Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

SVT-40? Worthwhile to Purchase?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by George Patton, Mar 7, 2011.

1. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

I am considering purchasing an SVT-40. It's stamped "1942", with the Tula Arsenal markings. The asking price is around $300 CAD, and it appears to be in decent condition (its probably around average for a gun that is 65+ years old). I have to analyze the action/barrel again, but it appeared to be in good shape.

A question for those that own one: how does it shoot? I have read a few conflicting reports - some complaining about its reliability and the rough feel to it, while others say its pretty good. I wouldn't be firing it that often, so it would mainly just be for the historical value.

Also, I am no expert on WWII Soviet guns, so how does the price sound? I did a search on the internet, and it appears the average price for a good one is around $600. Again, I'll have to have another look at it, but I think it sounds like a good deal.

Thanks for the assistance everyone,
    Alan

2. Black6

Black6 Member

SVT-40's generally dont sell for less than $800 USD, so I would recommend you take the one that is offered to you. I just saw a nice SVT-40 sell for $1000 and a not that nice SVT-38 sell for $2200

3. George Patton

Thanks for the advice. From what I know, the SVTs are cheaper up here in Canada (US has stricter import regulations for Eastern European/Russian arms), but it still seems like a good deal. I might have another look at it later on today, just to make sure everything looks good on it.

4. texson66

texson66 Ace

[video=youtube;mGidf_tl6uk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGidf_tl6uk[/video]

5. Gebirgsjaeger

Gebirgsjaeger Ace

Alan,

those rifles are normally a great buy and good fun. Control it, if possible shoot it, buy it!

6. George Patton

Well, I called them up today and found that someone just bought it early this morning. They said they'll be picking up a few more "shortly", so I'll probably grab one then.

Thanks anyway everyone.

7. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Im late as always but was going to say go for it at that price. I havent seen any at gun shows here for years now.

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Im late as always but was going to say go for it at that price. I havent seen any at gun shows here for years now.