Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Big E Armament at 5-14-1945

Discussion in 'Naval Warfare in the Pacific' started by BigEFan, Mar 22, 2011.

1. BigEFan

BigEFan recruit

I'm building a 1/350 scale model of Big E using USS Hornet to start and 40mm & 20mm AA guns from L'Arsenal. I've been researching the placement of the new guns, but pictures of Big E are not clear enough for that.

Can anyone tell me where exactly the new additional guns were placed after the last upgrades before the last battle of Big E when she was put out of action by a kamakazi off Okinawa on 5-14-45?

Here is what Wikipedia tells me. Big E had at war's end:

40 x Bofors 40mm (6 Quad and 8 Twin)(6 x 4 = 24 and 2 x 8 = 16)

50 x Oerlikon 20mm

8 x 5"/38

Torpedo Blister

Besides replacing the 4 Quad 1.1" guns, where were the other Quad 40s located?

Where were the 8 Twin 40s located?

Where were the 50 Oerlikons located?

Thank you for you help.

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Wow, I wished I could help you, but some of the old salts here might can help you.

regardless, please feel free to post pics of your work.

3. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

There are 2 quad mounts forward of the island, two aft (replacing the 1.1"). The other two are on the hanger deck level port side aft just forward of the aircraft crane on the hanger deck there.

There are 4 forward, 2 each side, of the flight deck. The foward pair is right forward at the end of the flight deck, the second pair about half way to the 5" mounts. There is one on the bow right forward. One is just forward of the two quad 40mm aft of the island and about even with the crane. Two are right aft on each side of the flight deck.

These are distributed in the catwalks around the flight deck.

Now, there was a final refit after the May 45 kamikaze attack. Enterprise left Bremerton in August 45 with her final fit of guns (11 quad 40, 5 twin 40, and 16 twin 20mm)

If I get energetic I'll post photos of the Enterprise after the May Kamikaze hits and, after her refit finished in August 45.

mikebatzel and formerjughead like this.
  4. BigEFan

BigEFan recruit

Thanks TA Gardner! Great help. I just discovered Google, Images, USS Enterprise CV6, models done with detailed photos help to clarify the placement of all these additional AAA.

5. ResearcherAtLarge

ResearcherAtLarge Member

The drawing I have at the bottom of this document might be a little bit of help.

6. mac_bolan00

mac_bolan00 Member

a somewhat related question (actually some people tried to answer it unsuccessfully before.) i remember seeing a picture in a warships book of an allied ship simply captioned "a kamikaze nightmare." the picture showed a cruiser-sized ship (or maybe a converted merchantman) crammed with AA nests in every topside space available. i didn't see any gun bigger than maybe 5". i just remember a snippet in the caption saying japanese attack planes simply cannot withstand a barrage brought up (meaning the ship saw action?)

if you come up with a picture of that thing, it'll say it all.