Photo
- - - - -

Commonwealth Games: Athletes' village...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 20,289 posts

User's Awards

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:12 AM

BBC Sport - Commonwealth Games: Athletes' village photos
Posted Image

#2 Mark4

Mark4

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:11 AM

Thats disgusting bathrooms
BBC Sport - Commonwealth Games 2010: England urge more Delhi work
Celer, Silens, Mortalis("Swift, Silent, Deadly") Force Recon Motto
Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, armored troops will play the decisive role.Heinz Guderian
http://www.ww2f.com/...line=1283185049
Regards, Sam

#3 George Patton

George Patton

Canadian Delegation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:47 AM

I saw earlier today in the paper that a Australian government official (can't remember who) said the games should not have been held in New Delhi. I didn't read the article, but I would assume that this had a factor in his announcement.

Hamilton, Ontario keeps kicking around the idea of hosting them sometime in the future. I'm not so sure that is a good thing for this area.

Best Regards,
Alan

#4 A-58

A-58

Cool Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, Louisiana

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:53 PM

Well, how did the games/accomodations turn out?

"On the Plains of Hesitation, lies the blackened bones of countless millions who,
at the dawn of victory sat down to rest, and resting died"....

(Adlai Stevenson to Harry Truman on discussing the pros and cons of dropping the big one, or so I'm told)

#5 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 9,729 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:08 AM

Here's a link to the results so far. I believe there is a day or two still to go. You can also check the results by sport.
Commonwealth Games Federation - Past Commonwealth Games

It says nothing about the accommodations.:rolleyes:

image001.png

Lou

#6 Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman

Dishonorably Discharged

• Dishonorably Discharged
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 01:36 PM

Sports people get pampered enough already. If they don't likr thr accomodation, too bad. It's all for free. Why don't some of these spoiled brats take it upon themselves to arrange their own accomodation, at their own expense? If the athlete's village was found to be wanting, maybe they should spare a thought for some of the many thousands of people in New Dehli that are living on rubbish tips, scavenging for food and fighting off desperate poverty, and whose taxes paid for these people to be there in the first instance.

We place far too much emphasis on sporting 'achievement'. Stop griping and get on with the sport, then disappear back to whatever subsidized playing field you came from, you ungrateful bastards!
Llamas are bigger than frogs.:cool:

#7 Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:27 PM

Sports people get pampered enough already. If they don't likr thr accomodation, too bad. It's all for free. Why don't some of these spoiled brats take it upon themselves to arrange their own accomodation, at their own expense? If the athlete's village was found to be wanting, maybe they should spare a thought for some of the many thousands of people in New Dehli that are living on rubbish tips, scavenging for food and fighting off desperate poverty, and whose taxes paid for these people to be there in the first instance.

We place far too much emphasis on sporting 'achievement'. Stop griping and get on with the sport, then disappear back to whatever subsidized playing field you came from, you ungrateful bastards!

I disagree with you,

Having spent some time in India and getting Hep. from the sanitary conditions there I wouldn't want one of my kids staying in a filthy enviroment.

Blaming the politics of sports on the athletes is pretty assbackwards too.

KTK

#8 Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman

Dishonorably Discharged

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:42 PM

I made no mention of political themes.

If, as an athlete, you are predisposed to complaints about sanitary conditions, don't turn up.

Or, alternatively, sanitize the accomodation to suit your own standards.

It reminds me of an old Jim Henson joke...

"Well, we certainly got our money's worth tonight!"
"Yeah! We didn't pay anything! Ha Ha Ha!"

Gripes about lack of sanitation are so much a First World luxury. Those athletes also complained about the food, also provided gratis.
If all you can do as a guest of the host nation is make complaints about conditions, you are certainly free to leave at any stage. As an ambassador for your nation, be humble and put up with the discomfort for the duration of the games. It's only for 13 days, after all.

Indians have got to spend a lifetime with it.
No political thoughts there.

#9 Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:05 PM

I made no mention of political themes.

The athlete's total focus should be on being the very best they can be.

If they have to worry about anything else it becomes a distraction.

The whole fuss over India's ability to step-up to the plate and perform at par with the developed nations of the world has been a critical part of these games.

Hence the politics.

The athletes should not have to make decisions such as staying away or paying for alternate accommodation. That is political.

Those who coach and manage our athletes are the ones who should be involved in the politics, etc. not the athletes as I believe you suggested.

KTK

#10 Volga Boatman

Volga Boatman

Dishonorably Discharged

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 11:42 PM

"The athletes total focus should be on being the very best they can be..."...(Quote from the above)

Thats on AND off the sports field.

And that includes putting up with conditions that are a little different from your own country.
And, if you cannot perform with a distraction or two, then you aren't much of a professional.

Sporting 'achievements' are so much hoo-ha over nothing anyway....better that public money be spent on improving the lives of ordinary people, (like the workers that built the stadium), or the volunteers that make the Games function for these spoilt brats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users