Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Peeps vs Jeeps

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by belasar, Jul 24, 2011.

1. belasar

belasar Court Jester

I just completed reading a book by a veteran who served in the US 3rd Armord Division during the last months of the war. He kept refering to Jeeps as Peeps. According to him Peep was the name in use at the time but was commonly changed to Jeep later. This the first I have heard of this name being used for the Jeep. Has anyone else heard of it? Was it common to troops in armord units, or has this guy spent too much time in the sun?

2. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Chi-Ri and belasar like this.
  3. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Thanks for the link!

4. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

You are welcome for the link, and don't forget that the word had been around since WW1. The term "jeep" had been around from WW1 when a new vehicle was introduced into the motorpool, or even when a new recruit was introduced into the group until they were tested.

An unknown quality was a "jeep". This in turn may have influenced the cartoon character's name in "Popeye" (Eugene the Jeep) since his/her/its abilities were both unknown and barely believable.

Why did the "Jeep", whether built by Willys as the MB or by Ford as the GP(W) become know as the Jeep? I think it is a combination of the old motorpool slang, carried into the cartoon character, and extended by the internal/unintentional nomenclature of the Ford Company. They (Ford) used G for government contracts, and P for all 80 inch wheelbase units, and the (W) since they were using the Willys designs and specs so the unit they made would be interchangeable with the MB already in production.

5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I love irony. :D

6. von Poop

von Poop Waspish

7. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I really liked a couple of the ads posted on Brian's Jeep website. These are the best. An ad for Warn Winches back in "the day" was; "Paved roads are another example of useless government spending." And another winner (to my mind) was by Jeep; "God created asphalt so yuppies could go four-wheeling."

8. Up From Marseille

Up From Marseille Member

Having interviewed several vets who served in an armored unit for my book, I'd say that the term "peep" was well-known, not at all derogatory, and in widespread use.