82 replies to this topic

#1 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:41 PM

Today starts the college football season, so I guess it is time to begin a thread. Some big games this week that I am looking forward to. I plan to watch the Wisconsin game tonight to see how quarterback transfer Russell Wilson does. Oregon and LSU Saturday night should be the biggest game this week, but a Boise/Georgia matchup looks pretty good as well. Its good those are both night games so I don’t have to miss PSU in a cupcake game.

So who’s your favorite team, and how do they stack up this season?
Please give the Combined Fleet the chance to bloom as flowers of death. This is the navy’s earnest request. RADM Tasuku Nakazawa prior to the Battle of Leyte Gulf
It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it will not be fought on U.S. soil. Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

#2 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 10,079 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:01 PM

My favorite is always Penn State, but I fear that they are destined for a low finish in the Big Ten and a nothing bowl bid.

image001.png

Lou

#3 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,671 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:35 AM

Weeeelllllllllll.....you know mine, Mike. The Crimson Tide of the University of Alabama.

Best Regards,  
JW :slipdigit:

SlidigitAxe.png

#4 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:25 AM

Jeff, what do you think about Texas A&M wanting to join the SEC?
Please give the Combined Fleet the chance to bloom as flowers of death. This is the navy’s earnest request. RADM Tasuku Nakazawa prior to the Battle of Leyte Gulf
It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it will not be fought on U.S. soil. Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

#5 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,671 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:05 PM

Nothing against aTm, but the SEC is large enough. I am concerned that the league will get so large that it will start negatively affecting some traditional rivalries. UA plays UT every year (The Third Saturday in October), even those two teams are in different divisions, as do UGA and the Barn.

With seven teams in each division, it will up the required divisional games to six, with three regular cross-divisional games. Then trying to shoehorn a traditional cross-divisional rivalry in there, it would leave very little wiggle room to play teams outside the league, as only two could be scheduled.

There are several teams that Alabama used to play almost every year that they no longer play because of the large conference we have now. When I was a boy, I thought that Southern Miss was in the SEC, because Alabama played them every year, as did several other teams. Of course, with USM being in CUSA has had some effect, but them being dropped from the UA schedule started before USM joined CUSA.

Edited by Slipdigit, 02 September 2011 - 07:17 PM.
reworded for better clarity

Best Regards,  

SlidigitAxe.png

#6 mcoffee

mcoffee

Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 02:40 PM

Jeff, you make valid points, but unfortunately the "Amateur" NCAA has become such a big business that traditions that are important to Alumni and fans are not a consideration in the search for more TV dollars. The major driver in A&M's desire to leave the Big 10 (how can it be twelve with soon-to-be only 9 teams?) is the launch of the Longhorn Network. Why play second fiddle in what will be the Texas And Everyone Else Conference? Odds are that the SEC will have 14 if not 16 teams by next season. In the process, conference Armageddon will likely occur as schools scramble for the best deals in the zero-sum realignment to follow.
Illegitimis non carborundum

#7 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:17 PM

I really don't like how all these super conferences are beginning to take shape either. While I think it could give the college football world the ability to force the NCAA into changing some of the outdated rules, I'm not sure how such a thing would effect other athletic programs. Primarily basketball which is another sport making mad money for some programs. What's good for one sport could be terrible for others.

#8 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:56 PM

Both of our larger Montana college teams were away games this weekend, and they both lost. The UM Grizzly team really got thumped by the Tennessee team, but the MSU Bobcats didn't do as poorly in their loss to the Utah Utes. But both were losses none the less.
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#9 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:31 PM

Bummer Clint. How do both those teams stack up with the rest of thier confrence? I have to admit knowing nothing about either team. No real big suprises this week I thought, unless you think Notre Dame deserved thier preseason rank.

Edited by mikebatzel, 07 September 2011 - 10:32 AM.
spacing

#10 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:41 PM

Bummer Clint. How do both those teams stack up with the rest of there confrence? I have to admit knowing nothing about either team.No real big suprises this week I thought, unless you think Notre Dame deserved thier preseason rank.

