We Need Your Help - Become a Site Supporter

For 16 years we've been delivering WWII discussion and research, help support our efforts for the next 16 years. Become a WW2 Forums Patron!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Individual Deceased Personnel File

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 kerrd5

kerrd5

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:31 PM

I went out to my mailbox 45 minutes ago to pick up yesterday’s mail where I found a CD mailer from the U.S. Army Human Resources Command.

I suspected it must have been the IDPF I requested and it was.

The CD contains the IDPF for PFC Arka R. Gibson, the only other B Company, 63rd Infantry Regiment, 6th Infantry Division, man besides my Uncle Tim
who was KIA on 18 January 1945. It appears he died of a shell wound to the chest.

I must say I am pleased to receive a CD with a pdf. It is obviously cheaper for the Army to scan the documents and burn a CD than to copy and mail 57 pages.

I was surprised, though, that this came from Fort Knox and not Alexandria.
I did not know that HRC had moved to KY. Now I know that it was the result of the BRAC.

https://www.hrc.army...dia/default.asp

Here is a revised sample letter to request one:

U.S. Army Human Resources Command
ATTN: FOIA Office
1600 Spearhead Division Avenue
Fort Knox, KY 40122

Dear Sirs,

IAW with the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), I should like to request a copy of the Individual Deceased Personnel File for my uncle, John Smith, who died in World War II.

Below is his personal information:

- NAME: John Smith
- ASN:
- UNIT:
- DATE OF DEATH:

I realize that this will take some time, and I will be patient. Naturally, I am prepared to pay any costs necessary for the production and mailing of the file.

Dave

Edited by Otto, 26 July 2013 - 06:34 PM.
repaired formatting.

• mccann2nd likes this

#2 syscom3

syscom3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:31 PM

What else does the file contain? Could you post it for us to see (minus personal info)?

#3 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts
  • LocationThe Land of 10,000 Loons

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:16 AM

And how long did it take for you to receive it? I sent away for an IDPF about a month ago. I'd just like to know when I can start feeling anxious about it showing up.

Freedom is precious and many gave their lives for it. It is the duty of the future generation
to remember that sacrifice, and offer some sacrifice for themselves if Freedom is threatened.

Cecil Earl Workman, WWII Veteran, "L" Co., 129th Inf. Regt., 37th Inf. Div.

Halvorson_PTO129IR-37ID2.jpg

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

BudETO776TD.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#4 kerrd5

kerrd5

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:14 AM

And how long did it take for you to receive it? I sent away for an IDPF about a month ago. I'd just like to know when I can start feeling anxious about it showing up.

I requested it in late May.

Dave

#5 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:18 PM

I requested it in late May.

Yikes! :eek:

I was prepared to give you a "like", but that I didn't like to hear. (I know. Don't blame the messenger. ;) )

Freedom is precious and many gave their lives for it. It is the duty of the future generation
to remember that sacrifice, and offer some sacrifice for themselves if Freedom is threatened.

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

BudETO776TD.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#6 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 12:46 AM

I just got an email from the "Human Resources Center of Excellence" (phew! I was worried it would come from the HRC of Ineptitude) in Ft. Knox, KY acknowledging receipt of my IDPF request. Here's a portion of the email that may be of interest:

Because of the number of requests we receive, it may take up to sixteen (16) weeks to process and release records to you. The IDPF you seek are not physically maintained at this facility and must be located, retrieved, and shipped to us from our storage facility in Suitland, Maryland. The records are then copied and sent to the mailing address you provided.

To help reduce our processing, reproduction, and postal costs, it would be helpful if you provide us your electronic address. We may be able to send the file to you by E-mail or on a CD-ROM...

Also, we have determined your request falls into the FOIA fee category of “All Others,” which affords you the first two hours of search time and the first 100 pages at no cost. Although our agency rules allow us to charge fifteen cents per page when the record is more than 100 pages, we rarely charge a fee unless the file is unusually large and/or difficult to reproduce.

Emphasis added.

So, now the long, slow wait begins.

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

BudETO776TD.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#7 kerrd5

kerrd5

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:56 PM

So the HRC sent you an email asking for your email address?

You gotta love those Federal employees.

Dave

#8 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:20 PM

So the HRC sent you an email asking for your email address?

You gotta love those Federal employees.

Dave

Yes, I got a chuckle out of that myself. Then it occurred to me that they probably used a form letter that was intended to be mailed, so I decided to give them a little slack.

Hey, Dave, have you had a chance to go through the IDPF you received back in September? It would be interesting to know what kinds of documents it contained.

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

BudETO776TD.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#9 kerrd5

kerrd5

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 02:12 PM

Tom,

Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you the file when I get back to Carlisle
next week.

Dave

#10 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:26 PM

Incoming... ;)

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

BudETO776TD.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#11 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:14 AM

I got a call and a couple emails earlier today. One gave instructions on how to download my great uncle's IDPF, which I did a short while ago. I have only scanned through it thus far, but it looks like it was worth the effort and wait.

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

BudETO776TD.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#12 Lanman61

Lanman61

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

To anyone who can answer: Are these files being requested ONLY for those who were killed in action or are they available for those who survived and have died at a later date? Also, are they only for certain specialties or is this seperate from NPRC in St Louis? Records requested from NPRC have apparently been destroyed in the '73 fire for both my father (ETO) and mother (PTO) and trying to piece together info is much like looking for a winning lottory ticket. ;-)

Thanks!

