Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

7th Army and ETO HQ question

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by rob stickman, May 2, 2006.

1. rob stickman

rob stickman recruit

Hello. I'm new here. My Grandfather served in WWII from 1943 to the end of 1945. He never told us much but I am trying to piece together his military service. We know he was in Britian prior to D-Day. We think he said he went into Normandy on D-Day plus 10. His arm patches are for the 7th Army ETO 1944, and HQ ETO and Communication Zone 1944. He was a mechanic and driver and helped get supplies across France.

I don't know a whole lot more other than his service number and dates of service.

Could anyone help direct me to the next step in researching this? I have contacted the US Archives and only received the service dates and rank.

2. Ali Morshead

Ali Morshead Member

7th Army was Patton's command in Sicily, July-Aug 1943

By Dec43, still commanded by Patton, consisted of a few skeleton HQ's & service Units.

At this time planning for ANVIL was in place and 7th Army was to command the troops, Mark Clark was to be the commander.

On 14-15 August 1944 7th Army landed in Southern France (ANVIL/DRAGOON)and fougth up the Rhone Valley , joining with the forces landed at Normandy about 14 Sept 1944.

I think your first step is to find his unit and work from there (Try Google!!)

3. rob stickman

rob stickman recruit

Thanks Ali. I started doing some google poking the other day on the HQ ETO in Britian. I do not have a clear understanding of the command structure between the 7th and the HQ ETO. I assume that the units of the 7th in GB were under the command of the HQ ETO. Was the 7th split between the Rhone Valley and Great Britian?

4. Ali Morshead

Ali Morshead Member

As far as I can see, 7th Army units came out of the Med.

But SHAEF could have allocated units after they linked up so its not impossible to achieve both criteria.

5. Rob Gorrell

Rob Gorrell Member

I have located a postcard that grandpa brought or sent back home. It is of the Cite' Universitaire in Basencon. I read that the city wa liberated in September '44. He apparently circled a window in the building that makes us think he stayed there. I also read that the Seventh went through the town at that time. I am getting confused by another item. He said that he went into France on D-Day plus 10, and "hauled supplies to Patton, when we could find the SOB." Am I right that Patton was with the 3rd Army after D-Day? What connection was there between the 7th and the 3rd. I think he mentioned being part of the Red Ball Express, but I might be remembering the story wrong.

Thoughts?

Still no luck so far identifying his unit exactly.