Photo
- - - - -

1939 Engraved Silver or Silver tray I got today What does it say? Can not read German

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:27 PM

I got this today from a lady that goes to alot of yard sales and shows me any Military items she finds. As this had a German eagle and she could read "Adolph Hitler" she thought it might be military. What does it say. --- Thankyou -- I'm new to this forum (I'm on a US only one). I collect USMC before 1946 and usually Pass on WWII German as I usually get burned. As this came out of a yard sale, maybe I'm OK. :) HA HA.

#2 suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:34 PM

Sorry should say Silver or Pewter Tray, couldn't figure out how to edit.and how to upload photo. OLD AGE I guess RichardAttached File  P2070003.jpg   77.1KB   19 downloads

#3 suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:40 PM

Can not figure out how to add another pic. Sorry Richard Also title should say Silver or Pewter tray

#4 suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:48 PM

I'll try picture againAttached File  P2070001 (Small).JPG   36.65KB   13 downloads

#5 PzJgr

PzJgr

Drill Instructor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,085 posts
  • LocationJefferson, OH

User's Awards

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:48 PM

The A and the H look roughly engraved. Cannot really make out the inscription. Can you type out the inscription?
Stug2.jpg

#6 suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:26 PM

Attached File  P2070002 (Small).JPG   40.6KB   16 downloadsMaybe you can see this good enough to translate. Thanks Richard

#7 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:37 PM

I can make out Blohm and Voss which was and still is a German shipyard. It's the yard that built the Bismark, as well as numerous others well known ships. The date also matches the launching of the Bismark. My guess is it is some kind of commemorative item. Probably not an original item.
Please give the Combined Fleet the chance to bloom as flowers of death. This is the navy’s earnest request. RADM Tasuku Nakazawa prior to the Battle of Leyte Gulf
It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it will not be fought on U.S. soil. Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

#8 PzJgr

PzJgr

Drill Instructor

• Members
  • 8,085 posts
  • LocationJefferson, OH

User's Awards

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:10 PM

The rest is referring to the launching of the Bismarck by Adolf Hitler on 14 Feb 1939. She was commissioned on 24 August, 1940.
Stug2.jpg

#9 suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:02 PM

Thank you: Now that you mention it, I do see Bismarck. The script is in long hand and not very well done but I will try to type it here. Do you think it was done by someone who worked there and was not a professional jeweler or engraver? Looks to me that if someone was trying to fake a WWII era tray they would have picked a better Hitler/WWII event. What do you think?

Dargestellt duroh Blohm n Voss Werft Hamburg, Deutschland fur Cristening des Marine-Schiffs, das Bismarck Abendessen-Zerenorie einschlieBlick die Anniesenheit von Adolf Hilter, am 14. Februar 1939. Thanks again Richard

#10 PzJgr

PzJgr

Drill Instructor

• Members
  • 8,085 posts
  • LocationJefferson, OH

User's Awards

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:20 PM

Too much roughness in my opinion.
Stug2.jpg

#11 RRCOLLECTOR

RRCOLLECTOR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:02 PM

Looks to me that if someone was trying to fake a WWII era tray they would have picked a better Hitler/WWII event. What do you think?

That is the beauty of something like this...if it was engraved to Sepp Dietrich it would send off alarm bells.

#12 suwanneetrader

suwanneetrader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:16 AM

Well There I go again, I was hopeing I could trade it for a WWI green USMC tunic, or anything ID'ed to 21st Marines 3rd. Div. That was my Dad's outfit at Guam and Iwo Jima. RichardAttached File  PC240001a (Small).JPG   25.34KB   5 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users