• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Biak

Biak

Adjutant

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 5,590 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:04 PM

I remember someone asking for info on the weather during an assault but I don't remember which battle. Here are a couple of links.

Assault landings on Leyte Island: Aerology and Amphibious Warfare

http://www.history.n...bertislands.htm

On the following link, scroll down to appendix 7.

http://www.ibiblio.o...13-44-L.html#A7

Edited by Biak, 17 January 2011 - 04:04 AM.

• ULITHI likes this

Happiness is nice but it can't buy money.

Kilroy_Was_Here_by_catluvr2.gif

#2 ULITHI

ULITHI

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:38 AM

That's great info Roger. As I get more obsessed with painting more accurate scenes, links like this are a big help.
Have a good one,
Darren

#3 Biak

Biak

Adjutant

• 5,590 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:04 AM

Glad it may help. I was of course looking for something totally different! If I find more or anyone else does, maybe we can cover all the campaigns/areas.

#4 OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer

I Point at Opana

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:40 PM

I've done various meteorological reports for Pacific invasions. Don't know if Patrick has them up yet. Last time I talked to him he was threatening to come take my scanner away.

"One of our King Tigers could take five of your Shermans, but you always had six of them."

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
Pearl Harbor Attack Message Board
Veteran: USN, 1969-1989

#5 Biak

Biak

Adjutant

• 5,590 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:59 PM

I've done various meteorological reports for Pacific invasions. Don't know if Patrick has them up yet. Last time I talked to him he was threatening to come take my scanner away.

Threaten him back! Hyperwar is the best site I've found so far (next to this one of course). :) I spend half my time there with the other half between all the other sites in my bookmarks. If he takes your scanner away I'll go away! Hmmm, not much of a threat there was it?

#6 Biak

Biak

Adjutant

• 5,590 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:24 PM

This probably should be in another thread but just in case Darren might just maybe possibly eventually want to paint the Doolittle Raid: Action Report: USS Hornet (CV-6)
HyperWar: USS Hornet Action Report, Halsey-Doolittle Raid

Plane handling on the flight deck was expeditious and well done. One plane handler lost an arm by backing to a B-25 propeller. A high wind of over forty knots and heavy swells caused Hornet to pitch violently, occasionally taking green seas over the bow and wetting the flight deck. The over-all time for launching sixteen bombers was 59 minutes. Average interval, 3.9 minutes.
From April 13 to April 16, little of note occurred; weather continued to be heavy and squally, with generally poor visibility, which of course contributed to the success of the mission. Enterprise maintained air patrol. Steaming on westerly courses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users