Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Vietnam War and POW Russian Roulette

Discussion in 'Military History' started by Mehar, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Mehar

Mehar Ace

Is there any truth to depictions such as those seen in films like Deer Hunter and games like Call of Duty where US POW's in Vietnam are forced to play Russian Roulette while bets are placed?

I've always seen it portrayed in media but anytime I try to get a concrete answer as to whether or not it actually happened I usually end up finding a ton of references to Deer Hunter and not really personal accounts or anything of the sort.

2. belasar

belasar Court Jester

As I recall that scene was set in some sort of transitory camp rather than a true POW camp, bad as they were. It may have happened somewhere but I doubt it was ever widespread.

3. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

I think it is a bit of urban legend mixed with the symbolism of the need for excitement with a dash of "I don't care what happens."
    Google has some French language references that point to a Russian author in the late 40's early 50's writng about the game.

My French is not as good as it used to be.

4. Mehar

Mehar Ace

Thanks for the feedback guys. It seems like this is simply the Vietnam War's version of the crucified soldiers from World War I since information is pretty much impossible to come by which is surprising given how well documented the Vietnam War was.