2 replies to this topic

#1 downfall1983

downfall1983

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 09:38 PM

Rocket Packs!!!
This may sound naive but after watching "The Rocketeer", and playing "Secret Weapons of WW2" on PC, it leaves me wondering where would a movie company and a PC game company get the notion that such a device existed? I mean, there must be some resource material these companies are basing their work on!
Any thoughts???
"Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, and brains save both!" - Erwin Rommel

#2 PFC Wilks

PFC Wilks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 02:53 AM

i saw something on the history channel about secret wepons. it sowed the rocket packs too. i thought it was kinda dumb, it coulnt manover or lift fast enough. war is a larg fracion mobilty right?
I hid my brain and forgot where I put it...

#3 Professor

Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:44 AM

Well to be honest, my information on this is a little shaky. From what I've heard, there was a slight interest in the use of rocket packs or compact, personal gliders. The ideas were soon dropped as aeronautical scientists realized how fruitless experiments on such devices would be. After all, the use of airplanes and paratroopers accomplished the mobile infantry groups that both the Allies and German desired. Personally, I believe that rocket packs are foolish. What determined how an army would obtain strategic points was mainly armor. You can't carry a tank on rockets. Troops offer quick methods for clearing light positions but fortified positions require tanks, artillery and air cover.
"It was three hundred against one million..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users