Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Nazi germany 1933-1939

Discussion in 'WWII Books & Publications' started by Kai-Petri, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Die Reichskanzlei 1933-45
    Hegner, H. S.
    Anfang und Ende des Dritten Reiches. Frankfurt, Frankfurter Bücher 1959.

Very demandind book as I noticed reading all the important happenings through the 1930´s, if I had not read beforehand about the persons ( Blomberg, Röhm, Thälmann, von Papen, von Ribbentrop etc ) I would not have understood a thing.

I think the author has very much lived through the times ( I personally did not recognize him and the book doesn´t tell about him much. )and I´m amazed at times the details of the situations he´s telling; either he has it on official recordings or he´s just making it up ( the discussions between persons especially ), but I cannot tell after having read about the times that there´d be any clear lies or mistakes.

The subjects discussed: Hitler and becoming Fuhrer-the elections, Night of the long knives, Dolfuss, Blomberg´s wedding, Goering´s wedding, Anschluss, The Czech annexation, the pact with Italy, the pact with Russia, the last moments before attacking Poland.

I naturally had bought the book in Finnish which translates into " The Third Reich".I recommend it if you can find it and I´ll be telling some nice pieces of info later on on the Forums!

PS. If anyone has info on the author I´d like to know more!

2. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

That's something i've always looked for to come out--but have been paitently waiting. Shame this one isn't in my native language.