Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Need WW2 (AAA) expert help please!

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by jdm1985, May 23, 2011.

1. jdm1985

jdm1985 recruit

I have searched the web over and cannot find information on my grandfather's army unit. I know he was in Battery C, 743rd Anti-Aircraft Artillery Gun Battalion and served in New Guinea and the Philippines during WW2. I have read that some units were deactivated and others were reorganized; this may be the reason I cannot find any information. I am interested in finding out which regiment, division, corps, or army his unit may have been attached to. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks to all that assist!

2. akf86surf

akf86surf Member

I was in the same predicament as you looking for my grandfather's records. His unit seemed to have dissolved after the war.

Try emailing archives2reference@nara.gov

They may take awhile to get back you but can possibly answer your question. I emailed them my information and took about a month or two. Just explain as much as you can and your address, they may mail you what they find for free or pay for it. Ask for the Unit history for World War II or specific years. I was lucky to get 30 pages of the unit history all for free.

Look around on: National Archives and Records Administration loads of helpful information. I am new at this but hopefully more experienced people can give you a hand.

Aaron

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

743rd AAA Gun Battalion (Mobile)
    3 Apr 43 Australia Redesignated from 1st Battalion/94th Coast Artillery
    30 Jun 43 Kiriwina
    26 Dec 43 Goodenough Island
    2 Jan 44 New Guinea
    14 Jul 45 Philippines

Credited with East Indies and New Guinea Campaigns.

They were a non-divisional asset that was most likely part of the Southwest Pacific Area Force. I suspect that they were never attached to any lower echelon US combat formation and provided air defense for airfields on the islands where they were stationed.

4. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Most AAA units were dissolved soon after the war. The man I am writing a book about was arrested by his brother for fighting in Rennes after the war ended in Europe. His brother had been in a AAA battalion that was converted to MP companies near the end of the war. Other AAA men were not so fortunate and found themselves filling out infantry companies having received very little training in the art of small unit combat.

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

My father's experience mirrors this. He was in the 505th Coast Artillery originally. It was disbanded and he became part of the 900th AAA/AWB. As he used to tell it, when there were no more German planes to shoot down, he was retrained as an infantryman in the 473rd Infantry Regiment, attached to the 92nd Division in Italy. It appears he trained for the infantry for a couple of months.

6. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

As time goes by I see more and more AAA units that people have an interest in and there is little help as they were generally small units that went to the Pacific theater. However if you wish you can look up the "Skylighters" and you may find similar descriptions of AAA units and how they were trained. The Skylighters were of the 225th AAA Searchlight Battalion with lots of good information on that unit(website below) and maybe a few related units but mostly those that were in the European Theater. Otherwise it seems it is harder to research things in the Pacific theater where units were possibly smaller and attached to many larger groupings of troops that needed their service. Good luck with your search. The descriptions of equipment, and techniques closely resembles that of my dad's who ended up in the 545th Field Artillery where he continued to practice AAA activities in the Pacific. Although he was transferred to that unit he continued practicing his AAA skills while serving with this group.
    http://www.skylighters.org/

7. jdm1985

jdm1985 recruit

Thanks for the help! This gives me more to work with!

8. dogiejoe

dogiejoe New Member

I realize 4 years have passed since this question was posted and I don't know that I can be of any help. However, I was searching fro my dad's unit and found this site. He (Jack Weaver) was in the 743 AAA, Battery C. I know he was in Australia, New Guinea, and the Philippines. I have pictures of some of the crews, as well as natives of NG and "Trob". The gun was "Old Black Magic #2".
    He was inducted in Lubbock TX 26 Jul 42. I believe he had basic training at Fort Sill, OK, and trained at Camp Callan, CA. He was then sent to a Port of Embarkation (POE) somewhere in CA (San Diego? San Francisco?) but his ship had sailed and it took months for new orders to be cut. According to his discharge he sailed on 26 May 43, arriving (in Australia?) 21 Jun 43.
    He was discharged 8 Dec 45.
    I'll be glad to share any info I have.

AAA743rd and McCabe like this.
  9. Ron Goldstein

Ron Goldstein WWII Veteran

I don't know if you folk are at all interested in a Limey's experience of what happened to the Anti-Aircraft Regiments in Italy at the closing stages of the war in Italy.

In December 1944 my own unit was one of the many LAA units that were disbanded because the German Luftwaffe were no longer a threat.

As a Wireless Operator on a Bedford 15cwt truck I had the necessary skils to operate a 19 set on a Sherman Tank and was sent to a Royal Armoured Corps training depot in Rieti where I spent 12 weeks learning to be a member of a tank crew.

Once trained, I was sent to join a unit that was equipped with Priest and Sherman Kangaroos and spent the closing few months of the war in Italy chasing the Jerries out of the North of the country.

Ron

KodiakBeer and dogiejoe like this.
  10. dogiejoe

dogiejoe New Member

Ron, thanks for sharing. I'm sure my dad's experience was somewhat the same, though in a different theater (or, theatre, as you would say!) The Japanese air force was pretty much done for, I suppose. I know when he was in Philippines, they were planning for the invasion. I also know that after the war ended, he guarded Japanese ex-soldiers (would they be POWs?) and oversaw them on work details. He came home in December 45, 4 months after the war ended in the Pacific.

11. AAA743rd

AAA743rd New Member

Hey,

My father was in the 743rd AAA Bn. His discharge papers say it was attached to HQ Battery.

He was in Northern Solomons & New Guinea campaigns. He arrived in theater 05Sept44 & left 03Sept45 (injured).

This wiki link shows 743rd participating in landing at Saidor, New Guinea. I have not been able to find any other info on his battalian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_at_Saidor_order_of_battle

I can provide other info like where he trained (Eastern NC) etc. if you are interested. Unfortunately, I do not have pictures & he passed away in 2000.

MT

12. LRusso216

It's unlikely that your father participated in the invasion. If he arrived in theater in September 1944 the invasion took place earlier. I found this bit:
    "The scheduled D-day for MICHAELMAS Task Force was 2 January 1944."
    http://www.32nd-division.org/history/ww2/32ww2-6.html
    There's plenty of information about the landing as well.

13. AAA743rd

AAA743rd New Member

Lou, correct. I was just saying that the Saidor OoB was the only thing I've found. Hoping other people had info on 743rd or other HQ batter.

14. LRusso216

It would seem that the site I mentioned has plenty of information on the planning leading up to the invasion. It's worth a look.

Also came across this:
    "Barbey's VII Amphibious Fleet carried the 126th Infantry Regimental Combat Team (RCT), 32d Division, from Finschhafen through the Dampier Straits 175 miles to Saidor. In contrast to the confusion at Nassau Bay just six months earlier, the unopposed landing at Saidor on 2 January 1944 was a model of precision. Troops and cargo were unloaded in record time, and, at the cost of 6 battle casualties, more than 6,700 troops and their supplies were ashore by evening. MacArthur now had an intermediate staging base for his Madang operation, control of both sides of the straits, and an enemy division trapped at Sio between the Australian 9th Division's steady advance and the 126th RCT's blocking position at Saidor."
    http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-C-NewGuinea/

15. AAA743rd

AAA743rd New Member