Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Translation help needed 7./II/JR4 War Diaries

Discussion in 'Winter and Continuation Wars' started by daft, Aug 20, 2011.

1. daft

daft Member

Hey guys.

I'm currently researching my grandfathers experiences in WW2. He served in the 7th company, Jalkaväkiykmentti 4 from October 1943 through to the end of the war against the Soviet Union and he participated in the retreat fighting from Shemenski in June to Kaukojärvi in September.

Some years ago I interviewed him about his experiences and got a lot of interesting stories, both horrifying and funny, from him. Now that the war diaries of most Finnish units are available online, I want to create a more readable narrative of his units experiences and put his stories in context. Problem is, my Finnish sucks... I'm in the process of learning, but I need help with translations of all these documents.

So my question is, can someone help out with this? I can't offer much more than my eternal gratitude as payment, but if I could just get translations of these documents I might be able to put together a rather interesting story of a company and one man's experiences.

PM me or respond here if you are interested.

2. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Sorry I did not notice this somehow earlier but definitely ready to help you here. I suppose you can e-mail those documents? Send me a pm. Cheers Kai-Petri

daft likes this.
  3. daft

daft Member

Excellent! PM sent. :) Many thanks!

4. daft

daft Member

Difficult stuff this. Everything points to him serving in 9./JR4, not 7. coy. The war diaries being available on the Internet is awesome, and I have a bunch of the relevant ones stored and I slowly work my way through them but it is amazingly slow work due to me not being fluent in Finnish, google translate requiring its own translation. :) If anyone is still interested in giving me a hand, just let me know.