42 replies to this topic

#1 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:45 PM

Well gentlemen, the season has kicked off so it's time to get a thread going about it. Starting with the preseason AP rankings (yes I know, preseason ranking don't mean much)

1 Alabama (54) 0-0 1491
2 Ohio State (3) 0-0 1400
3 Boise State (1) 0-0 1336
4 Florida 0-0 1237
5 Texas (1) 0-0 1223
6 TCU 0-0 1160
7 Oklahoma (1) 0-0 1104
8 Nebraska 0-0 1033
9 Iowa 0-0 1007
10 Virginia Tech 0-0 973
11 Oregon 0-0 870
12 Wisconsin 0-0 822
13 Miami (FL) 0-0 785
14 USC 0-0 590
15 Pittsburgh 0-0 516
16 Georgia Tech 0-0 511
17 Arkansas 0-0 496
18 North Carolina 0-0 397
19 Penn State 0-0 382
20 Florida State 0-0 379
21 LSU 0-0 300
22 Auburn 0-0 296
23 Georgia 0-0 206
24 Oregon State 0-0 198
25 West Virginia 0-0 184
Please give the Combined Fleet the chance to bloom as flowers of death. This is the navy’s earnest request. RADM Tasuku Nakazawa prior to the Battle of Leyte Gulf
It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it will not be fought on U.S. soil. Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

#2 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 12:55 PM

I was interested in a few games last night. USC was intriguing to me only in how they would respond to the sanctions imposed over the summer. With no chance at a bowl game this or next season, i wanted to see if they would come out with a attitude of we will prove you wrong. Overall I was disappointed. 36 points to Hawaii? I realize they still won, but I was not impressed.

Also I found myself interested in the Southern Miss, South Carolina game for Spurrier. Wondering when he will begin to be criticized for his lack of achievements since taking over the team.

The game of the night must go to Pitt, Utah. What an ending to that match up. OT on opening day, can't be beat.

Edited by mikebatzel, 07 September 2010 - 08:02 PM.
spelling

Please give the Combined Fleet the chance to bloom as flowers of death. This is the navy’s earnest request. RADM Tasuku Nakazawa prior to the Battle of Leyte Gulf
It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it will not be fought on U.S. soil. Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

#3 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:07 PM

AP Top 25 following 1 week of play

1 Alabama (47) 1-0 1484
2 Ohio State (4) 1-0 1412
3 Boise State (8) 1-0 1399
4 TCU1-0 1256
5 Texas (1) 1-0 1192
6 Nebraska 1-0 1105
7 Oregon 1-0 1077
8 Florida 1-0 1065
9 Iowa 1-0 1044
10 Oklahoma 1-0 917
11 Wisconsin 1-0 881
12 Miami (FL) 1-0 877
13 Virginia Tech 0-1 782
14 Arkansas 1-0 572
15 Georgia Tech 1-0 555
16 USC 1-0 520
17 Florida State 1-0 504
18 Penn State 1-0 418
19 LSU 1-0 384
20 Utah 1-0 365
21 Auburn 1-0 362
22 Georgia 1-0 353
23 West Virginia 1-0 226
24 South Carolina 1-0 164
25 Stanford 1-0 96

Dropped from rankings:
Pittsburgh 15
North Carolina 18

Edited by mikebatzel, 07 September 2010 - 10:29 PM.
spacing

#4 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,908 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:30 PM

North Carolina all but beat LSU.

Looking forward to Penn State visiting Tuscaloosa Saturday evening.

Ole Miss embarrassed the SEC with a loss to a Div II team.

Joe Pa was poor mouthing today, trying to throw up a smoke screen. I know that he will have his team ready to play in top form.

RTR

Best Regards,  
JW :slipdigit:

SlidigitAxe.png

#5 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:46 PM

I've got my spot on the couch all set for the PSU-Alabama game. Bama with no Ingram? His backup looked pretty good. I'm curious about Penn State's freshman QB. He looked good Saturday, but let's see what happens when he faces the big boys.

image001.png

Lou

#6 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:42 PM

Lou, I was impressed by the freshman quarterback, but not with the O-line. We may be in trouble if they don't play a bit better.They couldn't create much for Royster to run through, and that was Youngstown! Alabama's D is going to be much faster and stronger.

