsters, where does his loyalties lie?

2) a german teenager from an upper-middle class prussian family conscripted into the volksturm and thrown against the rampaging Red Army.
    Main themes: hopelessness, loss of youth, coming to terms with the fact his country brought it upon them

but nothings set in stone so if you have any ideas (pref. eastern front themed but doesnt have to be) throw them my way!

cheers

2. Jon George

Jon George Member

I'm not quite sure from the way you have worded this this post whether or not you are talking about ideas for two seperate books, but if they are plots for two different novels, why not intergrate them into one narrative? Perhaps even have the protagonists related in some way ...

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Scifi? A guy goes back in time to prevent certain Allied disasters, and things don't work out as he remembers them. He gradually realizes that by going back he's changed time (or is an alternate reality) and that his "foreknowledge" is largely useless. Just when he's about to give up trying to make things better he meets himself, from an even more distant future, with advice on how to make it all better.

4. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

Love the first idea...I'd really like to see that done. If you start writing, keep us up to date!