Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Battle of Britain - BBC

Discussion in 'WWII Films & TV' started by LRusso216, Sep 15, 2010.

1. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I'm not sure if any of our British members have posted anything on this, but in commemoration of the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain (celebrated Sept. 15), the BBC has an interesting site on the battle, including a program beginning this weekend.
    Check it our here BBC - History - The Battle of Britain (pictures, video, facts & news)

2. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

I posted a personal BOB tribute in Living History. Attended crash site of one of the few on Battle of Britain Day yesterday. And his grave last night.

3. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

The Nazis were intent on reducing the male population of Britain to slave labor. "In no other conquered country, not even in Poland, had the Germans begun with such a drastic step." - William Shirer (p. 782)

Shirer documents the Germans' detailed plans for Britain once she had been occupied. On September 9, 1940, as the Battle of Britain raged, the Commander in Chief of the German Army, Field Marshall Brauchitsch, signed a directive providing that "the able-bodied male population between the ages of seventeen and forty-five [in Britain] will, unless the local situation calls for an exceptional ruling, be interned and dispatched to the Continent."

I urge all to read Dr. Alfred Six's own speech on the matter of all British males and their fate should the worst happen in Britain.

Tomorrow is Battle of Britian Day. I am biased being ex RAF. I am aware of the arguments the Royal Navy, the Foreign help the never to be attempted invasion what ifs.

Tomorrow though belongs to the few, women as well as menfolk, the few on the ground as well as the few in the air. Who awoke got out of their beds and manned the sector stations, the chaing home radar stations, the group stations the airfield phones, fuel browsers and the pilots themselves.

The Nazis were intent on reducing the male population of Britain to slave labor. "In no other conquered country, not even in Poland, had the Germans begun with such a drastic step." - William Shirer (p. 782)

Shirer documents the Germans' detailed plans for Britain once she had been occupied. On September 9, 1940, as the Battle of Britain raged, the Commander in Chief of the German Army, Field Marshall Brauchitsch, signed a directive providing that "the able-bodied male population between the ages of seventeen and forty-five [in Britain] will, unless the local situation calls for an exceptional ruling, be interned and dispatched to the Continent."

The RAF few were unaware as we are today that this day would be a day not unlike other air battle days of the previous months but one which would save this country from the ravages of any attempted DR Alfred Six's judgements and deportations.

The few were unaware that their actions today would be remembered by the British for impepetuity. They manned their positions as any other day not knowing the role this day would play in the history of Britain and its people.

All the arguments can go on. The what ifs, the nice German Black uniforms, the massive attraction of the German blitzkrieg formations gone and to come.

But Europe had gone as we know it. Those pretty black uniforms were coming to Britain to enslave murder and occupy, as they had the rest of Europe.

Those black corsses in the skies above Britain were here for one reason and one reason only. Old men may look back now and think of they were no different than us. Unfortunately history proves the nice black uniforms were indeed different, vetrans recall different moral reasons for fighting.

The enemy in this case had taken much of Free Europe, they were about to try and enslave Britian. They would be confronted. Mercy tempered by the fact your over my bloody country. Its not going to happen was the though of many RAF pilots I have encountered.

This would be the day, that Norwegian fishermen returning home to occupied ports with their catch. French soldiers back on farms or still imprissoned in German camps, Dutch Jews hiding in buildings through out the country, Danish people watching German police at their checkpoints in Copenhagen checking ID's of Danish folk in their own country. Belgians tending their flooded lands. Could see that the tide could be turned. This would not stand. The pretty black uniforms would not be allowed their spoils.

This fight would bring a whole nation to the services, factories and mines, total war. And would bankrupt the British for many years to come. But the tide would be turned, this would not be allowed to stand. No seperate peace, no thoughts of Britain surrendering, this was National Survival.

I will be at the crash site tomorrow of my own personal hero, he was no Douglas Bader. Just a young man who fought in the battle because he didnt want the European mainland slavery on his home islands. Thats what the Battle of Britain is about. A few who were at the tip of the sword in 1940 who could do something to show the world this war was not over....It hadn't even started....

An old post from Martin to myself on the pilot I refer to....

Urqh, it's a real pleasure to be able to respond to your request....

81641 Pilot Officer Gerald Archibald Langley

Born at Stony Stratford and educated at Wolverton Grammar School. Family moved to Northampton in 1936 and he started work with the Prudential Assurance Co.

Joined RAFVR in March 1939 and was with 41 ( Spitfire ) Squadron at Catterick in August 1940. The Squadron transferred to Hornchurch - and the thick of the Battle - on September 3rd. On September 11th, he was shot down in Spitfire X4325 by return fire from a Ju88 over Sevenoaks ; he baled out unhurt.

Then, on 'Battle of Britain Day', 15th September, he was shot down and killed while in combat with Bf109s. His Spitfire, P9324, is believed to be that which crashed and burned out at Wick Farm, Bulphan, Essex. He is buried in Sts Peter & Paul Churchyard, Abington, Northants. He was 24 years old.

The above information was collated from 'Men Of The Battle Of Britain' by K G Wynn, 'RAF Squadrons' by C G Jefford and 'The Battle Of Britain - Then & Now'. The last book has photos of P/O Langley and his grave.

So there you have it - no Bader or Galland, just a young man who was flung into the midst of the Battle of Britain in its most violent phase,did his best and gave his life defending his country. It's good to remember such people.

A long post..But necessary to remind some of the fate of this nation and others if tomorrows date had never come.

Pretty black uniforms are just that, pretty. The morals of survival against evil out shine such thoughts.

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Good to hear from you again urqh. You are correct in your view of the importance of the BoB. I did quite a bit of reading and looking yesterday on the topic, and I'm impressed that you take it so seriously. Would that everyone recognized the importance of those few who saved so many.

5. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

This is a little off topic, but Urqh's post made me think of this.

Has anyone seen that documentary "Hitler's Britain" (I think the name was).

My friend got me this from a cheap DVD bin for my birthday. It was about what would have happened if the British lost the BOB, and if "Sealion" was successful. I found it very interesting myself, but I wanted to know what the experts thought of it.

6. Richard

Richard Expert

I seem to recall this, wasn't there a episode on recreating a village and how some of the folk would fight on waging a gorilla war of sort and how the Germans would have reacted. I believe one of the episodes showed they had books containing names address of those who would be arrested.

7. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

What we may be seeing is what happened with the Battle of the Somme ; almost forgotten until the last survivors had almost passed and then a sudden resurgence of interest.

Certainly, there has been more on TV and in the newspapers about the BofB than I can remember before, and much has been presented sympathetically/intelligently.

For example, the BBC's drama/documentary based on Geoffrey Wellum's 92 Squadron memoir, 'First Light' this week was very good indeed, and the long-overdue memorial to Sir Keith Park has attracted much publicity.

8. Richard

Richard Expert

Nice to see at long last he has been acknowledged for his contribution.

9. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

I think so Richard! It was actually very well thought out and rather lengthy. I'm not sure how much of it was hogwash, but neverthelesss, it could have made the "What if" thread here.

10. Fred Wilson

Fred Wilson "The" Rogue of Rogues

Those Bloody Foreigners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mifgf9kBpMU

11. ptimms

ptimms Member

Fred Wilson likes this.