Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

I love the Zeltbahn 31.......

Discussion in 'Uniforms, Personal Gear (Kit) and Accessories' started by Martin Bull, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

[​IMG]

After getting my first one at a militaria fair in France a year ago, I've gradually acquired a couple more. As someone on another Forum puts it, 'they're all the same, and yet they're all different !'. The variations of manufacturer, colour, and year can make them rather addictive.

Really, I have no hope of acquiring any genuine WWII Wehrmacht uniform ( just too much stuff is faked, or horrifically expensive ). But Zeltbahns are still quite easy to find ( although prices are creeping up ). I'm not too fussy - none of mine are 'mint' but I've become quite handy with needle and thread ( and spare buttons are no problem ). And if you find a really dirty one, they clean up very nicely indeed.

It's an amazing piece of kit : quite beautifully designed and made with numerous applications -you can see them in so many WWII photos from the invasion of Poland to the Bulge. The cloth is incredibly durable and can survive 70 years in surprisingly good condition. But above all, the camouflage has that very :cool: 'Wehrmacht' look.....

[​IMG]

I love them ! :)

2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

He , stop coming to our fairs and buy all the goodies, don't you have the 24 heures du Mans to watch instead ? :D
    I love the M-31 one too, they are still afordable here (about 45-65 euros piece). I think I like them most when they are folded on a tornister. They look even better when they do'nt show everything. (hmm haven't I heard that about something else? ):cool:

3. Martin Bull

Actually, only the first was 'stolen' from France....my others have come via judicious bidding on Deutsch e-bay.....:eek:

4. jagdpanther44

jagdpanther44 Battlefield wanderer

Like most German kit (including modern day), the Zeltbahn is an ingenious design. It can be used in a multitude of configurations.

I've found this website to be most informative. It's where I first learned how to fold mine the correct way.
    Zeltbahn.net - German and related camouflage

5. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Well, you're half forgiven then. Next time I will fill your car boot with wine barrels, so there won't be any place for militaria.

6. Martin Bull

7. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Nice thread Martin, I have yet to get a zeltbahn...but its on my "to get list".....which is very long I might add!

8. jagdpanther44

Much like my list, Andy. I'm forever adding items to mine! :)

Ahhh! The joys of militaria collecting....:rolleyes:

9. AndyPants

AndyPants Ace

Ah yes John, Im starting to wonder how exactally Im going to continue to fund my ever growing list of wanted militaria....on the bright side anything I currently own can only increase in value! .....but a nice Zelt will have to be got ;)

10. gunbunnyb/3/75FA

gunbunnyb/3/75FA Member

ah, crap, yet another forum im gonna hafta join.

11. Martin Bull

Oh, I'm pleased with this one which has just arrived, courtesy of Deutsch E-Bay ( another rough-but-cheap one which I pounced on ) ......

Hardest of the Zeltbahns to find ( except the mythical/legendary 'SS' ones :rolleyes: ) are the late-war ones. After 1943, production was simplified and quality reduced. Late-war Zelts are much less durable. The stamp on this one has almost gone, but the '43' date can still be faintly seen. Typical are the reduced number of grommets at the corners ; -

[​IMG]

And the single grommet ( in place of 2 ) at the centre of the base.....

[​IMG]

Also very apparent are the poorer-quality stitching and thin-ness of the fabric ( it weighs only about 2/3 of the earlier ones ).

A very :) ing addition to my collection........

12. jagdpanther44

This arrived today, a nice period photo of Wehrmacht soldiers relaxing next to their four man shelter made from their Zeltbahns.

[​IMG]

13. Martin Bull

....and more than one use of the Zeltbahn can be seen in this one from my snapshot collection....

[​IMG]

14. jagdpanther44

I'd love one of those BMW R12 motorcycles.

They are most probably as common as hens teeth these days and would also cost the earth. :(

15. Martin Bull

A rather nice photo from my 'Eastern Front' collection......Zeltbahnen in field use, horses, K98s,Russian huts....and mud.....

[​IMG]

16. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Mud , cold and rain, on this pic they probably didn't know yet, which hell they were about to face.

17. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

A great one I just found in my archives. RK recalls, Binos etc.. for these four kamaraden sharing their Bahn.

[​IMG]

Hufflepuff likes this.
  18. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

A big box arrived today from Germany with 4 M-31 Zeltbahnen in it!

[​IMG]

Details with unfolded tents and markings will follow.

19. Martin Bull

How could I not 'like' a posting like that ! :D

Finding and deciphering markings will give you some hours of fun, Skipper................

20. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

I will Martin, I have only spotted two with markings so far (one with a code and 38 and one with a maker from kassel.) I will post pictures asap. I have also received 3 alumium poles from a Polish digger near the former Weischel frontline