13 replies to this topic

#1 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:12 PM

When I noticed this little tid-bit this morning I thought of "Slipdigit" and wondered what his take is on this? Wasn't Bear Bryant the coach the last time the "Tide" ended a championship season and then started the next one ranked #1?

But that was pre-BCS of course, which is a while back! I was surprised to see that Boise State is starting off in #3, behind Ohio. That is really a big deal to them I'm sure, seeing as how they really are a "small" college compared to the other guys.
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#2 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,758 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 21 August 2010 - 06:49 PM

Yes, the Crimson Tide started off the 1980 season as number 1, after winning the 1979 title, and then faltered to Mississippi State 6-3, after fumbling on the Miss State 2 yd line late in the game. It broke a 28 game winning streak and cost the Crimson Tide a share of the SEC title, which was the first time the Crimson Tide had failed at an SEC title run in about 10 years. I remember that game well. It was so heartbreaking.

The Crimson Tide then later lost to the University of Our Lady of the Lake at South Bend in a very close game.

We had gotten accustomed to winning. It was hard year.

But, we still beat the dog-slobber out of Auburn, so it wasn't a totally lost year.

Best Regards,  
JW :slipdigit:

SlidigitAxe.png

#3 Chef des Todes

Chef des Todes

Flight Medic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:05 PM

Don't get to comfortable :P Florida is gonna get ya Jeff!
U.S.Army-Providing Enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775

We can't all be Washingtons, but we can all be patriots. ~Charles F. Browne

If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag. ~Author Unknown

If you think Health care is expensive now Just Wait until it's Free ;)!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 Mussolini

Mussolini

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 5,234 posts

User's Awards

Posted 21 August 2010 - 07:34 PM

Aren't pre-season rankings pretty...pointless? Since they're before anyone has played a meaningful game? Seems to be a lot of 'weight' behind them.

HOI 3: Black ICE USA AAR

http://www.ww2f.com/...cracy-a-usaaar/

#5 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,758 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 21 August 2010 - 08:47 PM

Aren't pre-season rankings pretty...pointless? Since they're before anyone has played a meaningful game? Seems to be a lot of 'weight' behind them.

Yes, they are of little relevance.

Best Regards,  

SlidigitAxe.png

#6 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 10,144 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 21 August 2010 - 09:30 PM

I'm looking forward to September 11. PSU vs. Alabama. Should be a rip-snorter. Go Lions! WE ARE...PENN STATE!
  • mikebatzel likes this

image001.png

Lou

#7 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,758 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 21 August 2010 - 10:53 PM

I am too, Lou. I guess I'll have to hate you during that day.

I'm glad that the Crimson Tide and PSU are playing each other again. It is one of my favorite rivalries.

RTR!

Best Regards,  

SlidigitAxe.png

#8 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• 10,144 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:15 AM

Actually, I am too, Jeff. Two great programs that should meet more often.

I propose hand grenades at 20 paces that day.:D

image001.png

Lou

#9 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,758 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:54 AM

Actually, I am too, Jeff. Two great programs that should meet more often.

I propose hand grenades at 20 paces that day.:D

Okay, grenades it is. Practice ones I assume.:D

Best Regards,  

SlidigitAxe.png

#10 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• 10,144 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 22 August 2010 - 01:16 AM

Great. I'm just not sure my arm is good enough to reach Alabama from Pennsylvania. Maybe 30 years ago...

image001.png

Lou

#11 Mussolini

Mussolini

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 5,234 posts

User's Awards

Posted 22 August 2010 - 02:53 AM

Slightly unrelated - but are any of your surprised that Tebow doesn't have the grit to make it as an NFL QB? The 'rib' injury etc is certainly raising questions. Kinda reminds me of Reggie Bush - amazing in College, not so much in NFL.

HOI 3: Black ICE USA AAR

http://www.ww2f.com/...cracy-a-usaaar/

#12 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:08 PM

I'm excited about this years season. While PSU has some questions at quarterback still (rumors say the former walk-on from Scranton is leading), they have an uncommonly strong schedule to contend with. With away games at both Alabama and Ohio State(preseason #1 and #2 respectively) a win at either of them could propel PSU into a BCS bowl.
Please give the Combined Fleet the chance to bloom as flowers of death. This is the navy’s earnest request. RADM Tasuku Nakazawa prior to the Battle of Leyte Gulf
It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it will not be fought on U.S. soil. Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

#13 luketdrifter

luketdrifter

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:36 AM

I am always excited this time of year for college ball. My Vols have promise and are yet to disappoint me.
PS I could have told you 3 years ago Tim Tebow would be injured his first game in the NFL.
Kicking up dust since 1978

#14 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:58 PM

Kinda reminds me of Reggie Bush - amazing in College, not so much in NFL.

I'm not that much of a Reggie Bush fan, I think the stuff he took was a disgrace and his Heismann should be pulled. But that said, are you really thinking of the Reggie Bush who has averaged just under 4 yards a carry in his first three years, and nearly six a carry last year?

Or the Bush who has averaged about four fumbles a year for a total of 17, but who only lost 9 of them (he or a team-mate recovered the rest)?

Or the Bush who has about 65 yards a reception average, with just over 7 receptions a year average? Or the one who averages over 8 TDs a year with an equal number by the run and the pass in these four years (17 running, 17 receiving)?

Just curious, ‘cause those stats aren’t too bad actually in the Pros. Bush generally gets between 100 or 150 carries a year, with a four year average of just under 500 yards rushing per season. While those aren’t Ernie Nevers’ like numbers in yardage (nobody’s are), they aren’t too shabby either since the team isn’t built around him as other teams have tried to do with their "college stars". Nor did the Saints name the team after him to lure him away from pro-baseball. The Duluth Eskimos did that to land Ernie. To get him to come to Duluth they changed the name of the team to; The Ernie Nevers' Eskimos!

Ernie Nevers Hall of Fame page:

Hall of Famers » ERNIE NEVERS

Nevers was the original "multi-sport" athlete, he not only played Pro-Football (both ways), he also played Pro-Basketball and pitched in the majors against the likes of Babe Ruth in 1927. Now there is an "athlete"! He was also a Marine in WW2 (tying him into this forum).

After his football playing career ended in 1932, Nevers began a coaching career, but at the outbreak of World War II, too old for the draft, he enlisted in the Marine Corps. While serving in the Pacific, he and his battalion were reported missing for several months. When they were finally found on a deserted island, several had died, and Nevers, who suffered from beriberi, weighed only 110 pounds.

See:

MCCS - Military Life

Bush hasn’t had but one complete season BTW, he has only played in 52 regular season and playoff games in four years which averages out at 13 games per year in a 17 game season. Last year he got to play in four more games than usual when the Saints made it through the play-offs to the Super Bowl.

Bush is now where near the wash I think Matt Leinart or JaMarcus Russel are. Sure his "stats" are down compared to college, where in three years on the varsity squad he had;

Career Rushing: 433 Attempts, 3169 Yards, 7.3 Avg, with 25 TDs.
Career Kick Returns: 67 Returns, 1522 Yards, 22.7 Avg, with 1 TD
(he even threw in college)
Career Passing: 1 Completion, 3 Attempts, 52 Yards, with 1 TD
Career Receiving: 95 receptions, 1301 yards, with 13 TDs.
Career Scoring: 42 TDs, 252 Points

With the exception of a few RBs of exceptional talent, like my hero Ernie Nevers; most do fall off a bit. They don't call it the "pros" for nothing.

Happy Trails,
Clint.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users