Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Iwo Jima "Gung Ho" Image

Discussion in 'Land Warfare in the Pacific' started by BrianP, Jul 23, 2011.

1. BrianP

BrianP Member

Does anyone know a place online that indentifies the Marines in Rosenthal's "gung ho" image taken shortly after the second flag raising on Iwo Jima?

Thank you in advance.

2. formerjughead

formerjughead The Cooler King

Wikipedia or you can "google" search any of the Flag Raisers or even Joe Rosenthal or probaly Iwo Jima or 7th War Bond Drive.

IN anycase I am refusing to answer this question for you, and I will strongly discourage anyone else from answering it for you as well, untill you can prove due dilligence in in researching the subject for your self.

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Which image are you referring to? The group shot that shows Ira Hayes sitting on the ground to the left?

4. formerjughead

No I am pretty sure he means this one; beings it is the Rosenthal photo:

The one with:
    Harlan Block, Mike Strank, Ira Hayes, John Bradley, Frank Sously and Rene Gagnon in it.

[​IMG]

5. BrianP

BrianP Member

This is the photo in question, also taken by Rosenthal. All of the second flag raisers are there and know which ones they are. I can't find ID's on the other 12 Marines, though. I apologize for not posting the image at the start of the thread.
    [​IMG]

6. formerjughead

Apology Accepted. 7 of those are named in this Photo from the same source as your photo. Assuming that no one left the top of Suribachi that leaves 6 un named. James Bradley participated in both flag raisings. A good search might be: Company E 2 BN 28th Marines.
    [​IMG]

7. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

Aye, Aye Sir!

8. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large

I have an old (couple of years) issue of Leatherneck Magazine that has this pic and a whole lot of others, many I've never seen before, and identifies the Marines in them. I'll try and dig it out in the morning and give you an answer if you haven't already gotten one.

9. bill39

bill39 Member

Take a look at James Bradley's book Flags of Our Fathers.

10. FlynTiger

FlynTiger Member

I bought an original print from the 40's (so the lady told me) of this picture and had it framed in a lifetime frame.

FT

11. m1 mac

m1 mac recruit

I found this photo online, it has names but not sure how accurate they are. It has Ira Hayes listed as Ira Hamilton. Im trying to ID #13 The person who is telling me its him is a different name.

Attached Files:

12. m1 mac

m1 mac recruit

I found this online..it shows number seven is wrong in the above pic. Looks like it should read #7 Gerald D. Ziehme

[h=2]"Mt. Suribachi, Iwo Jima[/h]
    [​IMG]A nearly 60 year struggle to prove that Gerald D. Ziehme was in the "Gung Ho" photo by Joe Rosenthal on Mt. Suribachi, Iwo Jima.
    It has taken years, many attorneys, two photo identification experts, but finally Jerry (A corpsman on Iwo Jima) has been recognized as the 8th man from the left in the famous picture of l8 men gathered around the flag shortly after the famous candid picture that resulted in this monument was taken.

His face is in a shadow which made it difficult to see clearly. Expert forensic methods were used, and he was positively identified by Dr. James Ebert of Albuquerque, NM. and Mr. Kulush from Chicago.

He was mistaken, too, because of a confusion of similar names. There was a corpsman by the name of Jim R. Zima. Zima--Ziehme--they sound so similar. Jim Zima's daughter said the her father was not on Mt. Suribachi that day.

Jerry is 82 years of age; he is legally blind, and his kidneys are shutting down. We are so grateful that he finally got the recognition he deserves! He went through Hell as anyone who served on Iwo Jima did. Those who survived and those who didn't should NEVER be forgotten!

Sincerely,
    Mrs. Gerald Ziehme "

13. m1 mac

m1 mac recruit

Hope you guys dont mind me posting these but Im hooked on finding the right names. Here it looks like the question mark should read Jack Ryland Thurman.

"In time, all 18 would be identified except for the one man standing at the far left, the one smiling, his cap held high. For him, the caption beneath always read "unknown."

But not any more. It turns out he was a 19-year-old South Dakota farm boy from Mitchell named Jack Ryland Thurman.

The discovery was made after James Bradley's book, "Flags of Our Fathers," was published in 2000. Thurman's relatives began telling others they knew who was in the photo.

Moments before the photo was made, "they had asked for volunteers from the 27th Regiment of the Marine Corps' 5th Division to help the 28th Regiment secure the mountain," Thurman, 82, recalled from his home in Boulder, Colo.

"I was standing down alongside the mountain, watching them gather for a picture," he said. "A guy called out, 'Hey, get up here.' I said I was with the 27th Regiment. He said, 'Makes no difference. You're one of us.' "

S.D. native finally gets his due

14. Cwynne

Cwynne recruit

Hi! My name is Carrie Michel-Wynne and I am new to this forum. I was lead here by doing some very preliminary research on my Grandfather, Gerald Michel, from Wayland NY. We was part of the 5th Marine Division, Company A, first battalion. 27th Regiment. I had a wonderful visit with my grandmother this past weekend and it was the first time I saw some items my grandfather brought back with him from Iwo Jima. It has long been shared that my Grandfather was one of the men in the Gung Ho photo but it was never discussed in depth. In fact he never did an interview until he was 70. My grandmother has a photo said to have been given to my Grandfather by Rosenthal. One of the former posts has an identified picture. My Grandmother indicates my Grandfather is the gentleman who is listed as Shultz in the numbered photo above. I had no idea how controversial the photo was. It was interesting that m1 mac stated that Thurman pointed out that volunteers from the 27th Regiment helped secure the mountain. That was the Regiment my Grandfather was in. If anyone else has information about the men in the photo, I would love to learn more.

15. Clementine

Clementine Member

The photo is in Flags of our Fathers, and it does have the names. (I have the book at home, but not with me.) Can you get a copy of it?

16. gerardsmit

gerardsmit New Member

Hi I am also new to this forum, I have a issue with the identity of the man to the left sitting or leaning. Everyone stayes that this is Ira h. I was curious if Ira had injury to his left hand. Here's the reason why I ask, my father Chester c smith of th 28th 5th divison 2nd battleon looked alot like Ira hayse, my father Chester c smith had a injury to his left hand to his little finger. His finger was sowed back on and later aftrr the war they lopped it off as he put it. So in the photo look at the left hand and you can clearly see this injury which is identical to my dads. He received a purple heart for this. I was hoping there is evidence showing Ira had this injury. I'm sure it was a confusing time, but as his son I need to know. Any help would be great.

17. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

It might help if you could post a photo of your father, preferably from the War or just after, and also showing his wounded hand. (I don't ask for much, do I?) It would help in doing a comparison between the above photo and the one of your father.

18. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

What great photos all of them...only champions can smile like that after what they've just been through.