• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 syscom3

syscom3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:36 AM

"I have seen the site first-hand and was struck by the enormity of what lay around me -- intact since 1942," he said.

"It is as if time has stood still. We found ammunition running out in a line from the rifle that was dropped as the Japanese advanced to the rear.

Lost WWII battlefield found in Papua New Guinea - Yahoo! Canada News
  • formerjughead likes this

#2 formerjughead

formerjughead

The Cooler King

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:21 PM

This is a pretty cool find.

A trekker has found the site of a WWII battle in the jungles of Papua New Guinea, with the remains of Japanese soldiers right where they fell. Brian Freeman, an expert on the Kokoda Trail, was led to the Eora Creek battle site - the last major battle in Australia's campaign against the Japanese in PNG. Research on battle maps and diaries revealed that the Japanese had a medical facility in the area. "We were hoping to find the remnants of a make-shift Japanese hospital. I never anticipated that we would find war dead... a Japanese soldier sitting up against a tree, only centimeters from the surface still in his helmet..."

Lost WWII battlefield found -– war dead included – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Same story

#3 Cobber

Cobber

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:32 PM

Quote]It is as if time has stood still. We found ammunition running out in a line from the rifle that was dropped as the Japanese advanced to the rear.[End Quote

I love this description, "as the Japanese advanced to the rear". isn't that really just a withdrawal or retreat, I know the Imperial Japanese did not use these words they used other words to describe their withdrawals or retreats.

This find along with others in recent years shows just what kind of enviroment the Aussies fought in on the Kokoda Track, if the battle field is lost when the troops at the time were marking where they were on maps and these maps survive to this very day and they are wrong, this to me it shows the enviroment was almost impossible to be in, let alone fight in.

Edited by Cobber, 22 June 2010 - 11:38 PM.

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning,
Satan shudders and says,Oh S#!T he's awake.

#4 Istnick

Istnick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:23 AM

That is amazing good god. imagine finding that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users