We Need Your Help - Become a Site Supporter

For 16 years we've been delivering WWII discussion and research, help support our efforts for the next 16 years. Become a WW2 Forums Patron!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Individual Deceased Personnel File

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#26 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts
  • LocationThe Land of 10,000 Loons

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

His family said he was buried in Europe, but don't know where. Actually, his nephew told me that, maybe he just never tried to find out and assumed he was buried in Europe. But they are from a small community near Boston, and the young man's mother and father are buried in the local cemetery, so I am sure they would have buried him there if they'd brought him home. I would think the nephew would know if his uncle were buried in the local cemetery, but who knows. I will ask Wallace's sister and see what she says.

Thanks.

I did a couple of searches and found some indication that he was born in Vermont, possibly Sherman. I tried searching for that town name but came up with nothing. Either it is so small as to not be on the radar screen, or it doesn't exist anymore. On the other hand, I did find him on the NARA casualty list for Worcester County, MA.

Freedom is precious and many gave their lives for it. It is the duty of the future generation
to remember that sacrifice, and offer some sacrifice for themselves if Freedom is threatened.

Cecil Earl Workman, WWII Veteran, "L" Co., 129th Inf. Regt., 37th Inf. Div.

Halvorson_PTO129IR-37ID2.jpg

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

BudETO776TD.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#27 Clementine

Clementine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:41 AM

That is him. I found him on the casualty list, as well, he was born in Vermont but his family moved to Athol, MA when he was very young. I contacted his local library genealogy department and they are the ones who put me in contact with his family - his namesake, as a matter of fact. The family still lives there and that is where his parents are and a number of his siblings (he had 11 siblings, two are living) are buried.

Proud Daughter of a WWII Veteran, 608 Engineer Light Equipment Company  

#28 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:03 AM

It does seem that the IDPF may be your best bet for locating where he was buried, Clementine. Though, I have found that just getting the family to start talking about it sometimes yields results. That's how I got a couple of pre-War photos of my great uncles.

Freedom is precious and many gave their lives for it. It is the duty of the future generation
to remember that sacrifice, and offer some sacrifice for themselves if Freedom is threatened.

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

BudETO776TD.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#29 Earthican

Earthican

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

I went out to my mailbox 45 minutes ago to pick up yesterday’s
mail where I found a CD mailer from the U.S. Army Human Resources
Command.

I suspected it must have been the IDPF I requested and it was.

The CD contains the IDPF for PFC Arka R. Gibson, the only other B Company,
63rd Infantry Regiment, 6th Infantry Division, man besides my Uncle Tim
who was KIA on 18 January 1945. It appears he died of a shell wound to the chest.

I must say I am pleased to receive a CD with a pdf.
It is obviously cheaper for the Army to scan the documents and burn
a CD than to copy and mail 57 pages.

I was surprised, though, that this came from Fort Knox and not Alexandria.
I did not know that HRC had moved to KY. Now I know that it was the result of the BRAC.

https://www.hrc.army...dia/default.asp

Here is a revised sample letter to request one:

U.S. Army Human Resources Command
ATTN: FOIA Office
1600 Spearhead Division Avenue
Fort Knox, KY 40122

Dear Sirs,

IAW with the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), I should like to
request a copy of the Individual Deceased Personnel File for my
uncle, John Smith, who died in World War II.

Below is his personal information:

- NAME: John Smith
- ASN:
- UNIT:
- DATE OF DEATH:

I realize that this will take some time, and I will be patient.
Naturally, I am prepared to pay any costs necessary for the
production and mailing of the file.

Dave

Just reviewed an IDPF here:
(PDF link near the bottom)
http://home.comcast....cis_F_Lazorick/

If one does not mind a little sadness, it is worth reviewing the settlement of affairs required by the next of kin.

• TD-Tommy776 likes this

#30 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for sharing that, E.

And thanks for the subtle updating of this thread.  ;)

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

BudETO776TD.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#31 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

I finally got a chance to read through the IDPF and some of the letters on the website that Earthican posted. It's interesting to see how the military's account of SSgt Lazorick's death varies from that related by his Army buddy. The author of the website (Paul K?) suggests that the buddy was being kind. That may be, but the rest of his letter dated 22 Aug 1946 gave some rather brutal accounts of how his other buddies were killed.  Also, his story doesn't seem to fit with Frank being considered MIA for a month. I wonder if he was just confused about what happened and maybe mixed up Frank's demise with that of another friend.

As E. said, it is a sad tale, though I'm sure every IDPF has a sad story to tell. However, they also can provide information for those doing WWII research that may otherwise be difficult or expensive to find.

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

BudETO776TD.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#32 Clementine

Clementine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:27 AM

I just read through the information on SSgt Lazorick, including his letters. That's what really gets me, so see that personal touch, the writing, and to read the personal thoughts and feelings.

The website author said he didn't know why he was obsessed with finding out about his great-uncle, SSgt Lazorick, but he felt like he shouldn't be forgotten. And he's so right.

I veered off the course I was on when I looked up this thread, but I'm glad I did. Thanks for posting, Earthican.

