• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 belasar

belasar

Court Jester

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:06 PM

I just completed reading a book by a veteran who served in the US 3rd Armord Division during the last months of the war. He kept refering to Jeeps as Peeps. According to him Peep was the name in use at the time but was commonly changed to Jeep later. This the first I have heard of this name being used for the Jeep. Has anyone else heard of it? Was it common to troops in armord units, or has this guy spent too much time in the sun?
Wars are rarely fought in black and white, but in infinite shades of grey

(Poppy is occasionaly correct, or so I hear)

#2 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:21 PM

I wouldn't doubt that was his own, or his groups derisive name for the little scout car. It was (the design) called everything from "peep" to pygmy, quad to Bantam. But, that said the name "Jeep" was most common after production began, there were however real "Seeps" (the amphibious version from Ford), here is a pretty definitive run-down on the name of the unit.

Goto:

History of the Jeep, both the word and the vehicle - How it got it's Jeep Name - Brian's Military Jeeps of WWII -
  • belasar and Chi-Ri like this
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#3 belasar

belasar

Court Jester

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for the link!
Wars are rarely fought in black and white, but in infinite shades of grey

(Poppy is occasionaly correct, or so I hear)

#4 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 07:51 PM

You are welcome for the link, and don't forget that the word had been around since WW1. The term "jeep" had been around from WW1 when a new vehicle was introduced into the motorpool, or even when a new recruit was introduced into the group until they were tested.

An unknown quality was a "jeep". This in turn may have influenced the cartoon character's name in "Popeye" (Eugene the Jeep) since his/her/its abilities were both unknown and barely believable.

Why did the "Jeep", whether built by Willys as the MB or by Ford as the GP(W) become know as the Jeep? I think it is a combination of the old motorpool slang, carried into the cartoon character, and extended by the internal/unintentional nomenclature of the Ford Company. They (Ford) used G for government contracts, and P for all 80 inch wheelbase units, and the (W) since they were using the Willys designs and specs so the unit they made would be interchangeable with the MB already in production.
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#5 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,342 posts
  • LocationThe Land of 10,000 Loons

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:46 PM

... there were however real "Seeps" (the amphibious version from Ford) ...

I love irony. :D

Freedom is precious and many gave their lives for it. It is the duty of the future generation
to remember that sacrifice, and offer some sacrifice for themselves if Freedom is threatened.

Cecil Earl Workman, WWII Veteran, "L" Co., 129th Inf. Regt., 37th Inf. Div.

halvorsonpto129ir37id3.jpg

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

bannereto776tdv2.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#6 Von Poop

Von Poop

Waspish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,353 posts
  • LocationPerfidious Albion

User's Awards

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:01 PM

There's also the 'Beep' (big jeep) - T214 WC52/53 series.

Possibly the most famous 'Seep', the Carlin's 'Half-Safe':
THE 'HALF SAFE' - British Pathe
Amphibious Jeep Half Safe

~A
It's only the Internet...

#7 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:22 PM

I really liked a couple of the ads posted on Brian's Jeep website. These are the best. An ad for Warn Winches back in "the day" was; "Paved roads are another example of useless government spending." And another winner (to my mind) was by Jeep; "God created asphalt so yuppies could go four-wheeling."
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#8 Up From Marseille

Up From Marseille

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:31 AM

Having interviewed several vets who served in an armored unit for my book, I'd say that the term "peep" was well-known, not at all derogatory, and in widespread use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users