#1 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 20,307 posts

User's Awards

Posted 14 October 2008 - 02:12 PM

BBC NEWS | Europe | Ice hockey prodigy dies in match

Really really sad, I was truly looking forward to this kid playing in the NHL....
  • Kendusimmus likes this
Posted Image

#2 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:56 PM

"Slingin’" Sammy Baugh has passed away at age 94, he sure was an astounding athlete:

"Baugh was the best all-around player in an era when versatility was essential. In 1943, he led the league in passing, punting and interceptions. In one game, he threw four touchdowns and also intercepted four passes. He threw six touchdowns passes in a game twice. His 51.4-yard punting average in 1940 remains the NFL record.

"There's nobody any better than Sam Baugh was in pro football," Don Maynard, a fellow West Texas Hall of Famer who played for Baugh, said in a 2002 interview. "When I see somebody picking the greatest player around, to me, if they didn't go both ways, they don't really deserve to be nominated. I always ask, 'Well, how'd he do on defense? How was his punting?"'

When Baugh entered the NFL, the forward pass was so rare that it was unveiled mostly in desperate situations.

As a rookie in 1937, he completed a record 81 passes (about seven a game) and led the league with 1,127 yards passing. By contrast, only six quarterbacks averaged three completions a game that year. He went on to lead the league in passing six times.
Baugh still holds Redskins records for career touchdown passes (187) and completion percentage in a season (70.3). And his 31 interceptions on defense are third on the team's career list.

See:

Baugh, member of inaugural Hall of Fame class, dies at 94

One of his sons lives here in Billings MT., I wish he and all the Baugh family my deepest condolences on their loss of this fine and honest man.

Happy Trails,
Clint.

#3 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:52 PM

Baugh was as good as they come. One of the greatest players of all-time, he will surly be missed. RIP
Please give the Combined Fleet the chance to bloom as flowers of death. This is the navy’s earnest request. RADM Tasuku Nakazawa prior to the Battle of Leyte Gulf
It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it will not be fought on U.S. soil. Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

#4 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:07 PM

Baugh was as good as they come. One of the greatest players of all-time, he will surly be missed. RIP

His son (a district court judge) here in Billings was interveiwed and he remembered his Dad as a "cattleman who used to play football". He only saw his Dad play football once, and that was an exhibition game for a charity event. In that game Sammy threw a touchdown that was dis-allowed.

He threw the ball, it hit the crossbar of the goal posts, bounced back in the field of play, Baugh scooped it up and threw it again for a TD. The refs had a conference and said it was an "illegal forward pass", and discounted it . No matter, he ran it in on the next play.
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#5 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• 20,307 posts

User's Awards

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:51 PM

Tests show Cherepanov took performance enhancers - Yahoo! News

Russia's federal Investigative Committee said in a statement experts concluded from analysis of blood and urine samples that for several months Cherepanov "engaged in doping." A committee spokeswoman refused to specify the drugs Cherepanov allegedly took.

The committee said the club's medical team may carry legal liability, contending a "row of gross violations was committed by the medical brigade" helping Cherepanov.
Posted Image

#6 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:57 PM

Are the drugs what caused his unexpected death?
Please give the Combined Fleet the chance to bloom as flowers of death. This is the navy’s earnest request. RADM Tasuku Nakazawa prior to the Battle of Leyte Gulf
It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it will not be fought on U.S. soil. Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

#7 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• 20,307 posts

User's Awards

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:44 PM

Partly drugs, and it seems he was also suffering from myocarditis ( inflammation of heart muscle tissue ), probably viral in etiology. The info says he had had it for a long time, which probably means he was recovering from it. Would like to know what kinda drugs,though.
Posted Image

#8 WalkerBulldog

WalkerBulldog

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:35 PM

I know I'm late to this thread but I'll express my sympathies as well, it's always very sad when men (and women) with potential for full and rich lives are cut down so young. :(

One of the many reasons why wars are so terrible and why boards like this and other sites that convey its horrors are so important to our future.

I attended the U of Md for a short time so of course any time I hear of something like this one name comes to my mind: Lenny Bias.

#9 Sloniksp

Sloniksp

Ставка

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • 5,494 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:42 PM

I remember watching him play on TV and thinking this guys is amazing, truly a sad day for the sport...

How unfortunate.

My prayers go out to the family.
The war against Russia will be such that it cannot be conducted in a knightly fashion. This struggle is one of ideologies and racial differences and will have to be conducted with unprecedented, unmerciful and unrelenting harshness. -Adolf Hitler

#10 SMLE shooter

SMLE shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:37 PM

Steve McNair was murdered today.R.I.P.Ex-NFL QB McNair found shot to death in condo - FOX Sports on MSN
"This is the day which the lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." Psalms 118:24

Regards, Christian/SMLE shooter.:D

#11 JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:26 AM

Jeez so what's the famous people death count up to now....:(

RIP Steve McNair

#12 MastahCheef117

MastahCheef117

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 04:19 AM

First MJ, then OxiClean, not this guy...