I have a question and hoped someone would know. I've been searching through the NARA, but haven't been able to find what I need.

I'd like to file for an IDPF (or equivalent) for someone who served in the Navy. When I did a simple internet search for IDPF and deceased Navy personnel, it came up with the contact information listed above, but I assume that is just Army files.

Does anyone know about Navy files? (The person I'm looking for was a POW and died in captivity, if that makes a difference. I found files listing my person's name, SN and the date and location of his death, but not any kind of information on requesting his file.)

#33 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:31 PM

That's a very good question, Clem. Naval records are not my strong suit, so maybe somebody else will be more helpful.

I did find a few links that you may have already checked:

NARA: Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel

Navy Personnel: A Research Guide

There are also some Navy records on Fold3.com

WWII Prisoners of War Data File

DPMO: Service Personnel Not Recovered Following WWII

POW Research Links

Edited by TD-Tommy776, 24 July 2013 - 11:40 PM.

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

BudETO776TD.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#34 Clementine

Clementine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:46 AM

Wow - I feel like such a slacker when I see what you've come up with. I did find a couple of those links but certainly not all. I will check them out.

Thanks, Tommy!

#35 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:21 AM

I didn't have enough time last night to check out all the links on the various websites, so I hope at least some of them are helpful.

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

BudETO776TD.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#36 Clementine

Clementine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

I just looked at them briefly but won't have time to look at them in depth myself until the weekend. I will share any information I might find to help the next person.

I appreciate your help.

#37 mcoffee

mcoffee

Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

The Human Resources Command is now uploading scanned IDPFs to a secure server rather than mailing them on a CD.

I made a FOIA request for an IDPF on 11/19, received an acknowledgement on 12/2 (with a statment that it could take up to 48 weeks) and received notification that the IDPF was available for download on 12/4. The IDPF relates to the thread below, and I had been working with a contact at the Past Conflicts Repatriation Branch which may account for the quick turn-around.

http://www.ww2f.com/...tic-identified/
Illegitimis non carborundum

#38 kerrd5

kerrd5

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:27 AM

By coincidence, the HRC informed me yesterday that the IDPF I requested in early Feb. was available

To mcoffee, the HRC has been transmitting the files through a secure server for over a year now.

Dave

#39 Earthican

Earthican

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

I went out to my mailbox 45 minutes ago to pick up yesterday’s mail where I found a CD mailer from the U.S. Army Human Resources Command.

I suspected it must have been the IDPF I requested and it was.

The CD contains the IDPF for PFC Arka R. Gibson, the only other B Company, 63rd Infantry Regiment, 6th Infantry Division, man besides my Uncle Tim
who was KIA on 18 January 1945. It appears he died of a shell wound to the chest.

I must say I am pleased to receive a CD with a pdf. It is obviously cheaper for the Army to scan the documents and burn a CD than to copy and mail 57 pages.

I was surprised, though, that this came from Fort Knox and not Alexandria.
I did not know that HRC had moved to KY. Now I know that it was the result of the BRAC.

https://www.hrc.army...dia/default.asp

Here is a revised sample letter to request one:

U.S. Army Human Resources Command
ATTN: FOIA Office
1600 Spearhead Division Avenue
Fort Knox, KY 40122

Dear Sirs,

IAW with the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), I should like to request a copy of the Individual Deceased Personnel File for my uncle, John Smith, who died in World War II.

Below is his personal information:

- NAME: John Smith
- ASN:
- UNIT:
- DATE OF DEATH:

I realize that this will take some time, and I will be patient. Naturally, I am prepared to pay any costs necessary for the production and mailing of the file.

Dave

IDPF contact info updated

https://www.hrc.army...cy Act Requests

Requests for Individual Deceased Personnel files  (IDPFs):

This Command is the records custodian for IDPF’s from WWII through current conflicts.  Please submit requests to:                           USARMY.KNOX.HRC.MBX.FOIA@MAIL.MIL

Department of the Army

US Army Human Resources Command

ATTN:  AHRC-FOIA

1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 107

Fort Knox  KY  40122-5743

• TD-Tommy776 likes this

#40 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:18 AM

I sent an IDPF request using the above email address over 2 weeks ago and have received no acknowledgement that it was received. I'm sure they are busy, but I think 2+ weeks to acknowledge an email is a bit silly.  I sent a follow up email requesting some acknowledgement. I think I may send a request snail mail if I don't hear something by the end of the week.

Has anyone else received a response after submitting a request via the new email address?  

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

BudETO776TD.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#41 mcoffee

mcoffee

Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

I sent a request last November for an IDPF involving an active investigation we were communicating with DPMO/JPAC about, as well as the Past Conflicts Repatriation folks.  I received the standard reply within a few days and received the IDPF in a couple of weeks - but only because they had pulled and scanned it for their own use in the investigation.  I sent a subsequent request for IDPFs not related to that investigation in December and haven't received even an acknowledgement of receipt.

Illegitimis non carborundum

#42 Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez

Ace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

It is pleasing to me to see Clementine and others work so hard at searching for the stories of our veterans who have served so that they may not be forgotten and that their sacrifices will be appreciated for all of time.

