Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

NFL 2011

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Gromit801, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

Ok, six games into the season and no thread started? Time to change that.

How about them Niners! What a difference a competent coach makes!

2. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

I'm guessing no one talks the NFL in here because maybe their teams are not doing so well?

3. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I think few talk NFL since we are a global forum, I personally love the NFL (with some restrictions) as a sport to be enjoyed as a spectator. When I played as a young man high school and college in the sixties the rules were different, and the NFL was like what we see today as UFC or some damn thing. Do you remember "Night Train" Lane? His tackles were nasty, but no concussions from them. No spinal cord injuries, now-a-days the improvement of equipment has made the players display more recklessness in my opinion.

When men went out there and played with leather helmets, the hits were NOT to the other guys head. They were as vulnerable as their opponents. Players today are so HUGE and FAST that the impacts they can deliver have to be considered and protected from, but this seems a self-fulfilling cycle of bigger and faster players who can both inflict, but perhaps not sustain the impact force of the game.

As a side-note, I have a couple of favorite NFL teams. Sadly they are emotional and other reasons other than wishing to be attached to them as "winners". Today, I like to follow the the AFC KC Chiefs, and in the NFC the Minnesota Vikings. The Chiefs because of J. Stenerude a member of my own MSU Alma mater, and their giving great "old guys" another chance to shine.

The Vikings, mostly because of Fran Tarkington. I actually met him once in my youth and was blown away by his openness and "humility". Mr. Tarkington was a man of integrity, and apparently played "for the love of the game", not the money alone.

On the Dallas Cowboys; since "Hollywood" Henderson declared them America's team, I have always been in favor or whomever they played. I wish them nothing but ill. Since Jimmy Johnson coached them out of the "drought", and left, my wishes have been fulfilled.

4. gunbunnyb/3/75FA

gunbunnyb/3/75FA Member

when i first discovered football, i have to admit i liked the viks, but i was only 7,hehe, but,HOW ABOUT THEM CHIEFS!!!

5. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

The Tebow comeback was epic...Terrel Owens is the next propofanol death?...Detroit...Miami...Colts... What's not to like?

6. 693FA

693FA Member

What Tebow comeback???? are we on the same planet????? Lions destroyed the Broncos and I'm not even a Broncos/Lions fan! Clint has one thing right the game has changed! Players in the past hit hard and played hard, now some almost play dirty and so we are stuck with these constant "defenseless player" personal foul calls...I mean is this football or flag football?
    T.O. is a has been, burned to many bridges unless some team gets desperate.

7. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

It's nice to know I'm not the only Vikings fan on the forum! :D

Hey, Clint. Jan Stenerud also played for the Vikes in the brutal years of 1984-1985. I'm sure he'd prefer to forget about it, though. I've always been a fan of Fran, though I hear he doesn't have much time for the Vikes anymore. Not sure what the problem is. Maybe he thinks he's been disrespected. At any rate, players back in his day had to play for the love of the game. They didn't make the kind of money today's players make. ;)

GB, I suppose you jumped on the Chiefs bandwagon after Super Bowl IV. Ha, ha. Congrats on the nice overtime win against the Bolts.

gunbunnyb/3/75FA likes this.
  8. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Bring back the "purple people eaters"....You'd have to be from Mars not to know: Tebow's 15 point comeback against Miami.

9. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I'm an Eagles fan and always have been. It's nice to see them roast the Cowboys, but my second favorite team is anyone who plays the 'boys. I echo Clint in my dislike for them. There is too much head-hunting in the NFL and not enough good tackling.

10. gunbunnyb/3/75FA

gunbunnyb/3/75FA Member

the ONLY cowboy i liked was Roger Staubach period

11. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

I like the Cowgirls. Heifers if you will. With long eyelashes and big dark eyes. And the teets- oh lord.

12. belasar

belasar Court Jester

Thank god they added the ignore fuction here after all those mean spirited comments about Dallas! But I will be the bigger man here and forgive you all for it anyway.
    :D

13. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I've never had to hate the Cowboys. Being a Vikings fan, that is reserved for Green Bay. :yuck: The one thing that has always bothered me is the "America's Team" moniker. It's just a bit presumptuous.

And, yes, I am still bitter over the Herschel Walker trade. Mike Lynn was an idiot. :mad:

14. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

Harbaugh lit some kind of crazy fire under the Niners. 6-1? Good grief.

15. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

Sorry the Vikes lost to the Packers, I was really hoping the Vikes would knock GB off their pedestal.

16. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Packers are 11-0 and beating NY 28-27 in the 4th qtr. Great game.

17. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Dallas and the Giants lose on the same day. Priceless.

18. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

I was also pretty happy that not only did Dallas lose, so did my other least favorite team; the Raiders! I was also somewhat surprised that lowly KC could beat the Bears at home. Kyle Orton only got in one play before he was injured, but it must have been sweet revenge to come back to Chicago and be on the team that beat the one which traded him.

19. 693FA

693FA Member

Saints looked pretty good again last night.....anybody think they'll beat the Pack when it counts later this season?

20. Gromit801

Gromit801 Member

Still hoping for someone to knock the Pack off their season. Very happy to see the Niners clinched their division yesterday.