I'm not sure how I feel about Boise State, but last nights game was fun to watch from the fans perspective. Although, I would prefer to see better defense from a team many hope can make the NC game this year.

#7 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 11:55 PM

I was surprised to see the Idaho team get the recognition that it did. Isn't this the highest ranking for a non-BCS school in the history of the system?
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#8 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,908 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:12 AM

Richardson, oh yeah, he's pretty good. His stats were about as good as Ingram's last year, plus there is another running back behind those who can carry the ball, too.

Best Regards,  

SlidigitAxe.png

#9 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:55 PM

While I think that the Penn/'Bama game is going to be "fun to watch", as a non-conference game it doesn't seem as important to myself somehow. The one I will be watching with some interest is the Mich/Notre Dame game.

The other one that might be "fun" is the Big Ten Miami/Ohio match-up, but I probably care a bit less about that one for some reason. the Michigan v Notre Dame is going to be the one I follow.
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#10 DogFather

DogFather

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 12:00 AM

I grew up in Ann Arbor MI. I was able to enjoy, going to games, in what
is called the Big House. The 70s, were great yrs for MI football. That was
the decade, called the 10 Year War, between Woody and Bo.

#11 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:22 PM

Very unhappy with Penn States performance last night. I never expected them to win, but was at least hopping for a good showing. I'm now thinking they will have at least 4 losses now. Just don't think they can compete if they keep playing like that.

There really wasn't many good games I thought. Miami-Ohio State disappointed me as well. I was really hoping for a good tight, back and forth game.

#12 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• 10,282 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:36 PM

Very unhappy with Penn States performance last night. I never expected them to win, but was at least hopping for a good showing. I'm now thinking they will have at least 4 losses now. Just don't think they can compete if they keep playing like that.

That makes two of us Mike. Very disappointing game. Way too many mistakes (fumbles, interceptions in critical places). That said, Richardson is a stud. I've not seen Ingram play, but if this guy is the backup, I'm not sure I want to.

Let's not tell Slipdigit. Maybe he didn't see the game and he won't gloat.:rolleyes:

image001.png

Lou

#13 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:49 PM

Orygun ranked # 7 ripped out Tennessee's throat which surprised me since Oryguns Quarterback due to some naughtiness got the boot and for good reason now he is at Mississip I do believe
:aceofspades: E ~

#14 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:50 PM

The Notre Dame V. Michigan State game was the best of the three it appears. Michigan won in the end, but it was at least a decent game. 28-24, doesn't reflect the two touchdown comeback the Irish pulled off. It was a "close run thing" at the end. Michigan's Robinson was just too much for the Notre Dame defense is all, kripes he racked up over 500 yards I think in passing and rushing yardage.
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#15 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:54 PM

good on Michigan Clint. how does the college teams from Montana look this year ? am I blind or is Boise not rated this year ??

#16 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:02 PM

Funny thing Clint, I turned to this game when I was dissatisfied with Miami-Ohio St, didn't like that it was not close either, and turned to watching baseball. I was less than happy to see I missed the end of a good game.

I was shocked with JMU's comeback and victory over VT as well.

#17 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:03 PM

good on Michigan Clint. how does the college teams from Montana look this year ? am I blind or is Boise not rated this year ??

The Bobcats of my Alma Mater don't look all that good, but the U of M Grizzlys are competitive. I think the Boise State Broncos made national ranking at #3 by the BCS, they whipped up on the "Hokies" in their first game, I didn't catch what they did yesterday (I think they were off), but I think they stayed at three.
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#18 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:44 PM

one of my pet peeves is sports coverage here in the Sphere. I channel onto a game or games and within 15 minutes the football is no-more and some silly sales adds that run for over an hour appear. I've talked with my TV service provider which is too limited and they shrug their shoulders. maybe a pay per view is best ? I do not watch that much TV so am not sure .........

#19 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:49 PM

Funny thing Clint, I turned to this game when I was dissatisfied with Miami-Ohio St, didn't like that it was not close either, and turned to watching baseball. I was less than happy to see I missed the end of a good game.