#43 buk2112

buk2112

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:25 AM

I sent an IDPF request using the above email address over 2 weeks ago and have received no acknowledgement that it was received. I'm sure they are busy, but I think 2+ weeks to acknowledge an email is a bit silly.  I sent a follow up email requesting some acknowledgement. I think I may send a request snail mail if I don't hear something by the end of the week.

Has anyone else received a response after submitting a request via the new email address?  

I made a request for an IDPF in JAN 2013 and received an acknowledgement email  about a month later. It wasn't until NOV that I was emailed with instructions and a one time only password for downloading the file. I made another request in DEC 2013 and have never gotten any acknowledgement at all. I sent a polite message JUN 10th asking if my request had been received and so far no reply to that either. I think I'm doing my best to be patient, but it is nonsense to get no response at all from them.

"The Damned Engineers!" :headbash:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#44 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:41 AM

I made a request for an IDPF in JAN 2013 and received an acknowledgement email  about a month later. It wasn't until NOV that I was emailed with instructions and a one time only password for downloading the file. I made another request in DEC 2013 and have never gotten any acknowledgement at all. I sent a polite message JUN 10th asking if my request had been received and so far no reply to that either. I think I'm doing my best to be patient, but it is nonsense to get no response at all from them.

Well, at least I'm not alone in this.  I can understand if they are swamped with requests or have insufficient staff or both. However, there is such a thing as auto-reply with emails.  Ah, well. I suppose I'll have to presume they did receive my request an hope for the best.

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

BudETO776TD.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#45 sllily

sllily

Conscript

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:48 AM

I'm looking for any info on my great uncle, Henry J. Tischler.  He was in Company H of the 180 Infantry Regiment, and was KIA September 8, 1944 in France.  His service # is 37477293.

#46 ggent001

ggent001

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:14 PM

Just a quick note on the WWII I.D.P.F.'s: The WWII I.D.P.F.’s for men with last names A-L are no longer at Fort Knox. These records have been transferred to the National Archives and can be accessed much faster than before. The WWII I.D.P.F.’s for men with last names A-L were previously being examined by an agency tasked with locating the remains of missing Army and Air Corps veterans. Now that their work is completed, the WWII I.D.P.F.’s have been transferred to the National Archives and are now accessible to the public without the frustrating year-long wait. I recommend using a reputable research company to access your veteran’s WWII I.D.P.F. since you will be able to get your veteran’s I.D.P.F. within days rather than months, and you will also be able to have digital scans of the original paperwork in the I.D.P.F. (rather than photocopies you will received from the archives). If you are interested in viewing examples of WWII I.D.P.F.’s to gain a better idea of what kinds of paperwork are commonly found in the file you can view a number of examples here: http://www.goldenarr...sonnel-file.php

Take care,

Geoff

#47 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:55 PM

I'm looking for any info on my great uncle, Henry J. Tischler.  He was in Company H of the 180 Infantry Regiment, and was KIA September 8, 1944 in France.  His service # is 37477293.

I'm not sure how I missed your post 9 months ago, but better late than never.  You may want to download the history of the 180th Infantry Regiment from the Bangor Library website.  It should tell you where Company H (or at least the 2nd Battalion) was and what they were doing on 8 Sep 1944.  Most regimental histories have a listing of those killed during the war, so his name will likely appear there at the very least.

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

BudETO776TD.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

#48 TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776

Man of Constant Sorrow

• TrusteeOKF Trustee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:30 PM

Just a quick note on the WWII I.D.P.F.'s: The WWII I.D.P.F.’s for men with last names A-L are no longer at Fort Knox. These records have been transferred to the National Archives and can be accessed much faster than before. The WWII I.D.P.F.’s for men with last names A-L were previously being examined by an agency tasked with locating the remains of missing Army and Air Corps veterans. Now that their work is completed, the WWII I.D.P.F.’s have been transferred to the National Archives and are now accessible to the public without the frustrating year-long wait. I recommend using a reputable research company to access your veteran’s WWII I.D.P.F. since you will be able to get your veteran’s I.D.P.F. within days rather than months, and you will also be able to have digital scans of the original paperwork in the I.D.P.F. (rather than photocopies you will received from the archives). If you are interested in viewing examples of WWII I.D.P.F.’s to gain a better idea of what kinds of paperwork are commonly found in the file you can view a number of examples here: http://www.goldenarr...sonnel-file.php

Take care,

Geoff

Thank you for the update, Geoff.  As someone who has suffered through a couple of those "year-long waits", that's good news.  It's also good for folks to know that there is a faster option than the National Archives for acquiring these files.  I looked through a couple of the examples on your website and they are very similar to what I have received via the NARA in terms of content.  Both are readable, but your scans are better in quality to be sure.  Although, I'm sure for many the significantly shorter delivery time will be worth the very reasonable fee.

By the way, Geoff, feel free to add a link to your website in the signature line of your posts.

PFC Glenn W. Halvorson

BudETO776TD.png

PFC Norman L. Halvorson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users