Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

Why my dad is a Cardinals fan

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Clementine, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Clementine

Clementine Member

My father is a farm boy from the hills of Kentucky. Learned how to play baseball but never paid much attention to the Big Leagues while he was growing up.

In October of 1944 my father was a young soldier on leave in Paris. He was going into a "beer joint" as he calls them and bumped into a guy he knew. The guy said he'd bet my dad $5 the Browns would beat the Cardinals in the World Series. Dad didn't much care one way or the other but he said his leave was almost over and he wouldn't have anywhere to spend his money when he went back so he figured, why not?

Well, the Cardinals beat the Browns and a lifelong Cardinals fan was born. Dad's pretty pleased to see them make it to the World Series again this year.

So I hope they win this one for my dad!

2. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I hope he enjoys the Series !
    I on the other hand have to put up with a cousin telling me his Son is taking him to Game Two tomorrow night !! Right-Center field seats.

3. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Being a few hundred yards from St. Louis County colors my perceptions a bit, but that's nothing new. I was born in Missouri, in 1951, and my mother demanded a color TV set to watch the Cards play in the 1967 series. (First ball over the plate in game one went over the fence.)

4. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Attached Files:

5. Biak

Hope your Dad is enjoying the show tonight!! I'm thinking about starting a thread of "Why I hate My Cousin"! I found out he is sitting in the Coca-Cola Scoreboard Patio.

6. Clementine

Clementine Member

Right up until the 9th inning! :(

Too bad your cousin didn't have a sign that said, "I am Biak's cousin." Then I could have identified him.

(The one problem with that thread might be that everyone would join in with their "Why I Hate My Cousin" stories and then it would degenerate into a confession of dysfunctional family stories. It could get ugly.)

7. Biak

Oh yeah! Especially since I had just given him my TaylorMade "Burner Bubble" Driver and this is how he repays me! Actually he isn't that bad a guy. He always seems to fit me in for a day of fishing when we're "back Home" where he; 'guides' me, provides the boat, bait, rods and reels, finds the fish, Cleans the fish, wraps the fish and on occasion even has fried up a batch for Supper.
    At least it was an exciting game at the end!

8. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I saw them in St Louis in 1987 , this is just before they moved to Phoenix I believe. I remember Johny Tudor , I still have their vintage 1987 T-shirt from St Louis as a relic.

9. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

Aren't you confusing the St.Louis Cardinals baseball team with the Phoenix Arizona NFL team of the same name? Those NFL Arizona Cardinals are really well traveled, they started in Chicago, moved to St. Louis for a long run and then to Arizona.

The baseball team remains in St. Louis.

10. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Yes, I mean the baseball team. Didn't know there was a NFL team with the same name. My mistake, for us Europeans it's all the same. :D

11. Clementine

Clementine Member

Yep, our baseball Cardinals are still in St. Louis.

(Which is an easy drive for me. I'm just sayin,' Biak, you know, in case your cousin has tickets to any more of the games and needs someone to go with him!)

And I could have done with just a little less excitement, thank you very much!

Biak likes this.
  12. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Actually I also saw the football team while they were still in St Louis, I even have pics of the game

13. Biak

Sorry Clem but I think it was a one-time deal for the cousin. Although one never knows. He must be sulking because I haven't heard from him since. I'll call him tomorrow and get the 'low-down' on the game from his perspective. I'll also let him know about you being available. Umm, maybe I'll word it a little differently.

Clementine likes this.
  14. Clementine

Clementine Member

Yes, thank you. You could tell him I'm desperate (to see the Cardinals in the World Series), but somehow that doesn't sound right either.

15. Biak

I'll be sure to tell him you're desperate AND available ! Better change the subject; So.......,
    How about those Cardinals eh'? Expecting to see Pujols smack a couple of homers tomorrow as redemption.

16. gunbunnyb/3/75FA

gunbunnyb/3/75FA Member

as im just out side joplin, i have to admit i prefer the royals lol! but hey i'll take the cards over anyone else, hehe.

17. Colonel FOG

Colonel FOG Member

Side note: Baseball is the only popular American sport on TV in Taiwan. (Gad, I miss FOOTBALL!)
    Maybe Clementine would like to come on over to Taiwan to view a live game at the stadium near my home... it's a whole lot of fun.
    I'm sure I can find a respectable unmarried gentleman to assist her in solving her "available and desperate" issues... with some good seats, that is.
    I'll just circulate her pic, and they'll be taking numbers and standing in line when she arrives at the airport. haha

Clem, what's your favorite position? Uh... playerwise, I mean! :D

18. 36thID

36thID Member

It is so good to see I'm in good company with other Cardinal Fans ! BTW, that makes you some of the best Fans in baseball.

Side note, my uncle that was KIA in WW2 and his brother were scouted and the Cards tried to sign them in 1939. They both stayed working on the local farms because they made more money than signing. Timing Is Everything !!

19. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

[​IMG]

20. Biak

It's 9:34pm and it is not what I'd call "less exciting".

edit@ 9:43 it jumped another notch ! Pujols did what I expected. Once.

edit@10:14 What I'd tell ya' Clem !! :) Pujols did what I expected. Twice.

edit@ 11:02 Oh now this is getting ridiculous! Pujols did what I didn't expect! Three times ? !!

Boring!