Photo
- - - - -

Here is an interesting article on college football...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:52 PM

It's time to recognize that Division I college football is really a minor league professional sport and treat it like the pro game it is.

That means making drastic, fundamental changes that end college football's role as the National Football League's sole development agency and removing the nonstudent players from campus so America's universities can focus on their real mission: education.

Goto:

Cut the cord between college football and the NFL | McClatchy
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#2 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,098 posts
  • LocationThe Land of 10,000 Loons

Posted 09 September 2011 - 12:42 AM

I agree that this is a problem, but I am not so sanguine that it will ever be "fixed". There is too much money at stake for all who are involved: the NCAA, the schools, the coaches, the players, the sports media and the sponsors of all the bowl games. On top of that, the fans and alumni are also heavily invested in the status quo. I just don't see this changing anytime soon.

However, I do think that they could get rid of the pretense that all of the players are students. Let those who want to be student-athletes do that and those who just want to be athletes do that. Then the NCAA could worry about the athletics aspect of collegiate sports and not waste time trying to police academic "cheating".

Freedom is precious and many gave their lives for it. It is the duty of the future generation
to remember that sacrifice, and offer some sacrifice for themselves if Freedom is threatened.

Cecil Earl Workman, WWII Veteran, "L" Co., 129th Inf. Regt., 37th Inf. Div.

halvorsonpto129ir37id3.jpg

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

bannereto776tdv2.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#3 davidchatman

davidchatman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:22 AM

nice and interesting

0 user(s) are reading this topic