Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

The Bedford Boys; One American Towns Ultimate D-Day Sacrifice

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by maxwell, May 24, 2003.

Tags:
  1. maxwell

maxwell Member

It was told in the book and film, "the Longest Day," and again in "Saving Private Ryan," Now comes "The Bedford Boys," the story of the first American soldiers who landed on Omaha Beach on June 6, 1944.
    These are not imaginary or composite characters, but soldiers with real names, real lives-real deaths. Among 34 soldiers from Bedford,Va.,who took part in the D-Day landings, 22 were killed-19 of them in the first minutes under a withering storm of fire from German defenders.
    Bedford, a farming hamlet of 3,000 citizens, nestled against Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountains, has been widely credited with having suffered the greatest per capita loss in WW2 of any American town.
    While he clearly accepts historians reseach on the subject as valid, author Alex Kershaw mentions the bedford loss claim only in passing. He does deal at length with the deeper controversy about a financially troubled national D-Day memorial being built there.
    But even that does not detract from his main theme - the story of what happened to Bedford's sons on Omaha Beach, how the people learned the terrible news, and their struggle to come to terms with it.
    Kershaw was working on a book about Life magazine photographer Robert Capa when he stumbled across Bedford and realized that its story, though not unknown, had never been told in full.
    "It was a great narrative about ordinary people who made great sacrifices and did so with great dignity." Kershaw says in remarks quoted by his publisher, De Capo Press. "Many journalists have written about the loss but for some reason no one could see it as a book, telling the story of a small town that went to war."
    Bedfords's men were members of Company A,116th Infantry Regiment, the Virginia National Guard, which along with the Maryland National Guard formed the Army's 29th, or "Blue Gray" Division. On June 6, the 29th and the 1st Infantry Division landed on Omaha, by far the bloodiest of Normandy's five invasion beaches.
    There was Southern Civil War tradition here; the Virginians were known as the "Stonewallers" for historical ties to Lt.Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson. Many Bedford boys were already seving in the Guard to earn an extra "buck a day" during the Depression.
    Kershaw's account of who the Bedford boys (and girls) were unfolds like a pre-war vintage, black-and-white movie. On maneuvers in North Carolina when Japan attacks Pearl Harbor, the Virginians find themselves "in for the duration," Kershaw writes. "The buck a day had saved them from poverty. Now it had bought a ticket to the front lines."
    He delivers a gripping account of D-Day landing barges pitching in gray seas, laden with seasick soldiers who, as Sgt. Roy Stevens recalled, were two groups-"those who had already decided they were 'going to die' and those who hoped to 'make it through.'"
    Capt. Taylor N. Fellers, a Bedford boy commanding Company A, and 28 of his men, 18 from Bedford, were killed minutes after debarking-the real version of the harrowing opening scene in "Saving Private Ryan." Also reprised is the "Longest Day" heroism of Brig. Gen. Norman Cota, the 29th's deputy commander who exhorted his troops to move forward or die, then led their attack on German-held high ground.
    First word on the long-anticipated invasion of France came from radio news bulletins, 90 minutes after the first wave hit Omaha Beach.
    No one in Bedford could know then that these were their boys, although that day's local newspaper speculated that Company A "probably was" involved. And all day at Green's drugstore, Kershaw writes, "there was just one topic of conversation - D-Day."
    In pages that follow, Kershaw provides a microcosmic view of the home front and the war's endless aftermath of joys and sorrows.
    Apart from some mixed spellings of names,The Bedford Boys" benefits from meticulous research, 32 pages of photos, and a respectful appreciation of the people, their pride and their pain, in an obscure corner of America.
    "The Bedford Boys: One American Town's Ultimate D-Day Sacrifice." by Alex Kershaw. Da Capo Press. $25. 274 pgs.
    Copied from a AP release.

[ 24. May 2003, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: maxwell ]

2. dgmitchell

dgmitchell Ace

I finally got around to Reading The Bedford Boys over the past couple of nights. I read about 40 pages the first night and then stayed up until 2am finishing it last night. It is compelling reading and it really seems to be staying with me more than any other book I have read. Kershaw did an outstanding job of bringing the war home to the modern reader. I really feel like I need to go to the Memorial in Bedford some day, if only for the closure.

3. Mortman2004

Mortman2004 Dishonorably Discharged

Ive been to bedford VA Several times... Seen the memorial... its a tragedy so many brave young men of the "Blue and grey" division Died

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

It was a good book. I read it several years ago. It is on my list of recommended reading.

5. Keystone Two-Eight

Keystone Two-Eight Member

Thats a good book. My wife got it for me last Christmas, and I think I finished it before New years day. She's good like that; finds me at least one or two good books a year at Christmas.:D

6. fsbof

fsbof Member

I had the honor and pleasure of being in Bedford for the dedication of its D-Day memorial on June 6, 2004. It was a well attended event, with numerous D-Day veterans present. The Bedford Boys author Alex Kershaw was there, along with Russell Pickett and Roy Stevens from Co A, 116th Infantry Regiment, 29th Division - each signed my copy of the book. Other veterans from the 2nd ID, 29th ID, 4th Armored Div, 82nd AB, 441st Troop Carrier Group, and USN ships were there, as well as others I did not have the pleasure to talk with. Seeing these gents, it was hard to imagine the horrors they experienced and saw 60 years before - like I said, it was an honor to be among them that day.