Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

B-17 flying fortress PBS program

Discussion in 'Weapons & Technology in WWII' started by bigiceman, Nov 15, 2005.

1. bigiceman

bigiceman Member

My local programming has a PBS program about the B-17 tonight. You have been warned.

2. bigiceman

bigiceman Member

That was a great show that most of you that are plane enthusiasists have probably seen already. It was filmed in 2000. The show was about the living history represented by the still-flying B-17 aircraft. At the time of the filming there were 13 planes in flying condition around the world. There were some great shots of the planes in Europe during the war and a lot of color footage of the planes and crews. What was so painfull was they started the show with a long panorama of the boneyard in Arizona after the war. Thousands of B-17s lined up almost as far as you could see. They still had their nose art and their bomb decals to show the number of missions. What a shame so few of them were saved from the salvage yard smelter. :( :( [​IMG]

3. skunk works

skunk works Ace

I crawled through one at an airshow once. It gave me new respect as to how cramped it was compaired to TV sets. You are definately in a "tube", and in combat it had to be pretty hairy. The ball turret is definately hanging out in the breeze.
    Right down the road here they have a B-29. (Bradley International) I didn't think any existed, but it's inside and big as life. They also have a Mig-15. I've never seen one of those before either.
    Have you ever seen the PBS program "Whispers in the air"?

4. bigiceman

bigiceman Member

Congratulations on being able to get into a B-17. I have been up next to the Memphis Belle in Memphis and it sure did seem like there would not be a lot of room.

I was stationed at Windsor Locks Connecticutt from 1984 to 1988 and never knew they had a B-29 at the airport.

As for the program Whispers in the Air, no I have not seen it.

5. skunk works

skunk works Ace

Not actually at Bradley, but the air museum right next to the little base of A-10's they're going to close down.
    Neat stuff in there and only like 12$ for a walk through. The 17 I paid 6$ waited in line and went through that bottom front hatch and left at the waist door.
    It was at Chickopee Mass at a "Thunderbirds" air show. The 29 is roped off, so no "touchie".
    Whisper is about 17's and 24's "theoretically" bolting for the neutral countries with minor/imaginary damage.
    They interviewed some fighter pilots who said they had "verbal" orders to shoot down anyone they saw leaving formations with no visible damage after inquiring as to their condition/intentions.
    They said as that word spread, the problem all but disappeared with the ending of the war soon after, so the situation never really came up.
    Interesting though.
    I have it on VHS. Poor quality but good enough. My old man remembered that though, so I believe more than not.