Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

US service records and the Quartermaster General

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by traver24, May 11, 2011.

1. traver24

traver24 recruit

In the past I have done quite a bit of research on my great-uncle who was killed in France in 1945. Recently, I read a book about US involvement in World War I, and the author cited extensive records he obtained on individual casualties, etc from the US Quartermaster General. I was wondering if similar records exist for those killed in World War II from this source? Does the Quartermaster General have records of interest for those doing World War II genealogy? Thanks for any help.

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I don't know if this will help, but here's a link to the QM General's records at the National Archives. It might be worth looking through the site. The guide section on the left side of the page might be useful in research. Records of the office of the Quartermaster General [OQMG]

Good luck.

3. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

Do you have the IDPF for your great-uncle?

Dave

4. traver24

traver24 recruit

Yes, I have his IDPF file, and I checked the website for the National Archives. There is a long list of information the Quartermaster General can provide bit I didn't know how much it pertains to individuals.

5. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

The Quarter Master is responsible for the disposition of remains of service members who were killed/ died overseas, "Graves Registration" and "Mortuary Affairs" all fall under the Quartermaster Branch of Service. They are also the ones who establish and maintain the American Cemeteries abroad.

Kind of a sad indictment when a service member transitions from 'Personnel' to 'Cargo' or 'Donnage'

6. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

I think it is very unlikely that these QM records contain much if any info. on individual soldiers.

Dave