Photo
- - - - -

Animated map of nuclear explosions, 1945-1998 ..

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 sniper1946

sniper1946

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:22 PM

Japanese artist Isao Hashimoto's "1945-1998" is an animated map showing the 2,053 nuclear explosions that took place around the world during the 20th century, from the detonations at Alamogordo, Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945 to the tests conducted by India and Pakistan in 1998.

Animated map of nuclear explosions, 1945-1998 ::: Pink Tentacle
  • ULITHI likes this

#2 belasar

belasar

Court Jester

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:22 PM

Well done, sniper! Remarkable that this old planet has sustained over 2,000 nukes and keeps going!
Wars are rarely fought in black and white, but in infinite shades of grey

(Poppy is occasionaly correct, or so I hear)

#3 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• 10,289 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:44 PM

Holy crap!! The number 2000 doesn't strike you until you watch the explosions on the map. It's a wonder we don't all glow.

image001.png

Lou

#4 sniper1946

sniper1946

Expert

• Members
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:22 PM

they are mad? thats the only way to explain mans desire to destroy this planet......

#5 Radar4077

Radar4077

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:53 PM

...thats the only way to explain mans desire to destroy this planet......

"I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image."

--Stephen Hawking

#6 Spartanroller

Spartanroller

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:05 PM

Mesmerising
Cheers, Nigel :)

"Ubique" - For the Royal Engineer it means 'Everywhere', For the Royal Artillery 'All over the place'.;)

#7 ozjohn39

ozjohn39

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:43 AM

...and remember the surviving residents of Hiroshima and Nagasaki moved back in and made homes out of the rubble within days of the explosions.

And the people of Utah and Nevada should be glowing in the dark as observed above.
"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". - Voltaire.

#8 sniper1946

sniper1946

Expert

• Members
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:44 AM

it's a wonder the planet does'nt fragment, underground detonations must have an impact!...

#9 Radar4077

Radar4077

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:55 AM

i thought the U.S. and other countries decided not to use nuclear bombs since Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

#10 Spartanroller

Spartanroller

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:08 PM

Would have made for a more interesting cold war if they had :)

Underground Tests in the United States continued until 1992 (its last nuclear testing), the Soviet Union in 1990, the United Kingdom in 1991, and both China and France in 1996. After adopting the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty in 1996, all of these states have pledged to discontinue all nuclear testing. Non-signatories India and Pakistan last tested nuclear weapons in 1998.
The most recent nuclear test was announced by North Korea on May 25, 2009.

"Ubique" - For the Royal Engineer it means 'Everywhere', For the Royal Artillery 'All over the place'.;)

#11 sniper1946

sniper1946

Expert

• Members
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:36 PM

Effects of Nuclear Explosions
from link...
Nuclear explosions produce both immediate and delayed destructive effects. Immediate effects (blast, thermal radiation, prompt ionizing radiation) are produced and cause significant destruction within seconds or minutes of a nuclear detonation. The delayed effects (radioactive fallout and other possible environmental effects) inflict damage over an extended period ranging from hours to centuries, and can cause adverse effects in locations very distant from the site of the detonation. only time will tell..

#12 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• 10,289 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:45 PM

i thought the U.S. and other countries decided not to use nuclear bombs since Nagasaki and Hiroshima.

They aren't bombs. The various countries continued testing atomic weapons, first in the air, then later underground. As Nigel pointed out, most countries have abandoned the testing, with a few rogue states still conducting them.

image001.png

Lou

#13 ULITHI

ULITHI

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:54 PM

That is indeed an eye opening presentation. I can't wait for my co worker who used to work at the atomic museum to get back from vacation to show him.

One thing that would have been cool (though hard to do), would be a way to show the different kinds of tests in a presentation like that (Which ones were atmosperic, underground, underwater, and done in space).
Have a good one,
Darren

#14 sniper1946

sniper1946

Expert

• Members
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:34 PM

That is indeed an eye opening presentation. I can't wait for my co worker who used to work at the atomic museum to get back from vacation to show him.

One thing that would have been cool (though hard to do), would be a way to show the different kinds of tests in a presentation like that (Which ones were atmosperic, underground, underwater, and done in space).

not what you meant, darren....
Posted Image
  • LRusso216, ULITHI and Spartanroller like this

#15 Radar4077

Radar4077

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:12 PM

They aren't bombs. The various countries continued testing atomic weapons, first in the air, then later underground. As Nigel pointed out, most countries have abandoned the testing, with a few rogue states still conducting them.

oh, i see.

#16 Nicnac

Nicnac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:59 PM

Reminds me of the episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine where Quark expresses dismay upon learning that humans test nuclear weapons in their own atmosphere.

Little Green Men
Please check out My WW2 Blog

#17 Spartanroller

Spartanroller

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:38 PM

it's a wonder the planet does'nt fragment, underground detonations must have an impact!...

"Although there were early concerns about earthquakes arising as a result of underground tests, there is no evidence that this has occurred. However, fault movements and ground fractures have been reported, and explosions often precede a series of aftershocks, thought to be a result of cavity collapse and chimney formation. In a few cases, seismic energy released by fault movements has exceeded that of the explosion itself."

Underground nuclear testing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#18 Mark4

Mark4

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:47 PM

I wonder would happend if the atomic bombs were detonated at ground level....
Celer, Silens, Mortalis("Swift, Silent, Deadly") Force Recon Motto
Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, armored troops will play the decisive role.Heinz Guderian
http://www.ww2f.com/...line=1283185049
Regards, Sam

#19 Spartanroller

Spartanroller

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:54 PM

That's basically what happened at Trinity, it was only 30m off the ground - an actual exact ground level blast effect can be seen using this tool;

Federation of American Scientists :: Nuclear Weapon Effects Calculator

It's cool, you can bomb every US major city :)

#20 Mark4

Mark4

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:57 PM

Just like fallout3 i blew up washington dc
Celer, Silens, Mortalis("Swift, Silent, Deadly") Force Recon Motto
Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, armored troops will play the decisive role.Heinz Guderian
http://www.ww2f.com/...line=1283185049
Regards, Sam

#21 belasar

belasar

Court Jester

• 5,934 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 11:40 PM

That many explosions in the southwest US does seem to explain some of the politicians from that area, but what explains the ones in D.C., Swamp gas?
Wars are rarely fought in black and white, but in infinite shades of grey

(Poppy is occasionaly correct, or so I hear)

#22 Takao

Takao

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:19 AM

Greed, it comes from being paid too much to do too little.

That is why there is progress and then there is congress.

#23 sniper1946

sniper1946

Expert

• Members
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:49 AM

That many explosions in the southwest US does seem to explain some of the politicians from that area, but what explains the ones in D.C., Swamp gas?

dim? are they! .lol..:D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users