Our college teams of any size play in what is called The Big Sky Conference, and it includes a number of the "medium" (9) sized universities in the west. I think there was only a pair of "in conference" games this past week-end, so where anybody ranks right now is rather a puzzler. I wasn't surprised at the ND game, the one that really sort of surprised me was the Oregon Ducks embarrassing thumping, I thought they would travel better than that. I thought the Boise State boys were quite a surprise to Georgia Tech. as well.
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#11 mcoffee

mcoffee

Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:00 PM

I thought the Boise State boys were quite a surprise to Georgia Tech. as well.

Do NOT associate Georgia Tech with those mangy mongrels - them's fightin' words!

#12 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:11 PM

Do NOT associate Georgia Tech with those mangy mongrels - them's fightin' words!

Sorry 'bout that, I saw Georgia and thought "Tech" when it was the Bulldogs instead. Mea Culpa, I do understand the "fightin' words" sentiment. You almost cannot get a "Griz" fan and the "Cat" fan to talk to each other during football season, but that isn't always the case. I know of two married couples with one alum from each school, and they are still married after many, many years. Sometimes "love does conquer all".
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#13 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,671 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:36 PM

UGA may have lost the game Boise State and embarrased the entire SEC, but they won the award for the Most Ridiculous Looking Uniform of the Week. That is an honor worth noting, considering they were up against a newcomer, Maryland and perennial favorite, Oregon.

Best Regards,  

SlidigitAxe.png

#14 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 07:44 PM

Oregon a fav you say Jeff ? they blew it in last years bowl game and their playing with LSU was a tad dismal to say the least, not sure if they will even succeed ins taying with the top 25 this year.

as for Boise state Clint why isn't the Montana teams in the same league/conference as BS ? or are they. there was talk two years ago to have BS in the PAC-10 as that would be quite interesting.
:aceofspades: E ~

#15 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:06 PM

UGA may have lost the game Boise State and embarrased the entire SEC, but they won the award for the Most Ridiculous Looking Uniform of the Week. That is an honor worth noting, considering they were up against a newcomer, Maryland and perennial favorite, Oregon.

Those new "Terps" uniforms were odd to say the least, sort of reminded my of the old original "Roller Ball" for some reason. I wish teams would stick with their traditional uniforms and the history of same. Erich, as to why no Montana teams are in the same conference as Boise State I think (my opinion only) it is a combination of student enrollment size, and funding to the athletic programs from both private and corporate sponsors.

First off you got to remember that the head honcho of Nike is a major fan and sponsor of Oregon, so their uniforms are like a "show-room" for Nike products. And they don’t just change uniform combos every season, they change every game. The uniforms were redesigned a few years ago and there are four sets of pants, four sets of shirts, four sets of helmets.

The idea is that a four year player at Oregon could go his entire career and never wear the same exact uniform twice. They also wear throwback uniforms a couple times a year. It's their 'unique' thing. I didn't agree with the NCAA ruling that the Boise State Broncos couldn't wear all blue on their unique blue astro-turf at home. How is that different from another home team wearing all "green" on their home field? I never cared for the "blue turf", but it was unique.
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#16 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:15 PM

you could be right Clint on the league enrollment issue. as to Oryguns fanciful and sometimes rather butt-ugly uni's guess the colour scheme is in the eye of the beholder but otherwise probably increases some nike wear sales though their clothing is pure crap ..........always has been since day one.

