5 replies to this topic

#1 Friedrich

Friedrich

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 02 December 2003 - 10:27 PM

I finally got my copy of this book. Seems really nice. And according to the reviews it is one of the most important detailed testimonies of WWII, which shows us a very good insight of Hitler as supreme commander and the High Command. Also you can review the campaign from 1939-1942 through the eyes of one of their most important architechts.

What do you guys think?
"War is less costly than servitude, the choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd, French veteran of both world wars

"A mon fils: depuis que tes yeux sont fermes les miens n’ont cessé de pleurir." - Mère française, Verdun

#2 Martin Bull

Martin Bull

Acting Wg. Cdr

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • 12,767 posts
  • LocationLondon, England.

Posted 02 December 2003 - 10:32 PM

It's without doubt an important book to have, Friedrich.

It certainly isn't 'light reading' - I've only ever used my copy for reference mainly with regard to the decisions and planning for 'Barbarossa'. I also found the introduction by Burdick & Jacobsen to be quite useful.
"Stand by to pull me out of the seat if I get hit" - Guy Gibson

#3 AndyW

AndyW

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 09:53 AM

A neccessary reading.

Don't forget that Halder had time to "tune" his diaries after the war before publishing.

Anyway, with that in mind, it gives you a good insight espec. in my favorite area of interest, German logistics at Barbarossa.

Cheers,
"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"
(President Merkin Muffley in "Dr. Strangelove")

#4 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 20,307 posts

User's Awards

Posted 03 December 2003 - 02:18 PM

Sounds truly interesting!

Too bad it does not cover earlier phases as I´d be interested to know how close the coup of ´38 really was of happening...was it one hour or more...???
Posted Image

#5 Friedrich

Friedrich

Expert

• Members
  • 6,547 posts

Posted 03 December 2003 - 03:26 PM

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen!

And I agree with all of you. It is a MUST for anyone who is going to study early WWII from the German side in depth or the personality and rôle of the Führer as commander-in-chief. It is a real pity that it is abridged and edited, because we precisely care about the very precise details of the campaigns (and a little Gossip in Halder's personal life! ;) tongue.gif )

But it is very interesting and a very good source for eastern front buffs. It also includes one of my favourite things: bashing Rommel! :D tongue.gif

I was also surprised, Kai, that the forword, introduction and conclusion note do not include any mention of Halder being involved in the 1938 plot nor there's mention that he was sent to Dachau in 1944! graemlins/no.gif
"War is less costly than servitude, the choice is always between Verdun and Dachau." - Jean Dutourd, French veteran of both world wars

"A mon fils: depuis que tes yeux sont fermes les miens n’ont cessé de pleurir." - Mère française, Verdun

#6 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 20,307 posts

User's Awards

Posted 04 December 2003 - 12:53 PM

Would think though there´d be quite alot of Hitler bashing in that book...Or Keitel...

:rolleyes:

I guess the early December 1941 moments are the highlight of the book as operation Typhoon fails...???
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users