Photo
- - - - -

Even though Cliff Robertson served in the USMM,..

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 brndirt1

brndirt1

Saddle Tramp

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,709 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:31 PM

and not the regular services, he did so because of a weak eye which kept him from passing his physical. He then joined the Merchant Marine and served in spite of his eyesight. He is probably most famous to many here for his portrayal of JFK in the movie PT-109.

Robertson, who went on to win an Oscar for his portrayal of a mentally disabled man in "Charly", died of natural causes Saturday afternoon in Stony Brook, a day after his 88th birthday, according to Evelyn Christel, his secretary of 53 years.

Goto:

Cliff Robertson, who played JFK in 'PT-109,' dies - Yahoo! News

I remember reading an article about Jackie after the movie was released, she said the only thing she disliked about the movie was that now JFK walked around pretending to be Robertson.
  • gunbunnyb/3/75FA likes this
Happy Trails,
Clint.

#2 syscom3

syscom3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:48 PM

By coincidence, PT-109 was playing on the military channel this weekend. I hadn't seen that movie in a lot of years, and then I finally get to see it the same day Cliff dies.

#3 USMCPrice

USMCPrice

Idiot at Large

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts
  • LocationGod's Country

Posted 11 September 2011 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for the post Clint, I wasn't aware he had died. I liked both the movie and the actor. RIP Mr. Robertson.
"I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f**k with me, I'll kill you all."Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders
"Every Marine is, first and foremost, a rifleman. All other conditions are secondary."Gen. Alfred Gray, 29th Commandant of the Marine Corps

#4 George Patton

George Patton

Canadian Delegation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

I'm sad to hear of his passing. He was great in "The Devil's Brigade" (one of my all-time favourite Saturday night popcorn movies) and 633 Squadron. He also owned a Spitfire. I found this; its an interesting read: http://www.jerrybilling.com/Jerry Billing Spitfire's/History of Spitfire MK923.htm

Edited by George Patton, 11 September 2011 - 04:21 PM.

Best Regards,
Alan

#5 George Patton

George Patton

Canadian Delegation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 04:14 PM

Photos from his WW2 films:

PT109:
[img]http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/3x60L2dxYZC5GJBcfJKZ0A--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7aD00NzQ7cT04NTt3PTYwNA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/31c59b9670766914f80e6a70670003aa.jpg[/img]

The Devil's Brigade:
[img]http://www.imfdb.org/w/images/5/55/TDB_4.jpg[/img]

633 Squadron:
[img]http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTUzNTQ0MTIyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFyZXN1bWU@._V1._SX640_SY496_.jpg[/img]

Best Regards,
Alan

#6 A-58

A-58

Cool Dude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,566 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, Louisiana

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:08 PM

He's lucky. The casualty rate in the merchant marine was staggering, the highest among all services and branches. Not exactly a place for draft-dodgers and shirkers.

"On the Plains of Hesitation, lies the blackened bones of countless millions who,
at the dawn of victory sat down to rest, and resting died"....

(Adlai Stevenson to Harry Truman on discussing the pros and cons of dropping the big one, or so I'm told)

#7 USMCPrice

USMCPrice

Idiot at Large

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,808 posts
  • LocationGod's Country

Posted 11 September 2011 - 05:17 PM

He's lucky. The casualty rate in the merchant marine was staggering, the highest among all services and branches. Not exactly a place for draft-dodgers and shirkers.

Excellent point Bobby, I hadn't considered that but it is very true. And George Patton, I had forgotten about his appearance in the "Devils Brigade", another movie I liked and another good performance by the late Mr. Robertson.
"I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you f**k with me, I'll kill you all."Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders
"Every Marine is, first and foremost, a rifleman. All other conditions are secondary."Gen. Alfred Gray, 29th Commandant of the Marine Corps

#8 George Patton

George Patton

Canadian Delegation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:37 AM

I had forgotten about his appearance in the "Devils Brigade", another movie I liked and another good performance by the late Mr. Robertson.

The Devil's Brigade seems to be a movie a lot forget about, but I consider one of my all-time favorites. Like many WW2 films now, (with Mr. Robertson's passing) almost all of the cast have passed on.

Best Regards,
Alan

#9 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,244 posts
  • LocationThe Land of 10,000 Loons

Posted 13 September 2011 - 01:37 AM

A fine actor. He lived a full life of 88 years. Rest in peace.

Freedom is precious and many gave their lives for it. It is the duty of the future generation
to remember that sacrifice, and offer some sacrifice for themselves if Freedom is threatened.

Cecil Earl Workman, WWII Veteran, "L" Co., 129th Inf. Regt., 37th Inf. Div.

halvorsonpto129ir37id3.jpg

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

bannereto776tdv2.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#10 Jumpmastereast

Jumpmastereast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 10:46 PM

rest in peace

“American Parachutists…devil in baggy pants…are less than 100 meters away from my original lines. I can’t sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere.”

#11 namvet

namvet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:11 AM

I think that was the only movie made about a sitting prez. the only thing JFK didn't like was that Robertson parted his hair on the wrong side. so every effort was made to correct that. AMCTV runs a lot of these classic war movies

"There are no great men, there are only great challenges that ordinary men are forced by circumstances to meet."- ADM William F. Halsey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users