:'( Never heard of him before but R.I.P. anyway lol

#13 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:21 PM

I enjoyed watching "Air McNair" play in the NFL, his strength of arm as well as field smarts made him a real competitor. The female found there was a "friend" from a nearby restaurant where she was a waitress or hostess.

The circumstances are not yet revealed to the public, but it seems they weren't an "item", or at least not a well known one. His having a condo where his wife was not a resident makes the whole situation rather "iffy" to my mind. I won't be shocke out of my socks to have a "murder-suicide" come to light later.

At any rate, RIP Mr. McNair.

• SMLE shooter likes this
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#14 luketdrifter

luketdrifter

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:43 PM

It's totally murder suicide-chick got a DUI driving HIM home from the bar on Thursday night. Spent most of Friday locked up no doubt, as Tennessee DUI laws are fairly stiff, and got her revenge on Saturday? That's how I'm calling it.
Kicking up dust since 1978

#15 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:07 PM

Here is a pretty good tribute to Air McNair from the NFL site:

McNair helped bring stability and success to vagabond franchise

And I too (as I mentioned) would NOT be surprised if it is a "murder-suicide" in the end.
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#16 bigfun

bigfun

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,837 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:14 PM

This was really strange, found with a woman not his wife, not good.
Scott :flag_USA_ww2: :flag_netherlands:

#17 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• 10,198 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:25 PM

And I too (as I mentioned) would NOT be surprised if it is a "murder-suicide" in the end.

The latest new reports seem to be trending that way. Evidently, the gun was found under the woman. Curious.

image001.png

Lou

#18 jemimas_special2

jemimas_special2

Shepherd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:26 PM

Very sad... R.I.P McNair

I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter. ~ Winston Churchill

#19 SMLE shooter

SMLE shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:28 AM

Police rule McNair shooting death a homicide - FOX Sports on MSN
"This is the day which the lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." Psalms 118:24

Regards, Christian/SMLE shooter.:D

#20 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:42 PM

The latest new reports seem to be trending that way. Evidently, the gun was found under the woman. Curious.

The whole business seems to be leaning toward a murder-suicide, even though the authorities are rather mum on the theory. Here is even more about the young woman, McNair's relationship to her, their multiple trips together, and his presents to her. The pistol was one she had purchased only a short time (two days?) before the event.

Goto:

McNair slaying investigators await tests on gun - Yahoo! News

I dunno, looks to me like the police just want to get all their "ducks in a row" before stating what seems obvious.
  • SMLE shooter likes this
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#21 Sloniksp

Sloniksp

Ставка

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • 5,494 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:03 PM

This story just broke my heart. I have actually had the pleasure of meeting Steve on several occasions and have even had drinks at the bar with him..... He was a great guy and a fantastic athlete.

He did not deserve this.

Man its dangerous to be a celebrity these days!
The war against Russia will be such that it cannot be conducted in a knightly fashion. This struggle is one of ideologies and racial differences and will have to be conducted with unprecedented, unmerciful and unrelenting harshness. -Adolf Hitler

#22 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:32 PM

Police say when McNair went to his downtown condo sometime between 1:30 and 2 a.m. on Saturday Kazemi's car was already there. He was sitting on the sofa, likely asleep, when she shot him twice in the head and twice in the chest. Then she sat down next to him, positioning herself so that she would fall into his lap, and shot herself.

For full article:

McNair's girlfriend distraught over love and money - Yahoo! News

When a guy has his mid-life crisis, and looks for a "wild and crazy" girlfriend he should, apparently make dang sure he doens't really find one!

Happy Trails,
Clint.

#23 Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri

Kenraali

• 20,307 posts

User's Awards

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:43 AM

Another great personality and manager gone. R.I.P. Bobby!

Sir Bobby passes away aged 76 | Latest News | Football News from TEAMtalk

A statement issued on behalf of his family said: "It is with great sadness that it has been announced today that Sir Bobby Robson has lost his long and courageous battle with cancer.

"He died very peacefully this morning at his home in County Durham with his wife and family beside him.
Posted Image

#24 sniper1946

sniper1946

Expert

• Members
  • 12,559 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:11 AM

was honoured only last week in an england v germany match at newcastles ground,and the players who were part of the italia 1990 squad,from both sides...he certainly did,nt look well then,sad loss...r.i.p.

#25 AndyPants

AndyPants

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:54 AM

will be missed, RIP Sir Bobby
All the Best,

Andy

"people who are not themselves are nobody" - General George S. Patton

0 user(s) are reading this topic