Mark4

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:33 PM

World War 2 Photos - Brazilian Forces

Brazilian Expeditionary Force - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A lot of people tend to forget that Brazil fought in WW2 on the Italian front.
Celer, Silens, Mortalis("Swift, Silent, Deadly") Force Recon Motto
Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, armored troops will play the decisive role.Heinz Guderian
http://www.ww2f.com/...line=1283185049
Regards, Sam

#2 Mark4

Mark4

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:33 PM

Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, armored troops will play the decisive role.Heinz Guderian
Regards, Sam

#3 Mark4

Mark4

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 19 September 2010 - 02:34 PM

Regards, Sam

#4 ColHessler

ColHessler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:06 AM

I just finished with the Osprey book on the Brazilian Expeditionary Force. It's good, and the illustrations are great.
:rk:"Today I was given a brigade of Tiger tanks. When I have a brigade of tanks, that is reality."

#5 Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman

Dishonorably Discharged

• Dishonorably Discharged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:34 AM

I'm not sure I can take Brazillian participation all that seriously. It was a Johnny Come Lately effort from a country then as now devoted more to street parades in skimpy costumes than with any reputation as a martial nation. Still, the more the merrier. I'm sure a Brazillian gunboat was standing by in the Graf Spee Affaire, that they were perfectly willing and able etc etc.

I prefer to see Brazillians as a great Soccer playing nation. That is something they do better than anyone....except when the spanish are playing that is, or the Dutch.

And wasn't that hard luck for the Dutch? Defeating Brazil only to go down to Spain? Heartbreaking:trouble:
Llamas are bigger than frogs.:cool:

#6 urqh

urqh

Tea drinking surrender monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,673 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:33 AM

oHHHH....Harsh Volga......

British Army 1939-1945 - World War II Tribute Video

[URL="http://youtu.be/Zbp_4XBmD4w"]

#7 ColHessler

ColHessler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:58 AM

I'm not sure I can take Brazillian participation all that seriously. It was a Johnny Come Lately effort from a country then as now devoted more to street parades in skimpy costumes than with any reputation as a martial nation. Still, the more the merrier. I'm sure a Brazillian gunboat was standing by in the Graf Spee Affaire, that they were perfectly willing and able etc etc.

I prefer to see Brazillians as a great Soccer playing nation. That is something they do better than anyone....except when the spanish are playing that is, or the Dutch.

And wasn't that hard luck for the Dutch? Defeating Brazil only to go down to Spain? Heartbreaking:trouble:

I didn't say Brazil was so great in the fighting. I just said the book was good. It gave me info on them.

As for the World Cup final, the Dutch played such negative football that I was happy Spain kicked their asses.
:rk:"Today I was given a brigade of Tiger tanks. When I have a brigade of tanks, that is reality."

#8 urqh

urqh

Tea drinking surrender monkey

• Members
  • 9,673 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:32 PM

Volga....We shall not mention Chile then...

British Army 1939-1945 - World War II Tribute Video

[URL="http://youtu.be/Zbp_4XBmD4w"]

#9 Mahross

Mahross

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:33 PM

There will be an interesting chapter in an upcoming book that I have contributed to on the Brazillian Expeditionary Force. It is by the same guy who wrote the Osprey book. The book is based on a conference at King's College London and the IWM in 2008. His paper was very interesting.

Ross

#10 A-58

A-58

Cool Dude

• Members
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, Louisiana

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:29 AM

Brazil was neutral at the time the Graf Spee was scuttled in Montevideo. It really didn't matter because Montevideo is in Uruguay.

"On the Plains of Hesitation, lies the blackened bones of countless millions who,
at the dawn of victory sat down to rest, and resting died"....

(Adlai Stevenson to Harry Truman on discussing the pros and cons of dropping the big one, or so I'm told)

#11 Carronade

Carronade

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:58 PM

Brazil also scored one of history's most remarkable "own goals". In 1945 the old cruiser Bahia (commissioned 1910) was conducting AA gunnery practice, firing 20mms at a kite towed from the stern. One of the gunners hit the ship's own depth charges, blowing off the stern and sinking the ship within a few minutes. Sadly it was several day before the survivors were located, and most of them perished in the interim.

Ships often have rails or pipe around free-swinging guns to prevent this sort of thing, but apparently Bahia did not.

#12 cojones

cojones

recruit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:54 PM

mr volga boatman has to realize brazil captured over 20,000 prisoners and lost over 900 men in combat, so they certainly roughed it buddy, history does not lie! the records are there!it was ajoint effort mate,the deserve recognition sport and music have nothing to do with it!have a look on youtube, youll learn something,that it wasnt just english speaking people that can pull a trigger!:)

#13 SKYLINEDRIVE

SKYLINEDRIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts
  • Locationwww.ceba.lu

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

Nowadays Brazil has a quite professional army. When it comes to jungle warfare they are the ones setting the norms and writing the books. Instructors from all over the world learnb their trade in Brazil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users