Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

East African campaign 1940-1941

Discussion in 'North Africa: Western Desert Campaigns 1940 to Ope' started by Warspite, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Warspite

Warspite recruit

I'm new here and unsure of procedures, but my question is to ask if anyone knows of a really good dvd History of the Second World War that actually covers this campaign in detail.

2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

3. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Not really about the African front, but an interesting look at Italian equipment of the era
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA_WD4mQoyI&feature=player_embedded#![/YOUTUBE]

6. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

7. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Thank-you working great now.

KTK

8. Warspite

Warspite recruit

Grateful thanks to all for excellent material which I hadn't come across before & I appreciate trouble taken to cite them for me. Never give up I suppose is the moral added to which I'd say one of the beautiful things of life is to discover something not known before. Berkely (Bishop Berkely) would have had something to say on this too ie that it's all in the mind ie what is not doesn't exist his point being oh but it does: it's all out there, just got to find it. Can't get away without one of Churchill's definitions to wit success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm. (Good old Winnie, he got that right & we know whom he had in mind, bless him!)
    Well I still hope to find a really good dvd WW2 History that includes worthy coverage of the Battle of Keren & the rest. It's not long ago I discovered that just prior to El Alemein Haile Selasse fearing the worst declared himself amenable to making a deal with the Axis to cede that area of his Country that had caused the uproar in the Hoare-Laval treaty propositions! Also that until the outcome of El Alemein scotched all hope for any reversal in East Africa, there was considerable guerrilla activity going on.
    Cheers!
    Warspite

9. sonofacameron

sonofacameron Member

2nd Camerons at Keren 1941;
    "As the Italians fell back towards the Red Sea, they occupied strong mountain top positions dominating the road to Keren, and blew down 200 yards of cliff to block the road where it passed through the Dongolaas Gorge. On 3rd February the 2nd battalion Queens Own Cameron Highlanders, succeeded in securing a hill ( later known as Cameron Ridge ) from which the subsequent attacks were made. After over five weeks of heavy fighting the 4th and 5th Indian Divisions broke through the Italian positions, the assaults by 2nd Camerons on the 8,000 foot Mount Sanchil and Brig's Peak being among the hardest fighting of the operation. In this most successful attack, which broke through to Keren, the 2nd Camerons lost 209 casualties, 41% of their strength".

2nd Camerons were part of 4th Indian Division, and sailed down the Red sea, landing at Port Sudan in January 1941. They spearheaded the 5th Indian Divisions attack on Agordat on 31st January 1941. before the operations at Keren.