Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Looking for Allied POW roster for Stalag 221 (Rennes Military Hospital)

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by SirJahn, Jan 21, 2011.

1. SirJahn

SirJahn Member

I am assuming that the Germans would have a roster of the POWs at each Stalag they operated. You always hear of the Roll Call conducted daily or more frequently to make sure everyone was still there. Additionally I believe the Red Cross needed this to notify the POWs country that the individual was there.

So does anyone know if there would be a location that keeps this information on Stalag 221 in Rennes France (i.e. Bundesarchiv, Red Cross) and how could I contact them?

I have looked at several POW sites and they seem to have information on the Luft Stalags and other Stalags in Germany but little on other locations.

lebmjcuren likes this.
  2. SirJahn

SirJahn Member

Just an update to this. I have found about 6 pages of the German Admissions and Dispositions for the Allied POWs at the Rennes Military Hospital (Stalag 221, Frontstalag 221 W) and the complete Allied A&D kept by Major Oxley and Captain Kolman. I am still looking for the rest of the German A&D as it would include the earlier POWs from the St. Nazaire raid and other Allied aircrews shot down near Rennes, perhaps even the Senegalese Colonial troops as well.

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

4. SirJahn

SirJahn Member

I will give that a look. Thanks Skipper

5. Earthican

Earthican Member

I imagine you have got all the information available from NARA online. I checked just to see if they had the Rennes Hospital listed. Answer, seems so: camp code 477 Rennes Military Hospital Rennes France 48-01

I found Franklyn Johnson listed here:

Please Wait...

6. SirJahn

SirJahn Member

Actually I had to go to NARA and look under the 3rd Army Provost Marshall to find the Allied A&D and I got a War Crime Investigation file from John Howe which had the German A&D pages. I have a name of the French POW clerk that the Germans had doing their A&D but thusfar been unable to track him down in Rennes. He supposedly kept a copy of the German A&D.

7. SirJahn

SirJahn Member

I now have the US 35th Evacuation Hospital entry lists from their location at Rennes. In all the lists so far I do not see any of the British or Canadian wounded PWs from the PW Hospital.

Was there a policy that the British took their wounded PWs to the nearest British medical unit? Seems odd to me that the collective wounded weren't handled by the 35th Evac that was specifically brought in to treat the PWs wouldn't handle the other Allied wounded.

8. SirJahn

SirJahn Member

After a thorough scrub of the 35th Evac lists I found ONE of 196 British or Canadian wounded POWs that got to the 35th Evac. So still a mystery where the rest went.