#17 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:38 PM

The AP Top 25 following 1 week of Play

[TABLE="class: tablehead"]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-201"]
[TD]1
[/TD]
[TD]Oklahoma (32)
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]1448
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-99"]
[TD]2
[/TD]
[TD]LSU (17)
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]1415
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-333"]
[TD]3
[/TD]
[TD]Alabama (9)
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]1409
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-68"]
[TD]4
[/TD]
[TD]Boise State (2)
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]1310
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-52"]
[TD]5
[/TD]
[TD]Florida State
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]1196
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-24"]
[TD]6
[/TD]
[TD]Stanford
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]1154
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-245"]
[TD]7
[/TD]
[TD]Texas A&M
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]1033
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-275"]
[TD]8
[/TD]
[TD]Wisconsin
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]1031
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-197"]
[TD]9
[/TD]
[TD]Oklahoma State
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]981
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-158"]
[TD]10
[/TD]
[TD]Nebraska
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]947
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-259"]
[TD]11
[/TD]
[TD]Virginia Tech
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]906
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-2579"]
[TD]12
[/TD]
[TD]South Carolina
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]843
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-2483"]
[TD]13
[/TD]
[TD]Oregon
[/TD]
[TD]0-1
[/TD]
[TD]828
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-8"]
[TD]14
[/TD]
[TD]Arkansas
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]752
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-194"]
[TD]15
[/TD]
[TD]Ohio State
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]606
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-344"]
[TD]16
[/TD]
[TD]Mississippi State
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]594
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-127"]
[TD]17
[/TD]
[TD]Michigan State
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]530
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-57"]
[TD]18
[/TD]
[TD]Florida
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]382
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-277"]
[TD]19
[/TD]
[TD]West Virginia
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]357
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-239"]
[TD]20
[/TD]
[TD]Baylor
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]284
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-142"]
[TD]21
[/TD]
[TD]Missouri
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]242
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-58"]
[TD]22
[/TD]
[TD]South Florida
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]221
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-213"]
[TD]23
[/TD]
[TD]Penn State
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]147
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-251"]
[TD]24
[/TD]
[TD]Texas
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]135
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-2628"]
[TD]25
[/TD]
[TD]TCU
[/TD]
[TD]0-1
[/TD]
[TD]130
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Dropped from rankings: Notre Dame 16, Georgia 19, Auburn 23, USC 25

I was kinda suprised to see TCU didn't drop completely out of the rankings.

#18 mcoffee

mcoffee

Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:34 PM

Sorry 'bout that, I saw Georgia and thought "Tech"

That's okay. Its understandable that when thinking of an institute of higher learning Tech would come to mind rather than that 2-bit party school.

UGA may have lost the game Boise State and embarrased the entire SEC, but they won the award for the Most Ridiculous Looking Uniform of the Week.

What's not to like about Power Ranger footie pajamas?:rolleyes:

#19 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 04:49 PM

Oregon a fav you say Jeff ? they blew it in last years bowl game and their playing with LSU was a tad dismal to say the least, not sure if they will even succeed ins taying with the top 25 this year.

I think you underestimate Oregon, Erich. I dont see a better team coming out of the PAC-12 this year. Stanford maybe, but I think they lose a couple this year and wont get any love on the strength of schedule. You want to get the loss out early anyways. Much easier to climb back into the mix early than late. I'll bet they finish the season ranked around 12.

#20 Erich

Erich

Alte Hase

• Members
  • 14,429 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 05:10 PM

Mike

I think it's the uniforms . . . . . Oregon Duckies have always had big heads . . . . . QUACK ! my bride is a Oregon State Uni alumni.

