Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

How do I find out which patches/badges would be on the uniform?

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Krystal80, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

My dad and I are making shadowboxes for both my grandpa and great uncle and I'd like to include any patches/badges they would have. One was in the 90th Div 359th Inf 3rd Bn hq CO (PFC)

and my grandpa was 6th Div 20th Inf 3rd bn (Buck Sergeant)

As always, thank you for all the help I have received on here it is more appreciated than you'll ever know.
    Krystal

2. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

you can "google" the divisions and come up with what the patches are and then hit the online stores or you can look at old photos and see what they are wearing.

Ribbons and badges are a tougher nut to crack you really need a picture or separation orders to get those.

In any case this forum is a fount of information and resources.

3. Duckbill

Duckbill Dishonorably Discharged

Krystal,

Get the DD214 for each man. It will tell you which medals, decorations, and awards were earned by each one.

Duckbill

4. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

I did find ones for their division, but nothing else

5. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

I have all the ones coming for my grandpa-6th div
    but only know of the purple heart for my great uncle. I have no way of finding out if my great ucle 90th Div earned anything for instance-sharp shooter etc. We have the letter stating he earned the purple heart posthumously.

I honestly know very little about military so am not sure if there would be other ribbens they could have earned or patches that signify pfc, sergeant etc.

6. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

I found a website that sells all the medals...does each metal come with a ribben? I have found all the medals and it seems each one has a ribben with the same name. Does the metal attach to the ribben?

7. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

The regimental badges are a tough one to find particularly if the unit is not currently active. Division patches or, replicas, can be had fairly easily generally. The army and corps ones that the division was in might be a bit tougher.
    Branch of service badges and the US for the collars shouldn't be too hard to come by. Medals and ribbons are still available and easily gotten unless you want the WW 2 style that are a bit different in size than the ones today. The Combat Infantryman badge is still the same and probably not too hard to find.
    Rank stripes, overseas hash marks etc., should be available too at least in replica if not the originals.

If you want to do a full shadow box you should try to include all of the above if possible.

8. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Krysral80,
    I've found that the most helpful and informative source for medals, shoulder insignia, etc is Medals of America. They have a great catalog and will send a catalog showing displays and whatever you need. They also separate each branch showing each branch's shooting awards etc. I have also used Ebay to buy the Regimental or Battalion crests (they are called DUI, or distinctive unit insignia). For these, you need to know the exact Regiment or battalion as there were a bunch. (The Division shoulder patch is different from the DUI) There were over 100 Divisions and each division had two or three Regiments and various Battalions. The medals that are produced and reproduced are almost identical as those issued during the WWII era and only involves how the colored drape that attaches to the medal is attached in back. The ribbon and medal comes as a set but the ribbon is a separate device worn on the left breast on the uniform. The ribbon has the same colors and design as the drape on the medal.
    I always try to include the veterans service picture, dog tags (if they have them) and rank insignia. Medals of America will also make a personalized brass name plate for your displays. I don't work for Medals of America, I have used Saunders and other sources--they are all fine. Medals just has a great catalog.
    If you could post the DD-214 we could tell you what awards they each have and what Reg. or Battalion they were in. Dave

9. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Krystal here is another source for the DUIs. Once you learn the regiment, it's a simple matter to look it up here for purchase. Distinctive Unit Insignia DIs Over 1,000 to choose from

Divisional patches and rank insignia can be found in many places, but regimental ones are hard to find ans many were unofficial and theater made.

I made my own shadow box for my father that includes everything mentioned in Buten's post. You can see it by clicking on my username and looking at my gallery.

Good luck.

10. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Lou, great link, especially the uniform details. If we could find one like that for the WWII uniforms of the various branches it would make a great reference sticky. I see so many inquires about what different patches, hash marks, service bars etc. mean and how they were worn. Gotta be someone out there with the expertise to put something like that together.

11. LRusso216

12. Buten42

Buten42 Member

I've bookmarked both sites--very informative, thanks

13. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

Oh my gosh. Now I am a bit overwelmed. All that makes my eyes cross. I know my grandpa was in the 6th Div, 20th Inf, 3rd bn and that is pretty much it. I do think I can get a copy of his DD-214 as he is still living. His medals are supposed to be on the way, but I want to include all his ribbens, patches etc. if anyone can help.

Do I still need more specifics than that? Would there be a DD214 for a man KIA? I did find what I believe to be the correct patches for the 6th and 90th Div, but have no idea what exactly the shoulder insignia would be or some of the other things mentioned? I think I have my grandpa's rank badge found.

Sorry to be such a pain in the butt, most if this is new to me and my dad, who would know how to help, is several hours away and not any good with computers.

14. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

If he was a part of the 6th Divsion, then he would be entitled to wear, at a minimum:

Asiatic/Pacific Campaign Medal
    WWII Victory Medal
    Philippine Liberation Medal

If in the 90th, minimum:

WWII Victory Medal
    European/African/Middle Eastern Campaign Medal

15. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

Oh Thanks Slipdigit. I never even thought about those for the 90th. That gets me a step closer. I can't find what the badge would look like for a Buck Sergeant if someone could point me in the right direction.
    As always,
    Thanks

Krystal

16. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

[​IMG]

17. LRusso216

Here's a bit about the 20th Infantry Regiment's role during WW2.

During World War II, as part of the 6th Division, the 20th Infantry was engaged in bitter jungle and mountain fighting throughout the campaigns of New Guinea and again the Philippines, their fourth assignment there.
    “Sykes’ Regulars” arrived at Maffin Bay New Guinea, on 11 June 1944. They fought through taking and holding Lone Tree Hill until final resistance was completely destroyed in December of the year. They inflicted punishing looses on the Japanese, destroying their supplies and causing many casualties.

In January they were on their way to a new zone of combat on Luzon Island. General MacArthur had said that he would return, and Sykes’ Regulars went with him to liberate the same people they had policed forty years earlier. On 9 January 1945, the Regulars hit Blue Beach in Lingayen Gulf on Luzon. Before them were 250,000 well equipped and well fed enemy troops, and the strongest collection of armor in the entire Pacific Theater. The Japanese had three years to make the position impregnable Sykes’ Regulars took the beaches, took Purple Heart Valley, the bloodiest 6,000 yards in the world.

They then consolidated, regrouped and moved out to the Island of Munoz. The 20th Infantry Regiment, along with other members of the 6th Division, was the most heavily engaged unit in the United States Army, facing the last groups of organized resistance in the Pacific War, when the cease fire was ordered on 15 August 1945. The “Sykes’ Regulars” had 219 days of continuous combat.

In November 1945 the 20th found itself on occupation duty in Korea, where it remained until its inactivation in January 1949.

20th Infantry History From 1861

Here is the Distinctive Unit Insignia for the 20th:

[​IMG]

18. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

I have his metals coming do I need to order the ribbens myself? I have an order just about put together and would like to get these now if I need to or do they come with the metals?

19. LRusso216

If you are getting the medals from NARA, the ribbons come with them. I'm not sure about ordering them from private companies.

20. Krystal80

Krystal80 Member

I'm guessing that is where they are coming from. I requested the info from a National Records place in MO and they are having some other place send me the metals. I did find the Division patch, the 20th infantry insignia and both their rank patches. Alot of great websites to order from!
    :)