Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Sports Legends who have Passed

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Kai-Petri, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Kendusimmus likes this.
  2. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

"Slingin’" Sammy Baugh has passed away at age 94, he sure was an astounding athlete:

"Baugh was the best all-around player in an era when versatility was essential. In 1943, he led the league in passing, punting and interceptions. In one game, he threw four touchdowns and also intercepted four passes. He threw six touchdowns passes in a game twice. His 51.4-yard punting average in 1940 remains the NFL record.

"There's nobody any better than Sam Baugh was in pro football," Don Maynard, a fellow West Texas Hall of Famer who played for Baugh, said in a 2002 interview. "When I see somebody picking the greatest player around, to me, if they didn't go both ways, they don't really deserve to be nominated. I always ask, 'Well, how'd he do on defense? How was his punting?"'

When Baugh entered the NFL, the forward pass was so rare that it was unveiled mostly in desperate situations.

As a rookie in 1937, he completed a record 81 passes (about seven a game) and led the league with 1,127 yards passing. By contrast, only six quarterbacks averaged three completions a game that year. He went on to lead the league in passing six times.
    Baugh still holds Redskins records for career touchdown passes (187) and completion percentage in a season (70.3). And his 31 interceptions on defense are third on the team's career list.

See:

Baugh, member of inaugural Hall of Fame class, dies at 94

One of his sons lives here in Billings MT., I wish he and all the Baugh family my deepest condolences on their loss of this fine and honest man.

3. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Baugh was as good as they come. One of the greatest players of all-time, he will surly be missed. RIP

4. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

His son (a district court judge) here in Billings was interveiwed and he remembered his Dad as a "cattleman who used to play football". He only saw his Dad play football once, and that was an exhibition game for a charity event. In that game Sammy threw a touchdown that was dis-allowed.

He threw the ball, it hit the crossbar of the goal posts, bounced back in the field of play, Baugh scooped it up and threw it again for a TD. The refs had a conference and said it was an "illegal forward pass", and discounted it . No matter, he ran it in on the next play.

5. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Tests show Cherepanov took performance enhancers - Yahoo! News

Russia's federal Investigative Committee said in a statement experts concluded from analysis of blood and urine samples that for several months Cherepanov "engaged in doping." A committee spokeswoman refused to specify the drugs Cherepanov allegedly took.

The committee said the club's medical team may carry legal liability, contending a "row of gross violations was committed by the medical brigade" helping Cherepanov.

6. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

Are the drugs what caused his unexpected death?

7. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Partly drugs, and it seems he was also suffering from myocarditis ( inflammation of heart muscle tissue ), probably viral in etiology. The info says he had had it for a long time, which probably means he was recovering from it. Would like to know what kinda drugs,though.

8. WalkerBulldog

WalkerBulldog Member

I know I'm late to this thread but I'll express my sympathies as well, it's always very sad when men (and women) with potential for full and rich lives are cut down so young. :(

One of the many reasons why wars are so terrible and why boards like this and other sites that convey its horrors are so important to our future.

I attended the U of Md for a short time so of course any time I hear of something like this one name comes to my mind: Lenny Bias.

9. Sloniksp

Sloniksp Ставка

I remember watching him play on TV and thinking this guys is amazing, truly a sad day for the sport...

How unfortunate.

My prayers go out to the family.

10. SMLE shooter

SMLE shooter Member

11. JagdtigerI

JagdtigerI Ace

Jeez so what's the famous people death count up to now....:(

RIP Steve McNair

12. MastahCheef117

MastahCheef117 Member

First MJ, then OxiClean, not this guy...

:'( Never heard of him before but R.I.P. anyway lol

13. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I enjoyed watching "Air McNair" play in the NFL, his strength of arm as well as field smarts made him a real competitor. The female found there was a "friend" from a nearby restaurant where she was a waitress or hostess.

The circumstances are not yet revealed to the public, but it seems they weren't an "item", or at least not a well known one. His having a condo where his wife was not a resident makes the whole situation rather "iffy" to my mind. I won't be shocke out of my socks to have a "murder-suicide" come to light later.

At any rate, RIP Mr. McNair.

SMLE shooter likes this.
  14. luketdrifter

luketdrifter Ace

It's totally murder suicide-chick got a DUI driving HIM home from the bar on Thursday night. Spent most of Friday locked up no doubt, as Tennessee DUI laws are fairly stiff, and got her revenge on Saturday? That's how I'm calling it.

15. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

16. bigfun

bigfun Ace

This was really strange, found with a woman not his wife, not good.

17. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

The latest new reports seem to be trending that way. Evidently, the gun was found under the woman. Curious.

18. jemimas_special2

jemimas_special2 Shepherd

Very sad... R.I.P McNair

I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter. ~ Winston Churchill

19. SMLE shooter

SMLE shooter Member

20. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

The whole business seems to be leaning toward a murder-suicide, even though the authorities are rather mum on the theory. Here is even more about the young woman, McNair's relationship to her, their multiple trips together, and his presents to her. The pistol was one she had purchased only a short time (two days?) before the event.

Goto:

McNair slaying investigators await tests on gun - Yahoo! News

I dunno, looks to me like the police just want to get all their "ducks in a row" before stating what seems obvious.

SMLE shooter likes this.