Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Banner Ads

Discussion in 'Counter-Battery Fire' started by belasar, Aug 20, 2011.

1. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Has anyone noticed some of our banner ads at the top of each page? If memory serves, they tended to be military related before, but now seem to be car and political ads. I can live with car ads, but political ones may just cause problems or turn off potential posters who may feel the ad reflects a point of view pushed by the forum. Any thoughts?

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Unfortunately, we have to take the good with the bad and those ads pay for this forum.

We entered into a contract with Google to provide the advertisements and it is in their best interest to provide meaningful ads, given the subject of the forum. Unfortunately, given the current economic climate, I suspect that ad content will have to occasionally take a backseat to ad revenue, if we want to to enjoy the forum as a free site.

3. belasar

belasar Court Jester

What I had suspected, We will just have to soldier on as best we can. On the bright side the election will be over in about 15 months :eek::eek::eek:

4. Slipdigit

To be honest with you, I rarely even look at them and since I am an admin, I never click on them. I do not want Google to accuse us upping our click-through count and pull the ads.

5. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I'm in agreement with Jeff, I too rarely even notice them anymore, I know they are there and fund this wonderful place but I ignore them as a "necessary evil". The same as I ignore them most everywhere else.

6. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Honestly, my first thought when I saw the topic was, "Someone wants to add banner ads to the forum." I never really pay attention to them on any website I visit, though I do share belasar's concerns. Hopefully, folks will not judge us by the "color" of our banner ads, but by the content of our forum. ;)

7. Mehar

Mehar Ace

Adsense ads (which I assume are used on the forums) are usually randomly generated based on site content, sometimes they could also be generated based on a specific user's browsing habits if they use other Google products. When I visit the gaming forums I usually get game related ads, if I visit a thread asking for record info I usually get ancestry related stuff, etc, sometimes I just get random stuff.

8. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Our Banner ads have reached a new low or high depending upon your point of vier. After I congratulated Martin on ten years a banner ad for a Lesbian online dating service came up. Now I know my browser history had nothing to do with it and unless our forum has changed lately, neither did our content. I think VBuliten is out to get us!

9. Slipdigit

It is not vBulletin. The ads are handled through Google.

10. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

Interesting....were they in WWII uniform ? :confused:

11. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Well,....That might have been.....

Bad belasar, bad belasar!

12. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Most the time's when I log on or even just change the page, I keep getting an 'invite' from Stephanie :confused: She says she wants to meet me and be my friend but I'm beginning to think she is stalking me! She use to pop-up in the banner now and then but lately it is nearly the first ad every time I log on. She's already 'popped-up' four times today!
    She also must have a sister "Shannon" since I occasionally get an invite from her and curiously enough they both live only 2.8 miles away? Even though I've never responded my wife is getting suspicious.

13. belasar

belasar Court Jester

You stay away from my Steph', shes only 1.7 miles from me!

14. Biak

Wow, I didn't realize we lived so close to each other. Need to have a cookout and invite Urgh!

15. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Maybe he lives 1.7 miles away from you too

16. Biak

Well I did watch an episode of "The Universe" last night and just because Texas is only 1400 or so miles away from Northern Minnesota ( in our version of reality) anythings possible :) Or maybe there are "Two" Shephanie's looking for 'a friend'.
    Oh Great! Now someone's trying to sell me my own website!