Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

MB GPW Leads

Discussion in 'Military Vehicle Restoration' started by Up From Marseille, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Up From Marseille

Up From Marseille Member

Looking for an MB or GPW to restore.

Other than CL and Fleabay, I've found the G503 Forum and not much else to let my fingers do the shopping at.

Anybody have other sites, forums, etc that list MBs and GPWs for sale?

Thanks!

2. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

3. chibobber

chibobber Member

Try eWillys,list FS everyday
    Bob

4. GPW1944

GPW1944 recruit

If you cannot find one on the G503 or Brians, Ebay or as you note Flebay :p may be your best bet. Also are you a member of the Military Vehicle Preservation Association (MVPA)? If not join up and you will get a magazine subscription of which has listings for sources of all kinds of military vehicles including WWII jeeps. The part I don't like about Ebay is that its such a pain in the arse as you are bidding against someone who might want it as much as you do and the other unknowns. I purchased a Feb 44 GPW three years back that was listed on Ebay from an honest person and have since done a complete restoration. Its nice but was very hard on the pocket book. One last question, have you restored a jeep or other vehicle before? If yes enough said, If not get some books first. I wish I had, and I had restored before, I would have saved a little bit of money, but then again I love my jeep. Hope you find a nice one.

5. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

If you don't mind dealing with a Canadian company, Willys Acres (o||||o Welcome to Willys Acres o||||o) is a good source. I know the owner, and he has a complete inventory of reproduction parts in addition to a large inventory of original components.

I have a 1944 MB that I've been working on. I started with original components, only to find most of them to be complete wore out or rusted through. As a result, I've had to buy mostly reproduction parts.

From experience, these will likely have to be replaced with reproduction or refurbished parts:
    -Tub (floor panels are usually rusted through, especially if the Jeep has been stored outside. If the jeep has been used by a farmer or the like, chances are that the tub was cut up, drilled through or welded. It'll take a lot of work to fix it up.)
    -Transmission (The T-84 transmissions usually need to be rebuilt. Rebuilt or refurbished ones go for close to 1000 bucks now)
    -Frame (it depends on the jeep. If the jeep has been used on someone's farm for the past 60 years, chances are the frame has been welded at some point. Unless you want to spend a lot of time and money fixing it up, a reduction frame is probably your best bet)

I'm not trying to discourage you, but don't expect your restorated jeep to be 100% original. You will likely end up producing a great looking jeep with a lot of reproduction parts, or period parts that don't match. Even though some proudly flaunt their "100% original jeeps", I have yet to see one that isn't in a museum. As much as I prefer original parts, I think there's nothing wrong with reproduction ones. If you have this mindset, you can save a lot of money. Some people will pay many times more for an "original" part, even though the reproduction might be better! As GPW1944 pointed out, jeep restoration is a costly and time consuming process. I've done some restoration work on my other MVs (Pinzgauer, HMMWV, Stalwart and a few others), and having experience is definitely useful if you're doing a ground-up restoration -- restoring a MV is not quite the same as fixing up a civilian car. Before you start, make sure you grab a copy of the US Army service manual. I think they go on eBay for around 30 bucks in printed format.

Good luck with your project!