10 replies to this topic

#1 IanS

IanS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:57 PM

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can advise me on how I go about searching for listings of blitz casualties.
My grandparents looked after a refugee in Scotland for a while until the boy's mother took him back to London as she was heartbroken without him.
From what I remember from my grandparents, they believed that the whole family was lost in the blitz, I was told this when I was a boy. My two elderly aunts have often talked about him and would like to know what really happened to him as they believe he would have been in touch had he lived.
Any suggestions? These would be gratefully received.
Ian.

#2 sniper1946

sniper1946

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

Blitz casualties... this give numbers..

#3 gtblackwell

gtblackwell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • LocationAuburn, Alabama, US

Posted 07 August 2010 - 03:50 PM

If you know the name of the family and if they were killed and the bodies identified a death certificate would have been filed . I am not sure how the UK works in such matters but any coroner's office you tell you were to start.

Of course in mass bombings many were not identified or completely missing. In either case a missing persons report may have been filled. I think you have a good chance of finding out provided you are diligent in your search.

Gaines

#4 Icare9

Icare9

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:21 PM

IanS: OK, so you now have almost 60,000 deaths- how are you going to find the ONE you are looking for?

Your aunts must be able to recall at least his Name and perhaps where he came from. Do they not have anything to provide some identity, postcards, letters, official forms, ration books or whatever?

Many evacuees remember with fondness their wartime "parents" and for many it was their first experience of countryside. I must admit to not having heard of London children being evacuated as far away as Scotland, that in itself may provide clues as to where he came from. Much of the evacuation was done en masse, with pupils from specific schools all being relocated to specific areas, so at least in school they had some familiar friends.

When did he go back, mid war or at the end, that could also help. Yes, it is possible that he died, it is equally possible that he did not, but he may have been prevented from writing, or getting in contact, and even now may be wanting to but fearful that those he stayed with are dead.

You at least have made a start, but we need a Name and as much other detail as you can provide!!

#5 IanS

IanS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:42 PM

Thanks for the responses, I will try to fill in the gaps.
I have the name but little else. Another aunt who is no longer with us was a nurse at a nursing station(if that's the right name) in London during the blitz and met the boy's mother who was worried about his safety. My aunt suggested he be evacuated and after some discussion, she agreed that he should go to my grandmother in Scotland(I'm not aware of the reasoning for this decision, but that's what happened).
He must have been about 5 or 6 years old. He went to school there and was sadly missed by everyone when his mother took him back to London, probably about 1942. I have his name but no date of birth nor birthday date. One of my other aunts tells me the family lived in Shoreditch. My aunt has a photograph. His name is Terry Latham and he would be at least in his late 70's.
I appreciate that I could research death registers, but thought that if there were lists of those who perished in the blitz, this would be the best start.
Thanks again,
Ian.

#6 dbf

dbf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationWherever the brasso & blanco is

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:16 AM

Hello Ian
These are the results for a search under Latham / Civilian war deaths in the CWGC Roll of Honour.

CWGC :: Casualty Results

Doesn't show anyone of that age or first name. However, some casualties' names continue to be added to the CWGC records, for various reasons.

If you want to do a search yourself, here is the link - be sure to try variations on spelling of surname, if you feel that might help.
Choose Civilian under the 'Force' drop down menu
:: CWGC ::

There is a birth for

Name: Terence P Latham
Mother's Maiden Surname: Wicker
Date of Registration: Oct Nov Dec 1938
Registration district: Islington
Registration county: Greater London
Volume Number: 1b
Page Number: 222

and a (possible corresponding) death

Name: Terence Patrick Latham
Birth Date: 27 Oct 1938
Death Registration Month/Year: Feb 1993
Age at death (estimated): 54
Registration district: Kettering
Inferred County: Northamptonshire
Register number: A38D
District and Subdistrict: 6691A
Entry number: 221

With so little to go on, this is really only guesswork on my part, especially as I wasn't sure in which year he was 5 or 6.

Regards
Diane

#7 IanS

IanS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:54 AM

Hello Diane,
thanks for the information, I will be seeing one aunt this week when I get to Edinburgh, she was at home with my grandmother when Terry was there. She couldn't remember his mother's name but did recall he had a baby brother (Michael) who died as a baby in London. The spelling of the surname could of course be wrong, my aunt believes it was spelt Latham.
I can't be sure but I would have thought that there would be at least 2 names of Latham together for the same date of death and possibly 3, if the father was there too. You have all been very helpful and given me some ideas to try.
Again, many thanks, I will monitor this threadnin case more suggestions come up.
Ian.

#8 sniper1946

sniper1946

Expert

• Members
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:08 AM

Hello Diane,
thanks for the information, I will be seeing one aunt this week when I get to Edinburgh, she was at home with my grandmother when Terry was there. She couldn't remember his mother's name but did recall he had a baby brother (Michael) who died as a baby in London. The spelling of the surname could of course be wrong, my aunt believes it was spelt Latham.
I can't be sure but I would have thought that there would be at least 2 names of Latham together for the same date of death and possibly 3, if the father was there too. You have all been very helpful and given me some ideas to try.
Again, many thanks, I will monitor this threadnin case more suggestions come up.
Ian.

address or locaton?..will definately give a clue, as to where your looking...
look at this site, and see what I mean..:)

Flying Bombs and Rockets : where they Fell

#9 IanS

IanS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:40 AM

Thanks Sniper, I will have to quiz my aunt a bit more to see if she has had further recollections of a more precise location. Any paper records will have gone when my grandparents died. I'll certainly have a look at the site you mentioned. Incidentally, my dad was a sniper in WW2.
Regards,
Ian.

#10 sniper1946

sniper1946

Expert

• Members
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 10:42 AM

your welcome ian, good luck..and hopefully we'll see some good news, next post..

#11 IanS

IanS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

I think it will be at least a couple of weeks but I will come back with result as soon as.
Ian.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users