#1 George Patton

George Patton

Canadian Delegation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 08 March 2011 - 02:05 AM

I am considering purchasing an SVT-40. It's stamped "1942", with the Tula Arsenal markings. The asking price is around $300 CAD, and it appears to be in decent condition (its probably around average for a gun that is 65+ years old). I have to analyze the action/barrel again, but it appeared to be in good shape.

A question for those that own one: how does it shoot? I have read a few conflicting reports - some complaining about its reliability and the rough feel to it, while others say its pretty good. I wouldn't be firing it that often, so it would mainly just be for the historical value.

Also, I am no expert on WWII Soviet guns, so how does the price sound? I did a search on the internet, and it appears the average price for a good one is around $600. Again, I'll have to have another look at it, but I think it sounds like a good deal.

Thanks for the assistance everyone,
Alan

Best Regards,
Alan

#2 Black6

Black6

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

SVT-40's generally dont sell for less than $800 USD, so I would recommend you take the one that is offered to you. I just saw a nice SVT-40 sell for $1000 and a not that nice SVT-38 sell for $2200

#3 George Patton

George Patton

Canadian Delegation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 12:41 PM

SVT-40's generally dont sell for less than $800 USD, so I would recommend you take the one that is offered to you. I just saw a nice SVT-40 sell for $1000 and a not that nice SVT-38 sell for $2200

Thanks for the advice. From what I know, the SVTs are cheaper up here in Canada (US has stricter import regulations for Eastern European/Russian arms), but it still seems like a good deal. I might have another look at it later on today, just to make sure everything looks good on it.

Best Regards,
Alan

#4 texson66

texson66

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:03 PM

#5 Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,321 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:30 PM

Alan,

those rifles are normally a great buy and good fun. Control it, if possible shoot it, buy it!
Regards, Ulrich

Horrido!

"We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem!" LtGen. Chesty Puller.

#6 George Patton

George Patton

Canadian Delegation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:59 PM

Well, I called them up today and found that someone just bought it early this morning. They said they'll be picking up a few more "shortly", so I'll probably grab one then.

Thanks anyway everyone.

Best Regards,
Alan

#7 C.Evans

C.Evans

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,883 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:00 AM

Im late as always but was going to say go for it at that price. I havent seen any at gun shows here for years now.
Lost are only those, who abandon themselves) Hans-Ulrich Rudel.
:snoopy: :ww1ace:
Posted Image

#8 C.Evans

C.Evans

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,883 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:00 AM

Im late as always but was going to say go for it at that price. I havent seen any at gun shows here for years now.
Lost are only those, who abandon themselves) Hans-Ulrich Rudel.
:snoopy: :ww1ace:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users