John

#13 693FA

693FA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:38 AM

Lanman,
Just those KIA/MIA/POW and are separate from NPRC in St. Louis. see link for additional info.
Korean War Educator: Casualty Information - Individual Deceased Personnel Files
Regards,
Clint

#14 mjmikelson

mjmikelson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

I wonder how these records will differ from what we find in Missing Aircrew Reports, for those who were in the AAF during WWII? They might tell info about disposition of personal items and the like, but I would doubt they'd have more info than what the MACR would proived. Has anyone out there given that a go?

Thanks!

Michael

#15 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

Michael, I haven't seen a MACR, so I can't offer a comparison. However, I did receive an IDPF for my great uncle (see above) and have had the opportunity to see other IDPFs. At a minimum, it contains the records of how the deceased soldier and his personal effects were handled. However, it is not unusual for an IDPF to contain some other information as well. In the case of my great uncle's file, it contained there was actually quite a bit of interesting information, which I won't mention in detail here. Though, I will say that it did indicate in which part of his body he was mortally wounded. I should add that his IDPF also raised some questions, too. More research to do!

There is no guarantee that anything substantial will be gleaned from a given IDPF. However, one is no worse off than they would be had they not requested it. So my recommendation is to roll the dice and see what happens.

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

BudETO776TD.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#16 693FA

693FA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:50 AM

There is no guarantee that anything substantial will be gleaned from a given IDPF. However, one is no worse off than they would be had they not requested it. So my recommendation is to roll the dice and see what happens.

Have to echo TD's statement here and say roll the dice....I too recently received an IDPF for my great uncle hoping for the mother load and got the minimum....copies of correspondence to his father and wife, what personal effects etc were sent back and so forth. Not allot but glad I did it anyway!
Regards,
Clint

#17 Clementine

Clementine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

Does the IDPF contain information about where the person was buried? Or does anyone have any idea where to get that information?

Proud Daughter of a WWII Veteran, 608 Engineer Light Equipment Company  

#18 36thID

36thID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

Hi Clem,

Yes it does. With my uncle, his remains where moved 3 times and each time was well documented.

#19 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

That was also the case with Glenn's IDPF. He was also moved 3 times (déja vu). It documented the cemetery name, as well as the name, ASN & unit of those buried on either side of him. I'm not sure if this is normal, but in my case, I was not charged a dime to get the IDPF. So, since it only cost me a little time to fill out the form and the price of a stamp, I think I got a pretty good deal.

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

BudETO776TD.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#20 Clementine

Clementine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

Oh, good. I sent in a request for the IDPF for the man in Dad's unit that was killed. His family said they don't even know where he is buried, (I applied before I found them, or I would have left it up to them.) I know it was a different day and that there wasn't instant communication, but that just bothers me. I was wondering how to find out where he is buried, and I'd even like to arrange to have something put on the grave, if we can find it and arrange it.

I received a letter saying my request was received and that it would take a few weeks, so hopefully there is something on file and I will receive it soon.

Thanks!

#21 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

Oh, good. I sent in a request for the IDPF for the man in Dad's unit that was killed. His family said they don't even know where he is buried, (I applied before I found them, or I would have left it up to them.) I know it was a different day and that there wasn't instant communication, but that just bothers me. I was wondering how to find out where he is buried, and I'd even like to arrange to have something put on the grave, if we can find it and arrange it.

I received a letter saying my request was received and that it would take a few weeks, so hopefully there is something on file and I will receive it soon.

Thanks!

Clementine, have you tried doing a search on the American Battle Monuments Commission website?

As for length of time to get an IDPF, I waited a total of 4 months which I believe is typical.

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

BudETO776TD.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#22 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:49 AM

Okay. Never mind, Clementine. I found his name in your 608th thread and got nothing. Then it dawned on me that he wasn't buried overseas, they just don't know where he was buried in the USA. The IDPF may not tell you what cemetery he was buried in, but it will likely tell you who received his remains. This will probably be a funeral home in or near his home town. If you know his home town, you could try the local newspaper or historical society. If it's a small town, his death would have been a prominent story in the news at the time. I hope that helps.

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

BudETO776TD.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#23 36thID

36thID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:54 AM

In this file I got copies of all letters exchanged between my grandpa and grandma. The last contained the final details of how, when, and where he was laid to rest. I hope this points to where this hero was laid to rest.

#24 Clementine

Clementine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

Okay. Never mind, Clementine. I found his name in your 608th thread and got nothing. Then it dawned on me that he wasn't buried overseas, they just don't know where he was buried in the USA. The IDPF may not tell you what cemetery he was buried in, but it will likely tell you who received his remains. This will probably be a funeral home in or near his home town. If you know his home town, you could try the local newspaper or historical society. If it's a small town, his death would have been a prominent story in the news at the time. I hope that helps.

His family said he was buried in Europe, but don't know where. Actually, his nephew told me that, maybe he just never tried to find out and assumed he was buried in Europe. But they are from a small community near Boston, and the young man's mother and father are buried in the local cemetery, so I am sure they would have buried him there if they'd brought him home. I would think the nephew would know if his uncle were buried in the local cemetery, but who knows. I will ask Wallace's sister and see what she says.

Thanks.

Edited by Clementine, 27 April 2012 - 07:18 PM.
persnickety grammar

#25 LRusso216

LRusso216

Graybeard

• ModeratorsOKF Moderator
  • 12,327 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:21 PM

Clem, try this site for burial in the US. Nationwide Gravesite Locator Hope it helps.

Posted Image

Lou

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users