Photo
- - - - -

The Secret Listeners - The Radio Security Service (RSS)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Spartanroller

Spartanroller

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:08 AM

MI6

As early as 1937 intelligence services in Britain were considering the possibility of the infiltration into the country of the use of low power transmitters to either send information to a foreign power or act as beacons for enemy aircraft to navigate by. The idea of employing radio amateurs for listening purposes can be traced back almost to World War One. Although it was the responsibility of the General Post Office to locate illicit transmitters, this was a task requiring assistance......
Cheers, Nigel :)

"Ubique" - For the Royal Engineer it means 'Everywhere', For the Royal Artillery 'All over the place'.;)

#2 Spartanroller

Spartanroller

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,620 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:08 AM

Harry, 93, kept track of spy messages in Morse
Cheers, Nigel :)

"Ubique" - For the Royal Engineer it means 'Everywhere', For the Royal Artillery 'All over the place'.;)

#3 urqh

urqh

Tea drinking surrender monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,673 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:24 PM

hanslope park is a good place to begin any research here chaps.

British Army 1939-1945 - World War II Tribute Video

[URL="http://youtu.be/Zbp_4XBmD4w"]

#4 urqh

urqh

• Members
  • 9,673 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:55 PM

Did I mention somewhere else the sigint bible..The Secret Wireless War? Anyone into the sigint family really needs this book..there was so much more than Bletchly park and Enigma.

#5 macrusk

macrusk

Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 09:45 AM

Urqh, sounds like you have done some significant reading on the subject. Have you ever run across any mention of Colindale?
Regards, Michelle

Oliver Goldsmith, "I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." :flag_canada_ww2: :flag_canada: :flag_uk:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 urqh

urqh

• Members
  • 9,673 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:48 AM

as in hendon by the old raf station or as specifically sigint related? indeed in and out forces..sigint has been a major part of my life.

#7 4th wilts

4th wilts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:26 PM

My Step-Grandfather is from a little village near New Zealand in north Wiltshire.At the outbreak of war,he and four friends set out together,to join the Duke Of Cormwalls Light Infantry.Four of his friends got in the regiment,but when my grandfather mentioned he was an amateur radio enthusiast,he was sent up the coast.That is all he has ever said,except that he ended up burying his "equipment ",and perhaps the saddest thing is he was the only one of the five friends who was still alive at wars end.I asked my grandmother to see if he might let me ask him a few questions,no was the answer. He has agreed to write his memories,but no one can read this material until he says.He was a "Listener".Cheers,Lee.
"G-Garmans here.? I don't care much for Garmans .!"Thanks 4th wilts.:) !

#8 urqh

urqh

• Members
  • 9,673 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:44 PM

After ww1 debacle of GPO and war office seizing and managing the radio amateurs out of the way...WW2 made good use of Voluntary Interceptors. VI's. The radio ham in ww2 who did not join up was put to good use...not just on the coast...Whaddon near Bletchley...Hanslope and many a RAF Y station made use of them and not just coastal but inland too. I am currently trying to pinpoint a unit in Bredon area of Worcs which I know was doing things and may well have been a VI but am getting no where fast. Plenty of Aux units, RSS sections, and Y station stuff as well as beam war locations are turning up around me wherever I go. Your story of a ham being used seems to be a regular thing for the hams of ww2 Wilts. They were certainly seen as an asset at home as much as overseas by ww2.

#9 urqh

urqh

• Members
  • 9,673 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

Wilts...He has probably got lots of interesting stuff to tell...I wish he would. Ask him if he has a copy of The Secret Wireless War. He could well add to that volume. I for one would love to read or hear his story.

#10 The_Historian

The_Historian

Pillboxologist

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • 12,836 posts
  • LocationStirling, Scotland

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:44 PM

Who is the author of The Secret Wireless War again,Tam? You've piqued my curiosity now.
Regards,

Gordon

#11 urqh

urqh

• Members
  • 9,673 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:49 PM

Geoffrey Pidgeon.....A superlative book mate....Hanslope, Whaddon, not too much Bletchley..but there... The whole RSS story. Excellent book
  • The_Historian likes this

#12 The_Historian

The_Historian

Pillboxologist

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • 12,836 posts
  • LocationStirling, Scotland

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:53 PM

Cheers. Just located a cheap copy online.:cool:
Regards,

Gordon

#13 4th wilts

4th wilts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:46 PM

Thanks urqh,he likes brandy.! But like alot of old ladies and gents,it's all about the official secrets act.i believe he still thinks he's simply cannot speak about this secret stuff,but that's the way it is I guess.Cheers,Lee.

#14 urqh

urqh

• Members
  • 9,673 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:06 PM

The OSS.....I signed that but I leak like a sive....No you are right...I'm having problems with the Bredon lot I am looking into...The auxillery hide is on private land too so cant get to it...Just so happens same private land that used to be owned by Holland Martin banking family that were involved in the thing. And their friends, diamond merchants the Van Moppes....Stories here I am hitting brick walls with because folk still wont talk because of OSS act.

#15 4th wilts

4th wilts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:34 PM

Hi urqh,I know where one of those places is.Theres a footpath round corsham lake,if you follow the footpath through Corsham wood(which runs parallel to the A4),there is an old stone bridge in the wood.This is where the old bath road was,that ran to Corsham Court.Over the hundreds of years,there has been a huge buildup of soil,leaves etc,under that bridge,so there is Hardly any headroom .Look under the old bridge.Cheers.
p.s Stagecoach's used this route for a couple of hundred years,standing on that bridge,you'd never believe it mate.

Edited by 4th wilts, 18 December 2011 - 01:47 PM.
Added postscript .

#16 urqh

urqh

• Members
  • 9,673 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

Wilts....I was based there for 5 years mate...I know the tunnels down there and CDCN. I revisited the whole place last month. Now some neat above ground buildings and lots of hq related stuff...Its now also pardigm satellite control centre for Skynet satellite system Links to Oakhanger and standby at Colerne for Yanks to use for the control of their entire DOD satellite initial orbit control and placement. Corsham is as important today as ever. The Joint computer centre at the back of the old army school now does software for our Trident warheads. The MOD comms network fixed network that is, is based down below still. In the old comcen area. I have before and after pics...But then so do many now...But most seem to think it has lost its importance....It has not...MOD police and local police were talking to me within minutes of my arrival in the area...Good job I'm not the ememy although they thought I was...

#17 4th wilts

4th wilts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

Hi guys,there's a place near holywell too,you'd not believe a couple of poachers could fit in there,lol.Ive not been for years,it may have been filled in with concrete now,but the keeper never got us .! Cheers,Lee.

#18 urqh

urqh

• Members
  • 9,673 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 06:22 PM

Listening has always been a good and bad thing...Lots of folk don't realise Britain had a listening post on Falklands before the invasion. Now I can't wait to see what the 30 year rule of releasing govt documents brings up there...then again I don't think we will see anything relating to our listening station there until all major players are dead and gone.

But heres an interesting article.

Belgrano: Britain WAS right to sink the ship before it attacked our Task Force | Mail Online

#19 StanAmes

StanAmes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

The best source of Radio Security Service information is the veterans website WWII Radio Security Service & VIs - RSS & SCU. The important thing to remember is that it was run by MI6 and their target was the German Secret Intelligence Service - the Abwehr. They intercepted Abwehr communications with their agents and outstations. RSS suplied vital information to the "Doublecross" program that ran double agents such as Garbo and Zigzag. They operated intercept stations and direction finding stations plus about 1500 voluntary interceptors who worked frim their own homes. There are RSS reunions at Bletchley Park every year.
Hope this is helpful
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users