Here is a link to the highlights of the Irish v. Wolverine game;

Goto:

nbcsports.com Video Player

For the pro-games I get both CBS and Fox on my local broadcast channels (I dropped my cable connection), and the Pro games covered by NBC on that same nbcsports.com link live. Watched the NO-Min game that way on Thursday. Still has ads, but hey it's free. I also subscibe to the NFL Game Rewind option with nfl.com.

It cost me $40 for the entire year, and I get to watch all of the games from last year over if I want, and all of the regular season games this year until the last on in Jan. that I might miss on the broadcast channels. I have to watch them the next day, but they have no commercials at all.

Happy Trails,
Clint.

#20 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,908 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:10 PM

That makes two of us Mike. Very disappointing game. Way too many mistakes (fumbles, interceptions in critical places). That said, Richardson is a stud. I've not seen Ingram play, but if this guy is the backup, I'm not sure I want to.

Let's not tell Slipdigit. Maybe he didn't see the game and he won't gloat.:rolleyes:

Oh, trust me, I saw it!

The Notre Dame V. Michigan State game was the best of the three it appears. Michigan won in the end, but it was at least a decent game. 28-24, doesn't reflect the two touchdown comeback the Irish pulled off. It was a "close run thing" at the end. Michigan's Robinson was just too much for the Notre Dame defense is all, kripes he racked up over 500 yards I think in passing and rushing yardage.

I pull for whoever plays Notre Dame. Glad Michigan won.

I was shocked with JMU's comeback and victory over VT as well.

Doesn't bode well for Boise State. Their big game of the year was against VT, and then VT gets beat by a Div II team.

The Bobcats of my Alma Mater don't look all that good, but the U of M Grizzlys are competitive. I think the Boise State Broncos made national ranking at #3 by the BCS, they whipped up on the "Hokies" in their first game, I didn't catch what they did yesterday (I think they were off), but I think they stayed at three.

They were off.

Best Regards,  

SlidigitAxe.png

#21 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:00 PM

AP Top 25 following 2 weeks of play
1 Alabama (52) 2-0 1466
2 Ohio State (5) 2-0 1410
3 Boise State (1) 1-0 1306
4 TCU 2-0 1235
5 Oregon 2-0 1172
6 Texas (1) 2-0 1150
7 Oklahoma 2-0 1123
8 Nebraska 2-0 1083
9 Iowa 2-0 1037
10 Florida 2-0 1036
11 Wisconsin 2-0 855
12 Arkansas 2-0 755
13 South Carolina 2-0 642
14 Utah 2-0 627
15 LSU 2-0 595
16 Auburn 2-0 538
17 Miami (FL) 1-1 530
18 USC 2-0 481
19 Stanford 2-0 446
20 Michigan 2-0 437
21 West Virginia 2-0 197
22 Penn State 1-1 171
23 Houston 2-0 169
24 Arizona 2-0 138
25 Oregon State 0-1 75

Dropped from rankings:
Virginia Tech 13
Georgia Tech 15
Georgia 22

#22 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:20 PM

It's OK Jeff, you can gloat. I would if my team looked so dominant.

#23 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,908 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:21 PM

Interesting that 6 of the top 16 teams are SEC teams. The Crimson Tide plays all the other 5.

It's OK Jeff, you can gloat. I would if my team looked so dominant.

I don't do a lot of gloating. Besides, respect for Paterno and the Penn State team prevents me.

If PSU can settle that QB down, he will be formidable.

Best Regards,  

SlidigitAxe.png

#24 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• 10,282 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:46 PM

I don't know if it's the quarterback so much as the offensive line. The kid looked under pressure most of the game.

image001.png

Lou

#25 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:00 PM

Lou, I thought the O-line was adequate. I knew coming in they would have problems against the Alabama Defenses superior speed, but was satisfied with how they moved the ball. What was the biggest problem in my own mind, was the way the secondary was picked to pieces. Joe Pa has always had problems in the secondary when facing anyone with a QB who can throw the ball well.

I still think the O-line is a problem, but maybe not as big of one as I thought to begin the year. Only time will tell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users