Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Cenotaphs, Cemeteries, and Memorials of the Valiant of World War II

Discussion in 'WWII Obituaries' started by Biak, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

2. macrusk

macrusk Proud Daughter of a Canadian WWII Veteran

I would think that it would be appropriate in the Roll of Honour. I'll ask.

3. Biak

Thanks Michelle, I just pulled it up and could see the waves rolling in as the camera 'panned' toward the beach. One noticeable item was missing; no Flag on the flagpole? Still, a unique opportunity to view something I may never be able to visit.

4. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

I watched the flag being lowered and presumably being retired for the day.

Dave

5. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

As with all the cemeteries in Normandy, it is a very moving experience to stand amongst all those white stone crosses.

It really brings home how futile war is.

6. Biak

That would explain it. Thanks. I was watching at 10:30am USA Central time so it would be around 4 or 5 PM there I think.

You're right John, Just walking through the smaller cemeteries and finding a few headstones of Veterans is moving enough, I can't comprehend standing amongst so many.

7. macrusk

When we were on the other format I posted a lot of photos from when we were there. I am going to ask whether it would be appropriate to gather from elsewhere threads of photos taken at WWII cemeteries or the memorials in other places, and to add others that individuals have taken and would like to post.

When we were on the D-Day to 65th Liberation of the Netherlands tour last spring, we stopped at many cemeteries and memorials, including WWI. They were always moving and overwhelming to think of how many gave their lives so young for the benefit of those who had lost their freedom and to stop those who were so intent in the quest to harm others.

8. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Unless Jeff has some other idea, I think a thread devoted to photos of WW2 cemeteries would be a great addition to the forum. Most of us will not have the opportunity to visit them, so this would be a good alternative. I think it should go in the Roll of Honor forum. If you wish to go ahead and start it, feel free. We can always move it, if needed.

9. Biak

I think that is a great idea!

10. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

That sounds good to me.

I have plenty of photos I could post in there.

11. macrusk

A new thread devoted to photos taken at various Cenotaphs, Cemeteries, and Memorials of the Valiant of World War II.

View attachment 12664
    Queens Owns Rifles House - Bernieres-sur-Mer, the location on Juno Beach seen so often in video of the D-Day landings

Taken by my husband and I during our Canadian Battlefields Tour: D-Day to 65th Anniversary of the Liberation of the Netherlands Apr-May 2010

Attached Files:

12. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Michelle, I've made this thread a Sticky so it stays near the top of the forum and will be easier to find. Thanks for doing it, and good luck.

13. macrusk

View attachment 12668

Bernieres-sur-Mer - one of the landing beaches at Juno

Taken by my husband and I during our Canadian Battlefields Tour: D-Day to 65th Anniversary of the Liberation of the Netherlands Apr-May 2010

Attached Files:

14. macrusk

View attachment 12670
    Bernieres-sur-Mer - various national and regimental memorials to the Canadians who landed here on June 6, 1944

15. macrusk

View attachment 12675
    Bernieres-sur-Mer, Juno Beach

16. macrusk

View attachment 12680
    Bernieres-sur-Mer, Juno Beach

17. macrusk

View attachment 12685

The Juno Beach Centre, The Beaches, and area around the Centre

The 1st photo shows the view from the German gun emplacement still there out to the landing beach.

Attached Files:

18. macrusk

View attachment 12694
    Juno Beach Centre, memorials, and immediate area of landing beaches

Attached Files:

19. macrusk

View attachment 12698

Juno Beach Centre

Attached Files:

20. macrusk

View attachment 12703

Beny-sur-Mer, Canadian War Cemetery in Calvados, France

Beny-sur-Mer Canadian War Cemetery is about 1 kilometre east of the village of Reviers, on the Creully-Tailleville-Ouistreham road (D.35). Reviers is a village and commune in the Department of the Calvados. It is located 15 kilometres north-west of Caen and 18 kilometres east of Bayeux and 3.5 kilometres south of Courseulles, a village on the sea coast. The village of Beny-sur-Mer is some 2 kilometres south-east of the cemetery. The bus service between Caen and Arromanches (via Reviers and Ver-sur-Mer) passes the cemetery.

It was on the coast just to the north that the 3rd Canadian Division landed on 6th June 1944; on that day, 335 officers and men of that division were killed in action or died of wounds. In this cemetery are the graves of Canadians who gave their lives in the landings in Normandy and in the earlier stages of the subsequent campaign. Canadians who died during the final stages of the fighting in Normandy are buried in Bretteville-sur-Laize Canadian War Cemetery. There are a total of 2048 burials in Beny-sur-Mer Canadian War Cemetery. There is also one special memorial erected to a soldier of the Canadian Infantry Corps who is known to have been buried in this cemetery, but the exact site of whose grave could not be located.
    http://www.vac.gc.ca/eng/sub.cfm?source=collections/virtualmem/Detail&casualty=2059102

Attached Files: