Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

OUCH Jeff!,,

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by brndirt1, Oct 9, 2010.

1. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

The Tide down by 35 to 21 to 19th place SC? That really has to hurt!

The U of M (Montana Grizzlies) put a whuppin on Idaho State today, I sort of quit watching when they were up 40 something to 14, I think it got closer in the end, but the Griz were playing the third string in some positions in the fourth quarter. I didn't even recognize some of the names!

I was a bit surprised the Michigan State Spartans did in the Wolverines, I mean they are ranked close but wasn't it played on the Wolverines' home turf? I don't remember.

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I knew it would come soon enough. The Crimson Tide just looked so flat today and USC (East) was on the top of their game.

Well there is always next week, with another team that has a bye week to prepare.

3. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

This doesn't look good for the Tide Jeff. The path to the title is pretty complex now isn't it? And it counts on other people winning and loosing games for 'Bama to get their shot?

Where did they fall to with that loss to LSU? I'm sorry your guys lost, but man that was a pretty good game to watch none the less.

4. Slipdigit

It was just sad to watch, Clint. The offense and defense were sporadic at best. Yeah, winning this game would have put them in good position to renew the title run, but now, well, the stars have line up with a geometric precision not seen in recent history for that to happen this year.

Then look at Ark and SC. The Crimson Tide was beaten like a borrowed mule by USCe and then Arky, a team that Bama beat (barely), mopped the floor with USCe this past weekend.

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

While there were no national championship implications, I thoroughly enjoyed the Penn State-Northwestern game yesterday. Not only did Joepa get his 400th victory, the way they did it was pretty satisfying. It looked like PSU was sleepwalking through most of the first half, then scored a surprising TD in less than a minute at the end of the half. The second half was total domination on both sides of the ball.

Not to hijack the thread, but I think I just did. :D

6. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Not a problem Lou, I didn't get that game broadcast in my area so it was only highlights and the "400" that made the news. I'm sort of amazed that Joe Pa is still in the game, not that he is winning, but that he can still "take it" at that age.

But then again, mayhaps that is what keeps him going? I remember a couple of guys who retired, and within a couple of years were dead. I have seen some more highlights today, and it was a real come from behind win.

7. ULITHI

ULITHI Ace

I can't stand to watch football of any type this year. My UNM Lobos just won their first game of the season just yesterday, and my Cowboys, ugh, I'm too depressed to make a witty remark about that pile of dung.

8. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I ain't sorry Alabumble lost. They played pretty good, but not good enough, and they got beat, fair and square. They were out played, out coached, and out partied at the tailgates (oh yeah, I did my part). And I can't believe they got snookered on the fake punt. We've been running it all year, and Auburn was the only team to pay attention and to keep us from using it against them. Got'em on the 4th and 1, trick plays, and the 2 point conversion as well. But yes, we took a good ole fashioned a$$whuppin too and lost several starters in the fight, but had three more points at the whistle, so all you Saban worshippers and apologists out there can kiss my grits and grillads.

Now if Alabama get their act together and do something right, they can bow up and knock off Auburn for us in the Iron Bowl so I can make plans to go to Atlanta and call my bookie.

The SEC is a tough club to be in, yes it is.

9. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Yeah, on the Cowboys. I'm not a fan of that group, never have been since "Hollywood" Henderson named it "America's Team" way back when. I have been a non-fan ever since. Who ever they are playing, I'm for the other guys. I think they are getting just what they deserved with Wade Phillips as coach, he is just flat no good as a coach. His win/loss record is deceptive, most of those wins were in spite of him not because of him.

That said, the game on Sunday night was (in the words of Al Michaels) a true train wreck. I have never been a fan of Kitna, his hands are too small and so he fumbles, throws errant passes, and sometimes even his hand-offs suck. Couldn't happen to a better team (in my opinion)!

I wasn't aware the Lobos were doing that bad, of course that is in a different division than the U of Montana, or Montana State so I don't follow that group too close.

10. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

I heard that Saban is on the short list for the Dallas job. Anything is possible now.

11. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Looks like Jones picked one of the "up and comers" from his own group, Garret, or Garrett?

12. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

He's just the intirum coach for now, unless something transpired this morning. I saw that on Monday night football last night while I was sitting at the sushi bar.

13. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Yeah, I should have included the word "intirum (interim)" in my post. Of course Singeltary was the "interim" coach of the 49ers when he started the post as well. Jerry Jones hasn't had all that much luck moving a college coach like Saban into the pro level. With the exception of Jimmy Jones of course, but he didn't stay long. I can only think of Jones who made the shift successfully and quickly off the top of my head, the others get close but just never make the "jump".

And owner Jones really needs a quick fix, he doesn't have time to waste.

14. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I wouldn't be surprised if owner Jones interviewed the two retired pro-coaches (if they agree to meet him), Cowher and Gruden. They are both in broadcasting right now, but their fellow broadcaster Jimmy Jones probably wouldn't even talk to Jerry. I don't think they parted on the best of terms.

And then there is the "Rooney Rule" which means that while Garrett can be interim coach he (J.Jones) has to interview minority coaches who are qualified before he can make an offer to anybody on a permanent basis.

15. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Personally, I don't care if the Cowboys go 1-15. I've never been a Cowboys fan, and seeing them suffer does my heart good. I love the way the players have seemed to quit when the going got tough. Whoever they hire as coach has to deal with the meddlesome Jerry Jones, and I don't think either Cowher or Gruden will put up with that. Jones always seems topick a coach he can influence, as a result, you get guys like Wade Phillips.

A-58 likes this.
  16. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Jerry Jones has this thing in his haed that he is the greatest GM in the history of the game. As a result, he feels anyone can win with his team. Problem is, he gets some good coaches who build him a good team. Thinking he did it all himself, he hires someone to flush it down the drain.

17. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

The Cowboys can kiss my crank, and I know how you feel Lou. Sort of like how you feel when sneaux shoveling the driveway when thinking of those over-paid douche bags up in Dallas.

I read in the Baton Rouge paper this morning where Les Miles was on the short list for Colorado University AND Dallas. Rumer-control is awe-inspiring.

18. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

Hey Jeff - tell your boys to play nice this week, no bricks through Bill's window.:D

19. Slipdigit

Har dee har har har.

20. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Wow! what a game, sorry it was one point on the wrong side for your Tide Jeff. But wow, what a comeback for the Tigers from the starting quarter where I thought this wasn't even going to be worth watching. Again, sorry about how it turned out Jeff.