Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

D Day Remembered

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by namvet, Jun 6, 2010.

1. namvet

namvet Member

today marks the 66th observance of the greatest invasion in history. a salute to all our fore fathers who sacrificed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

photos:
    Captured: The 65th Anniversary of D-Day on the Normandy Beaches – Plog Photo Blog

Many men came here as soldiers
    Many men will pass this way
    Many men will count the hours
    As they live the longest day

Many men are tired and weary
    Many men are here to stay
    Many men won't see the sunset
    When it ends the longest day

The longest day the longest day
    This will be the longest day
    Filled with hopes and filled with fears
    Filled with blood and sweat and tears

Many men the mighty thousands
    Many men to victory
    Marching on right into battle
    In the longest day in history

fricker66 and Kai-Petri like this.
  2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

There should be a lot on Tv today, I'll let you guys know what's going on. Just so you know the 2010 weather is a bad as the 1944 one.....

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

So to get the full effect you need to take a LCI across the Channel. :D

4. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

Thankfully, the Channel was like a mill pond, when I crossed it yesterday. :)

5. Phantom of the Ruhr

Phantom of the Ruhr Member

Yeah this morning in my hometown, it was cold, damp and gray with a fine mist coming down. Real good atmosphere I suppose.

6. Spaniard

Spaniard New Member

In Memory of the Fallen Canadians on Juno Beach, On D-Day AKA "Operation Overlord" It's to be Noted In the first day
    of the invasion, Canadian casualties numbered about 1,000 killed and wounded; no accurate record was possible to indicate
    how many were killed on the beach and how many became casualties inland.

[​IMG]
    Soldiers of the 3rd Canadian infantry division hit the beaches of Normandy and begin the deadliest run of their lives.
    This image Is a single frame from the footage taken by the Canadian Film & Photo) of the first wave was captured by
    a camera on board a landing craft.

[​IMG]

"D" Day: wounded soldiers lying on beach awaiting transfer to casualty clearing station, Normandy,
    France. 6 June, 1944 Source Canadian National Archives I can assure The Source of these Pictures
    are from the Canadian Archives Film & Photo Unite.

[​IMG]

Map of 3rd Canadian Infantry Division landings on Juno Beach showing D-Day objectives ("Yew", "Elm", "Oak" )
    and advance of 1st Hussars, Fort Garry Horse and Sherbrooke Fusiliers tank

http://www.members.shaw.ca/junobeach/images/juno-3 D-Day Landings and D-Day+1.jpg

Lest We Forget.

7. theblackalchemist

theblackalchemist Member

I observed a 2 minute silence, to pray for the souls that shed blood, where i forgot the differences between khaki and grey, and just prayed for them as a human being.

Did you?

Regards,
    TBA

texson66 likes this.
  8. Clementine

Clementine Member

Sixty-eight years ago today, my father landed on Omaha Beach as part of Operation Neptune. My father was one of the lucky ones who made it off the beach and eventually made it home. So many did not. For all of the boys, from all of the Allied Nations, who fought that day, for those who made it home and most especially those who did not, may we never forget what they sacrificed. For all of the brave men and women who have served in uniform and who have sacrificed, may we never forget.

(My father was with the 608 Engineers Light Equipment Co. which is listed toward the bottom of the attached page. Most of his unit did not participate - just a lucky few. The rest of the unit landed in France in July 1944.)

View attachment 16684

Attached Files:

Ken The Kanuck and Biak like this.
  9. Clementine

Clementine Member

Sixty-eight years ago today, my father landed on Omaha Beach as part of Operation Neptune. My father was one of the lucky ones who made it off the beach and eventually made it home. So many did not. For all of the boys, from all of the Allied nations, who fought that day, for those who made it home and most especially those who did not, may we never forget what they sacrificed. For all of the brave men and women who have served in uniform and who have sacrificed, may we never forget.

(My father was with the 608 Engineers Light Equipment Co. which is listed toward the bottom of the attached page. Most of his unit did not participate - just a lucky few. The rest of the unit landed in France in July 1944.)

View attachment 16685

Kai-Petri, TD-Tommy776 and 36thID like this.
  10. 36thID

36thID Member

Clem that's good post ! Please pass the saluet on to your dad.

11. texson66

texson66 Ace

Please don't take this the wrong way: Let's also remember and be grateful for the vets in the PTO who had multiple "D-Days" in their island-hopping campaign too!

12. 36thID

36thID Member

13. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Watched a bit of the local news before leaving for work this morning. Not a mention that it was the anniversary of D-Day. :(

14. Alsa.se

Alsa.se Member

Dear friends across the Atlantic,
    dear friends of all nations having taken part in the landings and the liberation of France,
    dear veterans.
    Today we celebrate the 68th anniversary of the D-Day, Normandy. The France commemorates with deep emotion and gratitude this day that saw fighting and often, too often die so many soldiers. Know all that in France the memory of the heros is not forgotten. We know what we owe to our liberators and will be eternally grateful.
    Clementine, tell your father how much emotion is strong, 68 years later.
    To all those who know veterans, tell their how proud we are of what they did.
    The duty to remember that we preserve helps maintain peace and freedom. These wonderful gifts that the allies offered us.

Eric

15. namvet

namvet Member

yes let us not forget. the world must find a better way to solve its problems or else.

16. Clementine

Clementine Member

I will. Thank you.

17. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Typical....Your a bit late there Jagdpanther....Although I do like your style...When we doing the VE day parade?

But seriously this actuallly nearly went past me this year...A momentous day and a day we all can be proud of doing the right thing.

18. urqh

Typical....Your a bit late there Jagdpanther....Although I do like your style...When we doing the VE day parade?

But seriously this actuallly nearly went past me this year...A momentous day and a day we all can be proud of doing the right thing.

19. urqh

I don't think anyone would Texson...and also the D Day dodgers in Italy etc...We shouldn't forget the likes of Ron Goldstein on ww2 talk who must have been quite busy himself.

texson66 likes this.
  20. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

I am not complaining just noticing it is almost always a harder chore for me to find details on what happened in the Pacific and other places, but Europe has a very good documentation making it always easier to commemorate activities there so I join Texan66 on this just so we remember all of the activities that preserved our freedoms....Clementine is always all inclusive in her posts and I appreciate what her father did for all of us as well. It is almost always a short conversation before I get overwhelmed at our veterans contributions that continued on into civilian life with the loads they carried to make things better for the rest of us. God Bless them.