Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

What is everyone reading?

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Mahross, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Mahross

Mahross Ace

Well what are we all reading at the moment? What has got us engrossed in a book. Anything good?
    I'm currently reading the following:
    -Carlo d'este - Decision in Normandy
    -Timothy Harrison Place - Military training in the British Army 1940 - 1944
    -Peter Beale - Death by design: the fate of British Tank crews in the Second World War
    and finally for a private research project i have just started reading up on villers bocage starting with Villers Bocage:Through the lens.
    They are all very interesting books. Though D'estes' book has a go a montys strategy but this is something common with a lot of american writers. Harrison Place's book is a brilliant insight in the the british army that trained for the campaign in NW Europe. A definate must read. :D

2. De Vlaamse Leeuw

De Vlaamse Leeuw Member

Well as a matter of fact, I'm not reading anything about WW2 at the moment.

I'm enjoying "The Russia House" from John Le Carré.

3. Stevin

Stevin Ace

I am reading mostly non-WW2 books now; Just finished Don DeLillo's Libra. Am reading some politics/economy books now. Current affairs kinda thing.

On the war front, although rather quiet now; Trying to get through NJL TOGO by Herr Petsch, in old-style German writing.

Also Verlorene Ehre Verratene Treue, by Herbert Maeger, ex-LSSAH and 38th(or 36th, the Dirlewanger div.) SS Div.

Then also a few self published vet memoirs!

4. De Vlaamse Leeuw

De Vlaamse Leeuw Member

About Pim Fortuyn and Volkert van der G? Or about the coallations between the CDA and PvdA?

5. Greg A

Greg A Member

I'm currently reading "The Gleam of Bayonets" about Robert E. Lee's 1862 Maryland Campaign. Since I will be touring those battlefields in another month I wanted to get caught up [​IMG]

Greg

6. Doc Raider

Doc Raider Member

"Normandy to the Bulge - an American Infantry GI in Europe during WWII"

"Chow"

"Feeding our armed forces" (1943)

"Bill Mauldin's Army"

I read different things at once - it takes me a long time to finish :D

7. Leo

Leo Member

8. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

Hmmmmmmm let's see. Recce Tigers, 15th TRS in WW 2. Then the OOP 474th fighter group / continual work on our Moskito-Jäger über Deutschland book.

~E~

9. William

William Member

"Another River, Another Town" by John Irwin, a late replacement into the 3rd Armored Division.

10. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

This is a good idea for a thread !

BTW, Mahross, despite his bias I have always liked Este's 'Decision In Normandy' ; engrossing and well-written.

Currently I'm reading Theo Boiten's 'Nachtjagd' and Chaz Bowyer's ' Path Finders At War ' , and lined up on the runway is ' Hamish - The Story Of A Pathfinder ' by Hamish Mahaddie.

11. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Sorry don´t have the books here with me but just recently I finished the book on German night fighters, and as well the book on " Is Paris Burning?".

Lately I´ve made some great purchases in second hand stores and I´m about to start a book on German reconnaissance flights in Lapland and northern parts of Norway and after that a book on the sea battles around the East Prussia/Danzig area late 1944-1945. ( Sorry Erich, didn´t find the Russian sub that was sunk by the Germans in Danzig ...)

;)

12. Erich

Erich Alte Hase

I'm curious Kai, what was the titles of the German nf book and the sea battles for Danzig area ?

thumbs up. Is Paris Burning is one of the old time classics ! :D

~E~

13. volkbert

volkbert Member

I just finished sevaral books about the NSB (dutch NS party) and started in Movo Tapes from A.F.Th van der Heijden. He is one of the most reputable dutch writers from the past 10-15 years. Has nothing to do with WWII, just good dutch literature.

14. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Im back on ...to lose a battle...by Mr. Horne....3rd time of reading..and still picking things up from it.

15. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Im almost finished reading Beevors: Fall of Berlin book. I have maybe 50 pages to go.

Next on the list--probably nothing untill I order something from Barnes & Nobles.

I take that back--I think ill see if they still have a book on the shelf by a German vet who was on the Eastern Front. I think its called: Blood Red Snow? or something like that. If that isnt there--then I guess ill order another Schiffer title.

16. Stevin

Stevin Ace

HAHAHAHA! OMG! No WAY, Erwin! I stay away from that. WOn't touch that with a very long pole. No, more US 'current affairs', for example I am reading Adrianna Huffington's rant Pigs At The Trough about the misbehaviour of many CEO's (Tyco, WorldCom, Enron, etc.)

The stuff that is going on in Holland is just One Big Soap-opera... :(

Carl, Hold your breath just a wee bit longer...Great book on the way.....Did you finished the Messenger book on Sepp Ditrich?

[ 16. April 2003, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Stevin Oudshoorn ]

17. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Oops--THATS right--I havent read that book on Sepp Dietrich yet. Thanks for reminding me Stevin--I have been wanting to read it for quite awhile now.

Ah--future thanks on the other book--I owe you something good my friend. [​IMG]

I almost feel like going out and buying some Toblerone Chocolate this evening. Been too loong since I had any. :(

[ 17. April 2003, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: C.Evans ]

18. DUCE

DUCE Member

Quite a few actually:

1)Gods & Generals
    2)1984
    3)The Cold War*
    4)The Fall of Berlin*
    5)Mein Kampf (again)*
    6)Hitler: A Study In Tyranny*
    7)My Rise and Fall (Mussolini)*

*-texts for current research projects

DUCE

19. Mahross

Mahross Ace

Leo - I must admit i am trying to get a copy of Neillands book, I've read his book on the bomber war and he provides a very good revisionist slant on the arguement.
    Martin - I know what you mean about d'este, he is a very good intro to the campaign, but his monty bashing just gets at me. We have just had Proffesor Terry Copp give a guest lecture at my uni. He knows d'este and when he asked why he is critical monty he just says that he didn't break. He has no real reason to think the british are bad, he just doesn't like monty and i think that clouds his judgement.
    Anyway most of my books are being read for an extended essay that i'm writing on the 11th armd div in the normandy campaign.

20. charlie don't surf

charlie don't surf Member

I'm currently reading 'Im Auge des Jägers' which is about one of the best German snipers throughout the war. The only bad thing is that many of the photos have been censored but it is still a very interesting book.

Best regards/ Daniel