Photo
- - - - -

I just ran across an amazing salary disconnect...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 03:28 PM

Now, don't ask me why this struck me so deeply other than I was a huge fan of Mickey Mantle. Of course his alcohol and womanizing weren't well known at the time, but even if they had been I would have still been a fan. He was just so talented, and able to play through pain many didn't even know he suffered.

All that said, if he had never spent a single dime of the money he made in 18 years of MLB (not counting endorsement income) it would be about $1.3 million. Even if adjusted for inflation using 1960 as the base-line, it still comes in at about $9.5 million! This is over an 18 year career, not a single season wage like A.Rod or Jeter or somebody. Alex Rodriguez’s income from the Yankees last year alone? Salary + playoff winnings: $32,000,000. His extra endorsement income: $4,000,000! That's right $36,000,000 in one year alone.

They (to my mind) aren't qualified to carry water for "The Mick", but they certainly have something Mantle never had, the free agent clause, personal financial advisers, and agents. Admittedly those guys get a cut, but still......

Edited by brndirt1, 17 June 2011 - 04:45 PM.

Happy Trails,
Clint.

#2 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,758 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:00 PM

That is one of the many reasons that I do not watch professional sports much at all.
  • Biak likes this

Best Regards,  
JW :slipdigit:

SlidigitAxe.png

#3 Skipper

Skipper

Kommodore

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 22,099 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:57 PM

Give the people bread and games. If those guys had no supporters, there wouldn't be any money for them. The trouble is that we live in a society where sport is more valued than education so the big shots have more bucks to take (note I didn't say earn).

Vorsicht+Feind.JPG

#4 Biak

Biak

Adjutant

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 5,539 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:06 PM

I'm with slipdigit, I refuse to add to their preconceived notion they are worth my dollar. Now if we can get the big cities to quit paying for the stadiums and let the owners built their own.

Happiness is nice but it can't buy money.

Kilroy_Was_Here_by_catluvr2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users