Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Luftwaffe Triple Shotgun

Discussion in 'North Africa: Western Desert Campaigns 1940 to Ope' started by laner13, Aug 7, 2010.

1. laner13

laner13 Member

I have heard about a "Triple Shotgun" used by Luftwaffe Pilots in North Africa for a very short period of time. It was called the "Dreilingsgewehr" (Drei=Three, Gewehr=Gun.) It was a double-barreled 12 gauge shotgun on top, with a rifle on the bottom. The rifle shot a .30-06 round. They were very expensive to make. So far I can only find one picture of it.

[​IMG]

If you have any other pictures or info please post them.

2. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

Desirable WWII J.P. Sauer M30 Luftwaffe Survival Drilling with Case and Accessories here you go laner, another one..

found on another site.....

[​IMG] Re: JP Sauer Drillings...
    Ok, here we go with pictures.

I have learned where the dates are and the rib is marked 8x57JR.

First Drilling is dated 6-1931

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marked JP Sauer & Sohn, Suhl

[​IMG]

Barrels marked Krupp-Laufstahl

[​IMG]

Among other markings you can see the 6/31 date code.

[​IMG]

Second Drilling is dated 2-1939 and has similar markings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then of course there is this.

[​IMG]

Only unlike M30 Luftwaffe Survival Drillings this one has a high blue and rich stock and the markings are NSFK (civilian flying corps).

Any additional information and approximate values would be appreciated.
    Last edited by SteyrAUG; 03-05-2009 at 01:09 AM.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Gebirgsjaeger, Slipdigit and Pierre like this.
  3. Artem

Artem Member

Very nice gun. Never heard of a triple barrel shotgun.

I wonder why there's a scope o.o

4. sniper1946

sniper1946 Expert

They are a three-barreled combination gun; double barrel 12 gauge, over a 9.3X74R rifle barrel, hence the scope, artem..:)

5. Chef des Todes

Chef des Todes Flight Medic

That thing looks mean. If I was shot down, I'd want that weapon with me. Dang, just wow

6. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

I don't know it looks pretty useless to me.

Using buckshot in the 12 ga. barrels would be OK at close range, the rifle is a single shot and slow. And the calibre seems odd.

The Germans made some pretty nice small machine guns and machine pistols, I think that's the way I'd want to go.

But I would love to own that gun. Thanks for posting.

KTK

7. Richie B

Richie B Member

KTK

Yes but don't forget this was not intended as a combat weapon - the designed use was for shooting game therefore the 12 bore shotgun would be ideal for birds/small game and the rifled barrel for the occasional camel perhaps :D.

Regards

Richie

8. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Thanks Richie,

I thought it was intended to be used for self-defense. As a survival rifle it makes excellence sense.

Here is another survival type rifle issued to the RCAF for flying in northern Canada.

Enfield Rifle Page

KTK

9. Pierre

Pierre Member

very nice !! :salute:

10. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Why the odd sized rifle diameter? That would around .365. I've not heard of that size weapon, in this part of the world at least.

11. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

German military marked hunting guns are quite rare but a double side by side shotgun with a rifle underneath is simply called a "drilling " and are quite common , if expensive, as hunting guns. They had nothing to do with combat, but the Luffwaffe marked guns were issued to air crew for survival guns in North Africa. Most drilling's are 12 gauge but 16 and 20 gauge are not unknown. The rifled barrel could be a 6.5 or 7x57, 8X57, but the Luffwaffe guns were 9,3X 74R, a common hunting caliber for large game, the R meaning a rimmed case. . Drillings were made well before the 1900 and still are . It is unusual for them to have military insignia. They tend to be heavy and find little favor outside Germany and Austria but are found over Europe. One can find numerous examples for sale on gun auction sites, even in the US....Not with swastikas or Luffwaffe markings however which would add collector value. I would guess one would bring 15 to 20,000 USD. The US did issue short barrel pump shotguns to infantry troops, in WW1 and 2, mainly in the Pacific in WW2, but they were parkerized, and often fitted with bayonets. They were utilitarian, not at all like the finely finished German drilling's above, another clue the drilling's were not common "issue".

Great post !

GB

12. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

Just went to Google and fun one for sale in less than a minute, lacking the big stamp....'
    '
    Collector's Firearms

GB

Pierre likes this.
  13. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

14. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I owned a Drilling for quite a few years till a friend dropped it and put a terrible dent in one of the barrels, the gun was more typical than you think as a hunters close in range weapon used to put a Wilde Sau out of it's misery as there was no range involved pon the other hand though I also owned a gorgeous engraved Schutzen from Mainz, would never have wanted to be on the receiving end of that heavy piece with a rather large bore. The schutzens if you can find any more in the States are quite sought after affairs and quite expensive if the engraving and silver plating is in good to excellent condition and not worn out.

Again the Drilling was for close hunting which it did not excel at and in reality had nothing to do with any of WW 2 German branches, LW or otherwise, except as noted in a private purchase sphere it was not standard issue equipment

15. max500

max500 recruit

This is not a Luftwaffe Drilling but it is a fine example of the drilling three barrel line that J.P. Sauer & Sohn make. The drilling is available in several configurations. both 12 gauge and 20 gauge along with several rifle barrels. Those include 9.3x74 9.3 x56 30-06 and several others.

The Luftwaffe drilling was a two 12 gauge arrangement with full choke and modified choke and a 9.3x74 rifle barrel. The Nazi Swastika and eagle was stamped in both the butt end of the barrel and on the right side of the walnut stock. The gun came in an aluminum case that was stowed in the Luftwaffe fighter planes stationed in North Africa. One in good shape in the case will bring $10,000 one without the case and in decent shape will bring $3500.00. Many of the guns were modified for exprt from germany by removing the swastikas. This greatly reduces the value. Your gun is in good shape but has been modified with an aftermarket scope. This will reduce the value. The swastikas are from the civilian corps and are not the ones on a real german Luftwaffe drilling. Value of your gun as a standard drilling is in the $2500 to $3000 range.

16. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

My brain was conjuring the smell of gun oil looking that close at those pictures...weird!

17. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

While this is totally "off topic" as to this particular weapon, once upon a time I bought a Savage model 24F called the "Predator". It was a single shot for both barrels, a 30-30 over a 12 gauge with iron sights. I found it great when hunting in the Judith River brush, if a white-tail jumped up I had a 30-30, if a ring-neck pheasant flushed I had the half-choke 12. Sadly that and a number of other firearms were stolen from my father's farm/ranch about thirty years ago.

I liked that one just for its utility. Of course I have never disliked a single shot, my absolute favorite hunting weapon is a Ruger No. 1 in 300 Winchester that I gave to my oldest son. If you can't hit the target with that in a single shot, stop hunting.

18. l4d2bob

l4d2bob Member

Why does the gun have a scope?

19. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

For use with the rifle portion would be my guess.

l4d2bob likes this.
  20. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

if it was LW which it is not it would not have a scope the drilling was used on Recon and Bomber crew outfits, no room in a S/E fighter. self-survival blast and effect................yeah good luck. in the field in the modern day post 45 it was used to terminate a wounded animal of size like a rather large deer and especailly Elk.