#21 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 03:49 PM

The AP Top 25 following 2 weeks of play

[TABLE="class: tablehead"]
[TR="class: colhead"]
[TD="align: left"]RK
[/TD]
[TD="align: left"]TEAM
[/TD]
[TD]RECORD
[/TD]
[TD]PTS
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-201"]
[TD]1
[/TD]
[TD]Oklahoma (32)
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]1441
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-333"]
[TD]2
[/TD]
[TD]Alabama (9)
[/TD]
[TD]2-0
[/TD]
[TD]1422
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-99"]
[TD]3
[/TD]
[TD]LSU (17)
[/TD]
[TD]2-0
[/TD]
[TD]1416
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-68"]
[TD]4
[/TD]
[TD]Boise State (2)
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]1309
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-52"]
[TD]5
[/TD]
[TD]Florida State
[/TD]
[TD]2-0
[/TD]
[TD]1194
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-24"]
[TD]6
[/TD]
[TD]Stanford
[/TD]
[TD]2-0
[/TD]
[TD]1161
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-275"]
[TD]7
[/TD]
[TD]Wisconsin
[/TD]
[TD]2-0
[/TD]
[TD]1091
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-197"]
[TD]8
[/TD]
[TD]Oklahoma State
[/TD]
[TD]2-0
[/TD]
[TD]1034
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-245"]
[TD]9
[/TD]
[TD]Texas A&M
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]1023
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-158"]
[TD]10
[/TD]
[TD]Nebraska
[/TD]
[TD]2-0
[/TD]
[TD]893
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-2579"]
[TD]11
[/TD]
[TD]South Carolina
[/TD]
[TD]2-0
[/TD]
[TD]888
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-2483"]
[TD]12
[/TD]
[TD]Oregon
[/TD]
[TD]1-1
[/TD]
[TD]848
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-259"]
[TD]13
[/TD]
[TD]Virginia Tech
[/TD]
[TD]2-0
[/TD]
[TD]830
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-8"]
[TD]14
[/TD]
[TD]Arkansas
[/TD]
[TD]2-0
[/TD]
[TD]768
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-127"]
[TD]15
[/TD]
[TD]Michigan State
[/TD]
[TD]2-0
[/TD]
[TD]598
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-57"]
[TD]16
[/TD]
[TD]Florida
[/TD]
[TD]2-0
[/TD]
[TD]511
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-194"]
[TD]17
[/TD]
[TD]Ohio State
[/TD]
[TD]2-0
[/TD]
[TD]461
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-277"]
[TD]18
[/TD]
[TD]West Virginia
[/TD]
[TD]2-0
[/TD]
[TD]419
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-239"]
[TD]19
[/TD]
[TD]Baylor
[/TD]
[TD]1-0
[/TD]
[TD]374
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-58"]
[TD]20
[/TD]
[TD]South Florida
[/TD]
[TD]2-0
[/TD]
[TD]347
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-2"]
[TD]21
[/TD]
[TD]Auburn
[/TD]
[TD]2-0
[/TD]
[TD]343
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-9"]
[TD]22
[/TD]
[TD]Arizona State
[/TD]
[TD]2-0
[/TD]
[TD]306
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-2628"]
[TD]23
[/TD]
[TD]TCU
[/TD]
[TD]1-1
[/TD]
[TD]166
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-23-251"]
[TD]24
[/TD]
[TD]Texas
[/TD]
[TD]2-0
[/TD]
[TD]153
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-23-344"]
[TD]25
[/TD]
[TD]Mississippi State
[/TD]
[TD]1-1
[/TD]
[TD]128
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
  • Dropped from rankings: Missouri 21, Penn State 23

#22 mikebatzel

mikebatzel

Dreadnaught

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 04:39 PM

I only got to watch one game this week, as I was in attendance at Beaver Stadium for Alabama and Penn State. Just a couple of reactions on that one. Alabama was going to win this game regardless of how well PSU played. That said, it should have been much closer if not for the atrocious play of both Bolden, and McGloin (combined 12 for 39 passing) and some bad play calling. I thought PSU’s defense did well until late in the game when the repeated three and outs by the offense wore them down. I also thought the refs were horrible with at one point (I think) three consecutive plays being reviewed and then overturned.

That said it was a fun day. Alabama travels very well and were able to make themselves heard. Most were rather respectful and pleasant to speak with, and represented the fan base well. I read on ESPN that the announced attendance of 107,000+ was the largest crowd any Alabama team has ever played in front of.

#23 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,671 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:28 AM

The way PSU started out, I was sure that the Crimson Tide was going to be in trouble.

I knew Coach Paterno had been there a LOOOOOOONNNGGGGG time. I thought he joined the staff in the sixties, not realizing that it was actually 1950! This I found interesting:

Paterno has been on Penn State's coaching staff for 691 of their 1,222 games, 56.5% of all games played by the program dating back to its inception in 1887

WOW

I have to say again that I hate to see the series end again. Coach Paterno and Nittany Lions are nothing but class.

Best Regards,  

SlidigitAxe.png

#24 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,671 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:09 AM

Well, The Crimson Tide handed the pigs from Arkansas their head on platter this afternoon.

I suspect that it will be a long ride back to Fayettehell tonight.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, I was unavailable last week, but it was good to see the barn falter, considering that they are giving up about 600 yds of offense each game.

Edited by Slipdigit, 03 October 2011 - 02:53 AM.
left out "they" in the last sentence

Best Regards,  

SlidigitAxe.png

#25 Slipdigit

Slipdigit

Good Ol' Boy

• Administrators
  • 14,671 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:52 AM

The Crimson Tide annihilated the Gators in the Swamp. It was not pretty, unless you are a Crimson Tide fan.

What about the rest of you? How did your team do?

Best Regards,  

SlidigitAxe.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users